The Student Room Group

Can I take 4 weeks of holidays from Tesco?

Hi guys
Hope you all are well!
This is my first ever post in this blog.
I have recenlty started working at Tesco ( 16 April 2016 )
I was due to take two weeks of holidys , but because i did not visit backhome ( india ) for 4 years, i booked my return ticket after 4 weeks :s-smilie:
And now when Tesco holiday form is in front of me :frown::frown::frown:
I AM REALLY STRESSED!

will i get 4 weeks of holidays from Tesco? Or i can be sacked!!!!!

I am stressed

There is no way i will cancel the ticket now as i wont get a refund. . and i really wanna spend time with family ! :frown:

Please suggest me what to do????

Thankyou very much in advance :smile: xX
Reply 1
If someone can respond please :frown:
Original post by mrsadnan26
Hi guys
Hope you all are well!
This is my first ever post in this blog.
I have recenlty started working at Tesco ( 16 April 2016 )
I was due to take two weeks of holidys , but because i did not visit backhome ( india ) for 4 years, i booked my return ticket after 4 weeks :s-smilie:
And now when Tesco holiday form is in front of me :frown::frown::frown:
I AM REALLY STRESSED!

will i get 4 weeks of holidays from Tesco? Or i can be sacked!!!!!

I am stressed

There is no way i will cancel the ticket now as i wont get a refund. . and i really wanna spend time with family ! :frown:

Please suggest me what to do????

Thankyou very much in advance :smile: xX

Was the ticket booked before you got offered the job? If so, they have to honour pre-booked holidays (I think... I had a 6 weeks pre-booked holiday and they let me go).

If not, ask them for unpaid leave. I think everyone gets 6 weeks of holiday per year, but you just started so...
Have you asked or looked for what the Tesco policy is? Its normally contained in a staff handbook, which they will inform you about at training. I would read that first so you understand what they will and wont allow. As you say you have already booked the ticket and you have decided not to return after 4 weeks whether they like it or not. If this was in palce before you started the job, then you should have made them aware and if you did it after you started, then thats a risky thing to do, especually as you havent been there a month yet.

Go and check the handbook.

I cna only see them having to nonour the pre book if they knew about it and agreed it was ok.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by Peppercrunch
Was the ticket booked before you got offered the job? If so, they have to honour pre-booked holidays (I think... I had a 6 weeks pre-booked holiday and they let me go).

If not, ask them for unpaid leave. I think everyone gets 6 weeks of holiday per year, but you just started so...

Unpaiid leave sounds fine....
Is unpaid leave common?
Reply 5
Original post by 999tigger
Have you asked or looked for what the Tesco policy is? Its normally contained in a staff handbook, which they will inform you about at training. I would read that first so you understand what they will and wont allow. As you say you have already booked the ticket and you have decided not to return after 4 weeks whether they like it or not. If this was in palce before you started the job, then you should have made them aware and if you did it after you started, then thats a risky thing to do, especually as you havent been there a month yet.

Go and check the handbook.

I cna only see them having to nonour the pre book if they knew about it and agreed it was ok.

No..it was not pre booked! It was in my mind only!
Read the Tesco policy and talk to your manager. its obvious what the answer is.
The only other solution is to take unpaid holiday.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by mrsadnan26
Unpaiid leave sounds fine....
Is unpaid leave common?

Well, I'm currently on 6 weeks unpaid study leave. It depends on your manager to be honest. If they are more understanding, they should be able to sort something out with you.

Just ask them.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending