The Student Room Group

RE: No idea what I want to study at degree level !

Original post by Gapyearstudent54
You can.. you may have to redo the first year, or be very convincing in the first few weeks, but the majority of unis let you change your course within that first few months if the one you've chosen isn't right for you...

"redo the first year"
"be very convincing"

So, not that easy/practical then...

Posted from TSR Mobile
You can always change your degree when at uni...

You can.. you may have to redo the first year, or be very convincing in the first few weeks, but the majority of unis let you change your course within that first few months if the one you've chosen isn't right for you...

The problem lies in your use of the word 'always' because it is factually incorrect, as you admit in your second post.

This 'swap when you get there' idea is rarely true for Law. Most LLB courses require LNAT and you cannot take this retrospectively. Places are highly competitive and Law will have exact caps on numbers. And by the time 'a few months' have passed you will have missed the vital introductory stuff. Law is a professional training. It is a vocation. And it is hard work. It isnt a 'subject' you think you might have a go at because you dont fancy the reality of your current course.

If you want to read Law, apply for Law.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by returnmigrant
This 'swap when you get there' idea is rarely true for Law. Most LLB courses require LNAT and you cannot take this retrospectively. Places are highly competitive and Law will have exact caps on numbers. And by the time 'a few months' have passed you will have missed the vital introductory stuff. Law is a professional training. It is a vocation. And it is hard work. It isnt a 'subject' you think you might have a go at because you dont fancy the reality of your current course.

I'm not going to argue over technicalities in word use. I was merely trying to reassure OP that you're not stuck in a course if you apply for one, and you can change courses.

Jeesh, you guys are so pedantic. I forgot that some people on here are like this.
Original post by ageshallnot
The problem lies in your use of the word 'always' because it is factually incorrect, as you admit in your second post.

As said before, you're being picky about word choice. Was merely trying to reassure OP that what you initially choose to do at uni,you're not stuck with.
Original post by returnmigrant

Also. OP is worried if they choose law they may want to change. Not change TO law. Jeesh.
Reply 6
As said before, you're being picky about word choice. Was merely trying to reassure OP that what you initially choose to do at uni,you're not stuck with.

The OP is trying to make some important decisions. They can only do that properly if they receive accurate answers and advice.

It's not a matter of being pedantic for the sake of it... This isn't the Chat forum.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by jneill
The OP is trying to make some important decisions. They can only do that properly if they receive accurate answers and advice.

It's not a matter of being pedantic for the sake of it... This isn't the Chat forum.

Posted from TSR Mobile

If they choose law and hate it, it's not the end of the world. How about I go contact every single uni and double check my answer with them? Or shall we just be pessimistic. I know people who have switched from law to another subject, but hey ho, sorry OP, whatever you choose at uni is the end, you can NEVER switch, :smile:
I'm not going to argue over technicalities in word use. I was merely trying to reassure OP that you're not stuck in a course if you apply for one, and you can change courses.

Jeesh, you guys are so pedantic. I forgot that some people on here are like this.

You are confusing pedantry with accuracy. As @jneill has pointed out, giving inaccurate advice could lead to someone making the wrong decision.

Perhaps you will learn the difference when you start your university course, which appears to require a certain degree of accuracy. If you submit work containing sweeping, inaccurate generalisations then I predict marks deservedly in the 2.2 range.

Also, I wonder if you appreciate the fact that one of the people you accuse of pedantry works in admissions at the university you aspire to attend?
You can always change your degree when at uni...

Thats awful advice, because a lot of the time you cant
You are confusing pedantry with accuracy. As @jneill has pointed out, giving inaccurate advice could lead to someone making the wrong decision.

Perhaps you will learn the difference when you start your university course, which appears to require a certain degree of accuracy. If you submit work containing sweeping, inaccurate generalisations then I predict marks deservedly in the 2.2 range.

Also, I wonder if you appreciate the fact that one of the people you accuse of pedantry works in admissions at the university you aspire to attend?

a) they don't work in admissions at a uni, and B) you have no idea what uni I'm actually going to attend. Yes, it could be X uni, but it may also be Y uni in the end, or maybe no uni at all. Again, you have no idea.

Also, you're downgrading a 2:2 degree: there could be many people reading this who are trying to uni to get a 2:2 degree, so thats quite disrespectful and insensitive on your part.

But OP would not be stuck in a degree at a uni, it is quite possible to change course, change uni, or completely reapply (I met a guy at an Oxford interview who had dropped out of durham after a year and was then going on to go to Oxford). There are also unis that will do a transfer from other unis. I also have a friend who dropped out of 1st year Law and went to do History at a Russel Group uni, another who dropped out of veterinary science at X uni to study another subject at Y uni.
Reply 11
a) they don't work in admissions at a uni,

For the avoidance of your misconception, @ageshallnot is not referring to me.
a) they don't work in admissions at a uni, and B) you have no idea what uni I'm actually going to attend. Yes, it could be X uni, but it may also be Y uni in the end, or maybe no uni at all. Again, you have no idea.

Also, you're downgrading a 2:2 degree: there could be many people reading this who are trying to uni to get a 2:2 degree, so thats quite disrespectful and insensitive on your part.

But OP would not be stuck in a degree at a uni, it is quite possible to change course, change uni, or completely reapply (I met a guy at an Oxford interview who had dropped out of durham after a year and was then going on to go to Oxford). There are also unis that will do a transfer from other unis. I also have a friend who dropped out of 1st year Law and went to do History at a Russel Group uni, another who dropped out of veterinary science at X uni to study another subject at Y uni.

I think you will find that @returnmigrant is at Bristol and either works, or has recently worked, in admissions. From looking at your posts, I believe you plan to study Economics and Accounting at Bristol.

I might well be insensitive - it's one of the reasons I could never be a mod. However, I stand by my statement that inaccurate generalisations are typical of work in the 2.2 range.

I never said the OP would be 'stuck in a degree'. I disagreed with your assertion that 'you can always change when you get there', which was clearly aimed at people changing at the same university - see post #17, which I quoted back at you in my original criticism. The examples you cite are not relevant to that scenario.
I think you will find that @returnmigrant is at Bristol and either works, or has recently worked, in admissions. From looking at your posts, I believe you plan to study Economics and Accounting at Bristol.

I might well be insensitive - it's one of the reasons I could never be a mod. However, I stand by my statement that inaccurate generalisations are typical of work in the 2.2 range.

I never said the OP would be 'stuck in a degree'. I disagreed with your assertion that 'you can always change when you get there', which was clearly aimed at people changing at the same university - see post #17, which I quoted back at you in my original criticism. The examples you cite are not relevant to that scenario.

gosh, you guys are being mean. Gapyear only tried to help the OP.

I do agree with them that its possible for OP to change course at uni if needed, it may mean repeating first year. but its definitely not the end of the world :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending