The Student Room Group

I voted Leave and 2 things are really making me regret it

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Elivercury
Except apparently Scots had been voting leave to get a second referendum? Plenty of leave advocates on this site were counting on it. What was low about the voter turnout? It was about 70% was it not?

Also had young people had the same turnout (ignoring 16-18 year olds) then remain would have won. So once again young voters don't bother voting then complain when the older voters get to call all the shots. Ridiculous.

The ones moaning about "older voters getting to call the shots" were the ones that voted themselves, obviously :facepalm:
Original post by ComputerMaths97
I'm almost certain I made 1 post on this thread by the time you made that comment. But yeah, all my posts. All 1 of them.

I'm going to assume you mean that as an insult.

Still don't have a clue what you think my political beliefs are, but it's a bit irrelevant don't you think?

You seem like the type of person that ignores a good argument if you disagree with it. But that's just a random opinion that has nothing to do with the brexit issues at hand, equally irrelevant as your comments seem.

I take it you were on the losing side of the referendum? :colonhash:
Original post by Manchester_123

I take it you'd treat me differently based on the potential 2 answers I can give to this question.

But by your attitude I can tell you were not. Depressing really
Original post by Naveed-7
Ofcourse. I believe in the super powers of Great Britain. I believe we will recover and our economy will be much better than if we had Remained.

I wish I could believe. However, we will never know which was more successful.

If we had Remained, we would have been even more ****ed. You have absolutely no idea how much. The bankers of this country and outside of this country have their own agenda. We just saved your asses.

Do you really think the politicians will now have the power to reign in the city? Yeah right. Politicians have never been more powerful than the media or big business.

Just relax guys. Just relax! Go make a sandwich or something, or have an ice cream, enjoy the democracy and relax. Everything will be fine. Stop worrying people.

You are right here. Everything on average will be fine, unless you happen to work for a company that decides to relocate, or you are living on the edge and prices go up (they will) or you have a mortgage you can no longer afford because interest rates have gone sky high, or you rent and your rent rises. But yeah - at least you can enjoy democracy.

It looks like we are all on the losing side of the referendum. Moodies has now downgraded our credit rating to negative.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-eu-referendum-36626201
Lmao no you didn't vote leave at all did you. Just trying to make a catchy title with a "different" perspective. Don't lie. I've not come across any leavers who regret a bleeding thing. Especially not in these after hours of glory. Stop it remainers, it's getting pathetic now. And if you are a leaver (I doubt it) you really need to stop letting these butthurt remainers intimidate you.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 67
If we had Remained, we would have been even more ****ed. You have absolutely no idea how much. The bankers of this country and outside of this country have their own agenda. We just saved your asses.

It was Mark Carney and the BANK of England who saved the UK yesterday by writing a cheque for £250 Billion.

Meanwhile Moody's has downgraded the UKs credit status meaning that government borrowing will be more expensive.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-eu-referendum-36626201
The ones moaning about "older voters getting to call the shots" were the ones that voted themselves, obviously :facepalm:

Presumably, but this doesn't change the fact that they should be complaining about their peers apathy and laziness rather than the older generation exercising their right to vote.
Original post by 0to100
Lmao no you didn't vote leave at all did you. Just trying to make a catchy title with a "different" perspective. Don't lie. I've not come across any leavers who regret a bleeding thing. Especially not in these after hours of glory. Stop it remainers, it's getting pathetic now. And if you are a leaver (I doubt it) you really need to stop letting these butthurt remainers intimidate you.

I know a couple of leave voters who regret their decision, but they voted by post a few weeks back. I do agree that less than 24 hours is a bit quick for second thoughts!
I bet that people like Gove didn't actually care whether or not we left the EU, they just knew that if they were front-runners of the opposing side of a referendum to the PM, that they'd have a shot at being the next PM.

You've all been played.

I'm not sure about Gove, but that's definitely true for Johnson; he's a conniving opportunist. He has always been an EU supporter, until he saw a chance to overtake Cameron.
I know a couple of leave voters who regret their decision, but they voted by post a few weeks back. I do agree that less than 24 hours is a bit quick for second thoughts!

How do you know they're leavers? Were you with them when they voted. I wouldn't trust such a flip flopper anyway, regardless if they are lying about their vote or not. The main reason the average citizen would regret anything would be out of letting remainers get in their heads. Maybe they have some remainer mates who won't stfu, dunno. Like celebrities man. They're limousine liberals, the pretenders who try to act all politically pragmatic you know. They normally go liberal to not sadden their fans :rolleyes: Beckham really pissed me off when he said his reason for remaining was about his ****ing football. Shows you how stupid some people are, don't even understand the seriousness of this.
In 10 years, here will be the situation.

The economy will be recovering, we'll be in good shape and exactly the same as we was a few weeks ago, with a equally positive looking growth.

Immigration numbers will be the same, or higher (due to population increases), all that would've changed is the number coming from the EU. If anything, it will be more mulitcultural.

The NHS would've either been privised, or equally under-invested in as now.

We'll still be in a ton of debt.

We'll still be paying foreign aid.

We'll have the exact same laws, rules and power.

Unless UKIP gain power, then things will change. For the worst.
Presumably, but this doesn't change the fact that they should be complaining about their peers apathy and laziness rather than the older generation exercising their right to vote.

See, wording things differently doesn't make you right.

You could've also said "about the lack of information their peers had on the situation, rather than the older generations decision to have their say in the younger generations future" and it makes it sound like the young did nothing wrong.

I tried doing so much research but everywhere is just biased, worded, like you just showed, to suit an agenda. It's all bullocks. There's no real information for us, the only people with "info" are the older people since they've been around longer, but I still guarentee they're deluded on the whole situation.

I guarentee over 95% of voters, for both sides, were doing so for reasons that were either flat out lies or manipulated truths, but that's all the info we get in this corrupt political world.
I Voted Leave, and I dont regret my decision at all. Everything is going well, just as I hoped:

The financial market of UK has calmed after Mark Carney, the governor of Bank of England has said that he will inject £250 billion into the financial system to steady the economy.

Loyd's, RBS and Barclays all dropped 20% in one day. If this is your plan then I would kindly ask you to migrate to elsewhere.

I don't think these people understand what has happened. When you get a letter from your bank saying that your interest rate will be 0, it might start to sink in.
Reply 75
In 10 years, here will be the situation.

The economy will be recovering, we'll be in good shape and exactly the same as we was a few weeks ago, with a equally positive looking growth.

Immigration numbers will be the same, or higher (due to population increases), all that would've changed is the number coming from the EU. If anything, it will be more mulitcultural.

The NHS would've either been privised, or equally under-invested in as now.

We'll still be in a ton of debt.

We'll still be paying foreign aid.

We'll have the exact same laws, rules and power.

Unless UKIP gain power, then things will change. For the worst.

Good post.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I wanted to vote leave to send a message to the establishment. That was the thinking of most of my friends too. We wanted them to wake up. Leave were never suppose to win. The polls all said remain won, it was not our fault, the polls said remain would win anyway, so we wanted to make it close :frown:

I've heard this so much in the last 24 hours I'm starting to think I'm surrounded by dumbasses.
Original post by Sebastian Bartlett
1) I didn't believe that Scotland would be so Pro-EU and I do not wish for the UK to break up. Which it still may not but it is more of a risk than thought likely. I would prefer a United Britain in the EU than a fragmented one out (my top choice would be a united out but that is looking increasingly less likely to happen).

2) The younger votes have been ignored. As a young voter myself I do see the reasons for remaining and since this will be the demographic most affected I also believe it should have been us that led the results. Since they have voted more in favour of In than anticipated and now (too late I may add) so many pro-remainers are coming out making the positive case I am finding that I shouldn't have been so stubborn in my position and likely tossed out perfectly good points that I should have considered more deeply.

I hope I made the right decision, one that I was increasingly on the fence for after I had already cast my postal vote, but it's looking increasingly likely I didn't. However, i would like to point out a United Country could make this work for all of our benefit. We may just have to accept the result and move on for the future.

I will also be looking at politics and my views in much more detail than before as I feel my passion for certain issue has weakened my ability to make an actual rational decision. If anything comes of this I hope everyone learns from any mistakes they may have made and that they realise name calling, insults, arrogance, complacency etc are not the way to conduct a debate.

At least you're honest. Some leavers are still in denial when the worst is already gradually happening. Not only may Scotland leave, but a domino effect may set in where other countries like France may leave the EU also. People seem to forget that they EU was made after WW2 as a way to keep peace between nations, to promise no more wars. When countries start leaving, don't be surprised if wars arise again in Europe since the countries who leave have no limitations set by the EU on war.
I voted leave and I'm thrilled with the outcome.

1) Discussions about the policies of the EU may begin internally.
2) It's forced a change in leadership in the Conservative party and may also do the same for the opposition.#
3) Housing prices may drop and interest may rise. As a prospective house owner with savings, this is the perfect situation for me, and actually for 99% of young people, which makes me realise just have short-sighted and fiscally naive many people are nowadays,
OK guys calm down. What's done is done. I couldn't vote, I'm too young, so I'm just learning to accept what's been implemented. There's no point blaming people voting leave and being terribly hostile to each other. I partly blame the media and the news stations for over emphasising this event. Sure, the pound dropped, but that was because the media made it seem like remain was going to usurp leave. Even though I had an inkling that this wasn't the case. This meant a lot of people invested in the pound and when the results for leave kept cascading in, the value dropped. It natural for that to happen and it's a bit of an over reaction from everybody.
Also, I blame the media for using words such as 'catastrophe' and 'disaster', because of the results because in the end, this is going to cause a lot of tension and uncertainty. How was the result a fail, if there was only two outcomes, leave and remain. We don't KNOW what will happen if we'd have stayed in the EU. We don't KNOW what will happen if we leave. Surely, we should have the incentive to support the decision of the British people and stop being so pessimistic. It was a democracy. The people voted, the results are clear. It's natural to regret your vote, and I'm sure if the results were reversed plenty would regret voting remain. But don't worry, if everyone was just positive about the results then we'd be fine. About the second Scottish referendum, I really dislike Nicola Sturgeon. They've had one already and the results were clear. She didn't get the results she wanted now she wants one again, further adding catastrophe.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending