The Student Room Group

2017 Bristol medicine hopefuls

Scroll to see replies

Any offer holders, make this thread more live please! https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?p=70377754&highlight=
Original post by BadLashes
True but it does not stop it hurting when you have just failed to get into your first choice twice especially when on both occasions they have been considering your application until the beginning of March. Also when you see on hear that many have got interviews with weaker GCSE AS & A2 and UKCAT marks. I felt that I made a great effort on my PS as well as a great effort in working in difficult situations as a HCA. I had hoped this would have strengthened my application. My PS will be higher than last years I have no doubt but my A Levels did not meet my predicted so my score has gone down on that front.

It is easier to accept being rejected pre-interview from somewhere if you know a concrete reason as UKCAT below cutoff or not enough GCSE points etc.

I will be interested in hearing my feedback even though I will not be applying again but I know others will need my advice. Applying twice for medicine and trolling through these forums I feel that I could set up a business in advising people on their best options depending upon what they have got to offer!

Hi Badlashes. I am the mum of a Bristol applicant this year (and we have shared this log in!) and I am really sorry to read that you were not successful on your second application. I have followed your posts and was really hoping that this was going to be your year. My only observation from reading your posts and knowing how my son's PS was structured is that Bristol appear to place as much emphasis on extra-curricular activities as they do on academics and work experience (which is why he loves Bristol so much). My son's PS had approx. 30% content relating to his sporting activities and travelling. I wish you lots of luck for the future and I am sure you will be amazing.
Original post by Nicecuppat
I should have asked what the procedure is for requesting feedback from Bristol? It's one he'd like to reapply to (following thorough research) so he needs to know how to improve his application. Also, please post here when you hear from Keele-have it all crossed for you!

Do ask for feedback and they will give it - someone above has given the email.

If yours son does want to reapply then my advice would be to get a job as a health care assistant working in the community. He will be not only earn some money but the experience he will gain will be far more than someone volunteering in a care home for a couple of hours per week. If he wanted to apply to Keele again they love this as they want to know exactly what you have done for someone and what impact you have made to them. My advice would be to apply early for his security clearance as he can not start until that is through. I had my PS completed before my clearance came through so I could only mention that I was doing that in my gap year. When the R&R form from Keele came in I had been in the role for a few weeks so had plenty to say and was able to report on a lot of hours.

I really liked Keele when I was there and I felt I got on well with the interviewers. I therefor have my fingers crossed! I will let you know and good luck to your son!
Original post by NYC123
Hi Badlashes. I am the mum of a Bristol applicant this year (and we have shared this log in!) and I am really sorry to read that you were not successful on your second application. I have followed your posts and was really hoping that this was going to be your year. My only observation from reading your posts and knowing how my son's PS was structured is that Bristol appear to place as much emphasis on extra-curricular activities as they do on academics and work experience (which is why he loves Bristol so much). My son's PS had approx. 30% content relating to his sporting activities and travelling. I wish you lots of luck for the future and I am sure you will be amazing.

Hi, thanks for your kind words. Last year that is what they told me. I did not have enough extra curricular etc on there. So this year I bought a book on "How to write a Personal Statement" and in that book they detailed a lot of personal statements and which universities that they were accepted in. I studied the ones that had been successful at Bristol .
I wrote a lot about my music as I have grade 8 in 2 instruments and play in an orchestra. I spoke about I felt when we played in the Royal Albert Hall etc .
I also wrote about my hockey which I enjoy but I am very much a social played as I try but am not the most skillful. Anyway I worked out I had written about 30% extra curricular and last year it was just 10%

Last year I put in the true reason why I wanted to be a doctor which was that I lost my brother to cancer and he was only 2 years older than me. On here someone said that Universities hate people to say the loss of a relative inspired their career choice. I therefore took this out and had to come up with an alternative reason but it was not the truth.

My PS was so geared to Bristol - I even had a girl in her final year at Bristol read it for me. She and her friends are very surprised I did not make an interview. I did all I could and I think Bristol is a lottery - far more than other universities.

Good Luck to your son at Bristol x
Anyone else waiting for Bristol? I haven't heard a peep out of them since the christmas email. I'm not too fussed whether it's an interview or rejection but I'd really wish they would hurry up :/
He's really quite up for a gap year to be honest and there are a lot of HA jobs advertised regularly so I think that would definitely be his way forward. He's considering trying A level biology over that year and just seeing what he can get, it would open up a lot more choices to him and keep his mind busy when not at work! I was sorry to hear about the loss of your brother and how you felt you couldn't put that as your inspiration for your career choice. Medicine applications are definitely a game for tacticians. I look forward to hearing some good news from you anyway!
Do ask for feedback and they will give it - someone above has given the email.

If yours son does want to reapply then my advice would be to get a job as a health care assistant working in the community. He will be not only earn some money but the experience he will gain will be far more than someone volunteering in a care home for a couple of hours per week. If he wanted to apply to Keele again they love this as they want to know exactly what you have done for someone and what impact you have made to them. My advice would be to apply early for his security clearance as he can not start until that is through. I had my PS completed before my clearance came through so I could only mention that I was doing that in my gap year. When the R&R form from Keele came in I had been in the role for a few weeks so had plenty to say and was able to report on a lot of hours.

I really liked Keele when I was there and I felt I got on well with the interviewers. I therefor have my fingers crossed! I will let you know and good luck to your son!
Reply 1986
Original post by hxrl3yB00
Anyone else waiting for Bristol? I haven't heard a peep out of them since the christmas email. I'm not too fussed whether it's an interview or rejection but I'd really wish they would hurry up :/

I am !
Original post by afife
I am !

Whoop! Someone else! I feel neglected, ngl. Have you heard back from your other choices?

I am too, there aren't many of us left now
Reply 1989
Whoop! Someone else! I feel neglected, ngl. Have you heard back from your other choices?

No, I've had interviews at Leicester and Keele but still absolutely nothing and its March haha.
Original post by afife
No, I've had interviews at Leicester and Keele but still absolutely nothing and its March haha.

I presumed that most universities would reject their rejection pile by February at least but nope... One of my other choices said they may offer interviews in April and May if they're not happy with the ones given out.
Reply 1991
I presumed that most universities would reject their rejection pile by February at least but nope... One of my other choices said they may offer interviews in April and May if they're not happy with the ones given out.

Really that's so late where is that? I'd be pretty disappointed if I got rejected from Bristol at this stage I've been waiting for agess.
Original post by mouse5dudley
I am too, there aren't many of us left now

Where else have you applied?
Original post by afife
Really that's so late where is that? I'd be pretty disappointed if I got rejected from Bristol at this stage I've been waiting for agess.

BSMS ... it's for the applicants that are on their reserve list. I'm the opposite, at this stage, I really couldn't care less- sure I'd love an interview but if I didn't get one, I wouldn't be disappointed.
Where else have you applied?

I have an offer from Sheffield and an interview Nottingham and UEA. Sheffield and Bristol are joint top, so if i get an interview/offer I'll have to choose and if I get a pre interview rejection from Bristol, I will withdraw my applications from the other 2 :smile: How about you?
Original post by mouse5dudley
I have an offer from Sheffield and an interview Nottingham and UEA. Sheffield and Bristol are joint top, so if i get an interview/offer I'll have to choose and if I get a pre interview rejection from Bristol, I will withdraw my applications from the other 2 :smile: How about you?

Congratulations on your offer! Coudn't you firm one and insure the other instead of rejecting one?
Leeds- interview completed
Cardiff- pre interview rejection
BSMS- priority.. still waiting
Hi, thanks for your kind words. Last year that is what they told me. I did not have enough extra curricular etc on there. So this year I bought a book on "How to write a Personal Statement" and in that book they detailed a lot of personal statements and which universities that they were accepted in. I studied the ones that had been successful at Bristol .
I wrote a lot about my music as I have grade 8 in 2 instruments and play in an orchestra. I spoke about I felt when we played in the Royal Albert Hall etc .
I also wrote about my hockey which I enjoy but I am very much a social played as I try but am not the most skillful. Anyway I worked out I had written about 30% extra curricular and last year it was just 10%

Last year I put in the true reason why I wanted to be a doctor which was that I lost my brother to cancer and he was only 2 years older than me. On here someone said that Universities hate people to say the loss of a relative inspired their career choice. I therefore took this out and had to come up with an alternative reason but it was not the truth.

My PS was so geared to Bristol - I even had a girl in her final year at Bristol read it for me. She and her friends are very surprised I did not make an interview. I did all I could and I think Bristol is a lottery - far more than other universities.

I

I totally agree ,Bristol is a lottery.
I have been rejected pre interview. I knew it was a mistake applying to Bristol and wish i had never applied there. It depends who reads your PS and how they score it. I cant believe that they rejected a candidate like you who have great amount of work experience and heaps of extra curricular hobbies etc.
I just applied there as i lived about an hour away from Bristol and was not necessarily in love with Bristol. I really wish you luck with your Keele application and you should get the offer.
My advice to anyone applying for Medicine next year is that " if you have sensible UKCAT and sensible predictions ,then don't waste one of your choices by applying to Bristol" as there are many other great med schools, where you will get interviewed at least with good UKCAT score and hence more chance of receiving an offer.
Reply 1998

Personal statements are the most ridiculous way to assess applicants, especially using it for such a large proportion of the pre-interview score.

I wouldn't listen too much to anyone apart from admissions teams about what to put in your personal statement, as generally people don't really know what they're talking about. I was told that universities don't want to hear loads about your extracurricular activities, so you shouldn't put more than a sentence or two in. I got rejected pre-interview from Bristol (obviously), and when I asked for feedback I got 1/5 in that section and 4-5/5 in the others. They said that on average students got nearly 5/5 in every section.
Original post by Nicecuppat
He's really quite up for a gap year to be honest and there are a lot of HA jobs advertised regularly so I think that would definitely be his way forward. He's considering trying A level biology over that year and just seeing what he can get, it would open up a lot more choices to him and keep his mind busy when not at work! I was sorry to hear about the loss of your brother and how you felt you couldn't put that as your inspiration for your career choice. Medicine applications are definitely a game for tacticians. I look forward to hearing some good news from you anyway!

I think being a Health Care adviser would be a good idea
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending