The Student Room Group

2017 Bristol medicine hopefuls

Scroll to see replies

Original post by wesxquadros
Does anyone else not realise it's a complete joke they've given offers out before they've even interviewed everyone

how could they possibly know a candidate theyve interviewed in november is better than one theyre going to interview in march

the whole process is a complete joke and just massively biased towards people who are lucky enough to get an early interview in whatever stupid selection system they use

Well no, not really considering most universities will give out early offers to those that were deemed exceptionally good. The most likely case with Bristol is that they look at the performance of each interview 'clump', decide who did well enough to get an offer and give them out. But this practice is done in several universities already so I think it's unfair just to single Bristol out on this.
Original post by CutieTootsie
But say they score interviews and they are planning on having a cut-off score to give out offers...if an interviewee got full marks (or near full marks) in their interview, why would you not give them an early offer?

Guys, y'all need to chill.

Exactly, it's such a common practice to make sure that they don't miss out on the high-scoring candidates.
Reply 1182
Original post by CutieTootsie
But say they score interviews and they are planning on having a cut-off score to give out offers...if an interviewee got full marks (or near full marks) in their interview, why would you not give them an early offer?

Guys, y'all need to chill.

It's easy to say when you already have an interview.

So many of us are completely in the dark here, so obviously we don't think it's fair that people have offers and some of us haven't had any form of communication from Bristol

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1183
The thing is, they've deemed candidates outstanding, but they haven't gotten around to everyone's application- what if some of these applications are even better but they've run out of interview slots and offers?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1184
Original post by Charms tee
It's hard to understand why they are giving out offers to some and no communication with others. liverpool are waiting until they have reviewed all the applications therefore giving everyone a fair chance

Yeah I'm waiting on Liverpool too and I much prefer their system as we're all in the same boat

Posted from TSR Mobile
Cardiff give all their interviews out at the same time. They had 2 interview weeks in December and one at the end of Jan. They say that they will not give any offers until they have finished all interviewing. Their system is far less agonising. Therefore I am not agonising over checking track etc at this moment. I don't see the benefit of sending out early offers. From what I gather the majority of people wait until they have heard from all their choices before making a decision - even if they have an offer from their favourite uni. I bet very few would firm Bristol at this stage in the cycle. Bristol's system of doing things is frustrating to us all. They have made a few happy people but upset the majority and what is the point in that.
Reply 1186
Original post by BadLashes
Cardiff give all their interviews out at the same time. They had 2 interview weeks in December and one at the end of Jan. They say that they will not give any offers until they have finished all interviewing. Their system is far less agonising. Therefore I am not agonising over checking track etc at this moment. I don't see the benefit of sending out early offers. From what I gather the majority of people wait until they have heard from all their choices before making a decision - even if they have an offer from their favourite uni. I bet very few would firm Bristol at this stage in the cycle. Bristol's system of doing things is frustrating to us all. They have made a few happy people but upset the majority and what is the point in that.

Completely agree, besides, don't you have to hear a response from every uni before firming and insuring? Unless you withdraw from the ones you haven't heard from?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Bristol have interviewed for many years and I can understand why you guys would want to complain as it is annoying being left in the lurch. I also haven't heard anything since the email saying they've received my application, so I can empathise with the situation. I think you just have to stay positive and what will be will be; if they have some great applications at the end of the pile, they will probably add more interview dates as they wouldn't want to lose out. Honestly, I think it is kinda rude to accuse a university of not knowing what they're doing when this isn't your speciality and you guys won't have any/little experience with the interview process until now. Some of you sound angry and like you've given up on Bristol, which would make it even more devastating if some of you got interviews and candidates who really loved and stayed 'faithful' to Bristol were rejected. Just think how lucky you are to be applying in the first place!

PS sorry for the rant :smile: Have a nice winter break!!
Original post by mouse5dudley
Bristol have interviewed for many years and I can understand why you guys would want to complain as it is annoying being left in the lurch. I also haven't heard anything since the email saying they've received my application, so I can empathise with the situation. I think you just have to stay positive and what will be will be; if they have some great applications at the end of the pile, they will probably add more interview dates as they wouldn't want to lose out. Honestly, I think it is kinda rude to accuse a university of not knowing what they're doing when this isn't your speciality and you guys won't have any/little experience with the interview process until now. Some of you sound angry and like you've given up on Bristol, which would make it even more devastating if some of you got interviews and candidates who really loved and stayed 'faithful' to Bristol were rejected. Just think how lucky you are to be applying in the first place!

PS sorry for the rant :smile: Have a nice winter break!!

I understand your point but even an automated email reassuring us that they haven't forgotten about us would be greatly appreciated.

They should understand that it's really stressful for us too so when people receive a "still considering" email when it means nothing, it makes the others wonder why they haven't received one too...

We're all staying "faithful" to Bristol as none of us have withdrawn our application.

And I don't see why we should be seen as "lucky" to apply... We worked hard to be in this position. At least I did.

Have a nice new year and best of luck.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by BadLashes

Okay but we could say that Birmingham, Plymouth, King's and Nottingham (I'm sure there are plenty more but these come to my mind first) are also unfair as they do exactly the same thing. Unfortunately it's not supposed to be a system for your benefit, it's to make sure that at least they can make sure the top-scoring candidates who will probably be significantly above the cut-off at least can get their offers/decisions quickly so they can keep regulating the number of offers they can give throughout the season.

A silver lining to this is if there are spare offers remaining towards the end of the season, they can open up more interview dates for other people waiting (the do all offers at the end doesn't really work in this sense and just results in overly pre-longed AND A-Level distracting waiting lists which you won't find out about until May-ish anyways)

I just don't think getting frustrated over this is very productive, it's understandable of course but almost everyone is in the same shoes and one of the biggest challenges of applying to medicine is waiting (which is probably the biggest aspect of the application).
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Shencha
I understand your point but even an automated email reassuring us that they haven't forgotten about us would be greatly appreciated.

They should understand that it's really stressful for us too so when people receive a "still considering" email when it means nothing, it makes the others wonder why they haven't received one too...

We're all staying "faithful" to Bristol as none of us have withdrawn our application.

And I don't see why we should be seen as "lucky" to apply... We worked hard to be in this position. At least I did.

Posted from TSR Mobile

But it isn't their job to be doing this! I've received no such e-mail from any other university and literally just had to wait for a decision. The issue with such e-mails is that they don't always go out to everyone like you said and maybe because that has happened (I think) this time round, it may not be best to do this.
(edited 7 years ago)
Ok they have made it clear that applications are scored on a rolling basis. For us who have heard nothing we just have to content ourselves that we have just been unlucky in the order the applications are scored. Also hope that there are some interview slots left
Original post by Shencha

Posted from TSR Mobile

I admit, the way in which Bristol have done everything is annoying and it feels like we have been forgotten about, especially considering some people are hearing lots from them and others have heard nothing. In my opinion, we are reading far too much into the considering email situation and the uni knows what they're doing.
Faithful was the wrong word to use, but it was the only one i could think of; what i meant is that when applicants complain or disregard the hard work the admission's team put in and the experience they have in doing this whole process, it comes across as not liking Bristol and you would rather go to another university because of the way they've treated us in the admissions process, which is probably not the case. I really really love Bristol and it would be a bit annoying if someone who was wasn't in love with Bristol got an interview soon and those who are desperate for Bristol to acknowledge them didn't for example (I'm not saying they don't deserve it, of course everyone who is interviewed deserves an interview; i'm struggling to write what i mean in words!!)
By lucky I just meant that we are fortunate to live in a country with so many great medical schools and to be born with great intelligence and qualities which would let us have the most one of prestigious and important professions out there. Very few people are lucky enough to be in our position; i feel like some people forget that.
This is not supposed to be angry or argumentative, I just wanted to point out the other side of the argument and bring some positivity to the thread, not arguments!!
Original post by studentsixth
But it isn't their job to be doing this! I've received no such e-mail from any other university and literally just had to wait for a decision. The issue with such e-mails is that they don't always go out to everyone like you said and maybe because that has happened (I think) this time round, it may not be best to do this.

It is their job to take care of their applicants.

Bristol is different to other unis in the sense that it's 70% ps so we're completely in the dark, whereas with other unis you can guess with GCSEs and ukcat cut offs etc. Making it less difficult to wait as you can kind of guess.

Other ps heavy unis e.g Liverpool, are doing it all in one go, so you can't say that method doesn't work.

So I don't think a bit of communication regarding timescale is too much to ask for, it would also save them answering calls and emails.

I definitely think the still considering email does have meaning- otherwise more people would receive it in one go.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Shencha
It is their job to take care of their applicants.

Bristol is different to other unis in the sense that it's 70% ps so we're completely in the dark, whereas with other unis you can guess with GCSEs and ukcat cut offs etc. Making it less difficult to wait as you can kind of guess.

Other ps heavy unis e.g Liverpool, are doing it all in one go, so you can't say that method doesn't work.

So I don't think a bit of communication regarding timescale is too much to ask for, it would also save them answering calls and emails.

I definitely think the still considering email does have meaning- otherwise more people would receive it in one go.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I never said that it doesn't, but different unis will find different methods much better to work with. They've been doing this for years so they probably find this much better for their administration

I never mentioned that the e-mails meant nothing but now that you mentioned it, they probably don't as I'm sure I saw on last year's thread someone stating that they received like 2 of them before getting rejected.

Now that it's been made clear that it's a rolling process, it's quite apparent why you aren't getting any clear updates on your application, those that interview like this won't say anything until you get an interview and I know it sucks but unfortunately we can't do anything except wait!

Good Luck!
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by mouse5dudley
I admit, the way in which Bristol have done everything is annoying and it feels like we have been forgotten about, especially considering some people are hearing lots from them and others have heard nothing. In my opinion, we are reading far too much into the considering email situation and the uni knows what they're doing.
Faithful was the wrong word to use, but it was the only one i could think of; what i meant is that when applicants complain or disregard the hard work the admission's team put in and the experience they have in doing this whole process, it comes across as not liking Bristol and you would rather go to another university because of the way they've treated us in the admissions process, which is probably not the case. I really really love Bristol and it would be a bit annoying if someone who was wasn't in love with Bristol got an interview soon and those who are desperate for Bristol to acknowledge them didn't for example (I'm not saying they don't deserve it, of course everyone who is interviewed deserves an interview; i'm struggling to write what i mean in words!!)
By lucky I just meant that we are fortunate to live in a country with so many great medical schools and to be born with great intelligence and qualities which would let us have the most one of prestigious and important professions out there. Very few people are lucky enough to be in our position; i feel like some people forget that.
This is not supposed to be angry or argumentative, I just wanted to point out the other side of the argument and bring some positivity to the thread, not arguments!!

Hey, I wasn't trying to argue at all- a little hard to tell through a screen when we have opposing opinions.

I completely understand where you're coming from and for me, my frustration comes from how badly I want to go to Bristol, not because I'm ungrateful- so I can appreciate it could come across that way 😂

I understand that we're grateful to live in this country- but I thought you were speaking in terms of applying to Bristol.

Anyway, best of luck to you- and to everyone tbh! ❤️

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Shencha
Hey, I wasn't trying to argue at all- a little hard to tell through a screen when we have opposing opinions.

I completely understand where you're coming from and for me, my frustration comes from how badly I want to go to Bristol, not because I'm ungrateful- so I can appreciate it could come across that way 😂

I understand that we're grateful to live in this country- but I thought you were speaking in terms of applying to Bristol.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah i know, its really hard to tell over the student room!!! It's also kinda hard to express what you wanna say on here aswell 😂
What will be will be and hopefully you get the result you want!!
With any luck, we will find out soon, hopefully the first week on january but I'm forever wishing aha
Original post by studentsixth
I never said that it doesn't, but different unis will find different methods much better to work with. They've been doing this for years so they probably find this much better for their administration

I never mentioned that the e-mails meant nothing but now that you mentioned it, they probably don't as I'm sure I saw on last year's thread someone stating that they received like 2 of them before getting rejected.

Now that it's been made clear that it's a rolling process, it's quite apparent why you aren't getting any clear updates on your application, those that interview like this won't say anything until you get an interview and I know it sucks but unfortunately we can't do anything except wait!

Good Luck!

Sorry- I wasn't saying you said liverpools method didn't work- earlier here someone argued that it didn't so I was eliminating that point 😂

Anyhow... Let's just hope we hear soon

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Shencha

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes I thought it was more of a discussion tbh! 😂

But yes good luck to everyone! Hopefully after the New Years there will be more happy news!
Are Liverpool PS heavy now they are using the ukcat. Last year they had a ukcat cutoff.
It is really weird but I feel that I will get an interview. I was close last year and my PS is much better I feel and more in tune with what they want and I have the achieved grades. I feel like emailing them and saying that I applied there last year which shows my commitment to Bristol.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending