The Student Room Group

Does my work colleague hate me?

Hello.

I work part-time in a convenience store (for a supermarket, not naming names). Recently, I've begun to notice something odd with one of the team leaders (they lead shifts when the manager isn't there).

He always covers my Saturday shift and every time, he acts cold to me. For pretty much the past year since I started my job. When I get served by him, he never says 'Hi', or even acknowledges me, whereas he is all friendly with everyone else. When counting the money in tills, he always asks someone else to do it, and makes me move to a different one, which only he does (none of the other team leaders do that). He doesn't do that with anyone else either.

He expects me to do overtime and he doesn't listen at all to me. For example, on one Saturday, I had a morning flight at 10am the next day, so I would've had to be awake at 5:30am in order to get ready and go to the airport. He tried to make me stay till 11pm (1 hour later than my contracted hours), even when I told him numerous times in the hours before that I couldn't stay any longer.

With breaks, I ask him around 2-3 hours in advance whether or not a certain time is fine. He says yea, but then gets another colleague to be on their break at that time, so I have to start my break later, sometimes even 45 minutes later. I just feel this is... This also happened when he allowed someone to go on a 45 minute break at 9:30pm when I was supposed to leave at 10pm. He basically forced me to stay until 10:15pm.

Sorry if I sound a bit unreasonable, but I find these acts really irritating, as if he has something against me.

Any ideas why? Thank you.
Original post by Peppercrunch
Hello.

I work part-time in a convenience store (for a supermarket, not naming names). Recently, I've begun to notice something odd with one of the team leaders (they lead shifts when the manager isn't there).

He always covers my Saturday shift and every time, he acts cold to me. For pretty much the past year since I started my job. When I get served by him, he never says 'Hi', or even acknowledges me, whereas he is all friendly with everyone else. When counting the money in tills, he always asks someone else to do it, and makes me move to a different one, which only he does (none of the other team leaders do that). He doesn't do that with anyone else either.

He expects me to do overtime and he doesn't listen at all to me. For example, on one Saturday, I had a morning flight at 10am the next day, so I would've had to be awake at 5:30am in order to get ready and go to the airport. He tried to make me stay till 11pm (1 hour later than my contracted hours), even when I told him numerous times in the hours before that I couldn't stay any longer.

With breaks, I ask him around 2-3 hours in advance whether or not a certain time is fine. He says yea, but then gets another colleague to be on their break at that time, so I have to start my break later, sometimes even 45 minutes later. I just feel this is... This also happened when he allowed someone to go on a 45 minute break at 9:30pm when I was supposed to leave at 10pm. He basically forced me to stay until 10:15pm.

Sorry if I sound a bit unreasonable, but I find these acts really irritating, as if he has something against me.

Do they ask others to do overtime last minute? Would you be comfortable speaking to their manager?
Original post by claireestelle
Do they ask others to do overtime last minute? Would you be comfortable speaking to their manager?

Well, other team leaders always ask me like a couple of hours in advance if I could stay longer.

He never asks me to stay for overtime and just says when my shift is about to end "you'll have to stay for an extra 15 minutes" as 'that's the norm' (most people finish their shifts at quarter past due to unpaid breaks, but the manager of the store gave me those shifts). He sets other people's breaks so I have to stay for an extra 15 minutes, pretty much every week, even if there's 2 other people who could take me off the tills. Tempted to just leave when my contracted hours finish and ignore his attempts to get me to stay. He even tried to make me do 30 minutes overtime when I said I had a party to go to one night.

The others don't do overtime because on that shift, they finish at closing so it doesn't really apply to them.

I'm not sure if there is any point in telling the store manager as I'm moving stores in around 6 weeks due to university.
Reply 3
Hello.

I can undertstand this ! Retail managers can be bloody awkward . Instead of being honest with you at times they can be cold or passive aggressive , good example of that is that they may tell someone else to tell you to do something or get someone else to call you instead of themselves . I think sometimes if you are quiet and a bit casual they can be rude as they think you dont care .They may not want to be seen being friendly with you as well or heard things about you , You said you are leaving id just grin and bear it
Well, other team leaders always ask me like a couple of hours in advance if I could stay longer.

He never asks me to stay for overtime and just says when my shift is about to end "you'll have to stay for an extra 15 minutes" as 'that's the norm' (most people finish their shifts at quarter past due to unpaid breaks, but the manager of the store gave me those shifts). He sets other people's breaks so I have to stay for an extra 15 minutes, pretty much every week, even if there's 2 other people who could take me off the tills. Tempted to just leave when my contracted hours finish and ignore his attempts to get me to stay. He even tried to make me do 30 minutes overtime when I said I had a party to go to one night.

The others don't do overtime because on that shift, they finish at closing so it doesn't really apply to them.

I'm not sure if there is any point in telling the store manager as I'm moving stores in around 6 weeks due to university.

It sounds like their being pretty unreasonable, if you transfer in 6 weeks you could just wait it out and then put a complaint in

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending