The Student Room Group

First relationship awkwardness

This is going to be a long post...I met a guy from online around 5 weeks ago and have had 6 dates, before meeting we only talked for a night. This is the first person I have ever dated. Prior to this I had no relationship/romantic experience, which he knew by the first date. I am 21, he is 28.On paper he is pretty much perfect, we have a lot of common interests and view the world in a similar way. I can see he is attractive and I can barely fault his personality. However, I'm not sure if I am feeling any sort of spark/chemistry - but I don't know what this should feel like. There have definitely been times where I've felt something, I really enjoy his cuddles, but nothing overwhelming. We've kissed but it just feels like lips touching.On our latest date he was cuddling/touching/feeling/squeezing me quite a lot (nowhere inappropriate!) and it didn't feel natural to me, at times it was uncomfortable. However, I feel I am an intrinsically awkward person and I have low body confidence which means I am already uncomfortable in my own body.Basically I have so little experience I don't know if I feel awkward because of me or because I am not actually attracted to this guy. I enjoy spending time with him so don't know whether to see how things progress or just end it as I am worried I am stringing him along, though I have already told him I am unsure.Thank you for any insight in advance! I will happily clarify anything :smile:
Original post by Anonymous
This is going to be a long post...I met a guy from online around 5 weeks ago and have had 6 dates, before meeting we only talked for a night. This is the first person I have ever dated. Prior to this I had no relationship/romantic experience, which he knew by the first date. I am 21, he is 28.On paper he is pretty much perfect, we have a lot of common interests and view the world in a similar way. I can see he is attractive and I can barely fault his personality. However, I'm not sure if I am feeling any sort of spark/chemistry - but I don't know what this should feel like. There have definitely been times where I've felt something, I really enjoy his cuddles, but nothing overwhelming. We've kissed but it just feels like lips touching.On our latest date he was cuddling/touching/feeling/squeezing me quite a lot (nowhere inappropriate!) and it didn't feel natural to me, at times it was uncomfortable. However, I feel I am an intrinsically awkward person and I have low body confidence which means I am already uncomfortable in my own body.Basically I have so little experience I don't know if I feel awkward because of me or because I am not actually attracted to this guy. I enjoy spending time with him so don't know whether to see how things progress or just end it as I am worried I am stringing him along, though I have already told him I am unsure.Thank you for any insight in advance! I will happily clarify anything :smile:

This is cute
Reply 2
Original post by cbreef
This is cute

I think this is how he feels but being this awkward isn't fun for me!
Reply 3
Original post by Pinkberry_y
Awwww if I were you I would just sit him down and be honest with him that it's your first relationship and how you just feel a little awkward at the moment with him etc. Just be completely honest and open, that will be the best start to the relationship. I'm sure he'll be understanding he sounds lovely!

I already have done all this, I've been pretty blunt about it. So you would continue despite any obvious butterflies/sparks/chemistry around him?
Reply 4
Any other opinions? Surely if I don't know by now I never will? Has anyone been through anything similar?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending