The Student Room Group

Skin cancer scare

My boyfriend got the sides of his head shaved a couple of years ago and at the time we noticed a mixed colour black and brown, flat mole on his scalp. Despite encouraging him to get it checked out at the time he didn't bother and we've gone on as normal, until recently when he finally decided to get some advice.

The dermatologist was suspicious of the mole, and also of another similar one growing just under his crown (I hadn't seen it before as it's under thick hair). It has the ABCD markers (asymmetrical, rough border, mixed colour and diameter is above 5mm) suspicious for melanoma, however looking back at photos as early as June 2015 the one on the side of his head looks completely unchanged in terms of size and general colour. We're hoping this is a good sign and it'll just be an atypical mole.

Anyone had experience of this?
Original post by Anonymous
My boyfriend got the sides of his head shaved a couple of years ago and at the time we noticed a mixed colour black and brown, flat mole on his scalp. Despite encouraging him to get it checked out at the time he didn't bother and we've gone on as normal, until recently when he finally decided to get some advice.

The dermatologist was suspicious of the mole, and also of another similar one growing just under his crown (I hadn't seen it before as it's under thick hair). It has the ABCD markers (asymmetrical, rough border, mixed colour and diameter is above 5mm) suspicious for melanoma, however looking back at photos as early as June 2015 the one on the side of his head looks completely unchanged in terms of size and general colour. We're hoping this is a good sign and it'll just be an atypical mole.

Anyone had experience of this?

Good to check it out and get it professionally removed by a doctor to lessen the risk, but seen as it was there last year and hasn't changed then not too much to worry about. Never tamper with a mole yourself as it can cause malignant change.

The danger with melanoma is that it spreads into the body, first the lymph nodes then to the lungs resulting in coughing, sore throats, itching etc. it spreads to the bones and to the brain resulting in headaches, vomiting, seizures and fits, psychosis and persistent vegetative state etc.

Certainly keep watch on the mole and if any of the above symptoms happen then see a doctor ASAP.
Reply 2
Original post by Ambitious1999
Good to check it out and get it professionally removed by a doctor to lessen the risk, but seen as it was there last year and hasn't changed then not too much to worry about. Never tamper with a mole yourself as it can cause malignant change.

The danger with melanoma is that it spreads into the body, first the lymph nodes then to the lungs resulting in coughing, sore throats, itching etc. it spreads to the bones and to the brain resulting in headaches, vomiting, seizures and fits, psychosis and persistent vegetative state etc.

Certainly keep watch on the mole and if any of the above symptoms happen then see a doctor ASAP.

Hi, thank you :smile:

He went and got them removed last week, with a wide incision - just a waiting game for the results as I know it's difficult to be sure without pathology...

Fingers crossed!

Quick Reply

Latest