The Student Room Group

Retake A Levels or take a clearing offer?

I was predicted A*AA in Economics, Physics and Maths respectively and flopped somewhat, getting ACC, missing both my firm and insurance at Warwick (A*AA Economics) and Bristol (AAA Economics&Management).

I've tried clearing and the best offer is from City University for Economics. I'm really stuck on whether to retake and retry for some sort of similar level to my original options, maybe sticking around the AAA offer mark instead, e.g. Bristol, Sheffield or to take the City offer...

The other question is the difficulty over making this decision, the City offer is pretty good given my performance and I don't really want to lose it because I'm still unsure - especially as I don't have my scripts back and don't have the opinions of all my teachers yet - I will take it if I know that I can later withdraw and reapply for UCAS 2017 entry if I change my mind having gained more information, but I'm worried doing this could use an issue with UCAS?

Scroll to see replies

Resit, there's no point in going to a *****y university just for the sake of going
Reply 2
Original post by Mr Moon Man
Resit, there's no point in going to a *****y university just for the sake of going

But apparently more and more firms are asking for a levels from one sitting as I was in the same situation
Reply 3
Anyone in particular know if there would be issues pulling out and reapplying/retaking for 2017 after accepting?
Original post by 3tr3
Anyone in particular know if there would be issues pulling out and reapplying/retaking for 2017 after accepting?

No, it'll be fine.
Original post by alexp98
But apparently more and more firms are asking for a levels from one sitting as I was in the same situation

I'm in the same position and saw this too..anyone got any opinions on what to do?
Original post by ronaldo222
I'm in the same position and saw this too..anyone got any opinions on what to do?

Hey, one option is...

accepting the offer then making sure you get at least a 2:1 in the first year then you can get a transfer to a uni that you'd prefer and because of your exceptional achievement in your first year at City, plus your good A level results you'd have a better chance of getting in and just continuing the same course from Year 2.

Hope this helped :smile:
Original post by BeCakeByTheOcean
Hey, one option is...

accepting the offer then making sure you get at least a 2:1 in the first year then you can get a transfer to a uni that you'd prefer and because of your exceptional achievement in your first year at City, plus your good A level results you'd have a better chance of getting in and just continuing the same course from Year 2.

Hope this helped :smile:

My results aren't good so when applying for internships I won't get a chance :/
get deferred entry on the London city uni offer and take a gap year, resit a few modules and pull your grades up, aim to go to russel group unis! x
Original post by alexp98

Look at it this way - you're unlikely to get an offer from a top firm with ACC, and I know very little about City University but I don't think it's particularly highly regarded by top firms (not meaning to be rude). Surely you're better off re-sitting and getting AAA and getting a first/2:1 from a top uni and then you can at least get through the door for all sorts of graduate jobs/schemes?

Oh and it won't cause any problems with UCAS. There isn't a public permanent record.
Original post by november321
get deferred entry on the London city uni offer and take a gap year, resit a few modules and pull your grades up, aim to go to russel group unis! x

Applying again to other unis (Russell Group or not) would cancel the deferred place at City.
Original post by ageshallnot
Applying again to other unis (Russell Group or not) would cancel the deferred place at City.

but after you get your offers from other unis can't u withdraw your application from the uni that u had deferred entry with?
but after you get your offers from other unis can't u withdraw your application from the uni that u had deferred entry with?

You can't even make an application if you are holding a deferred offer. Ucas doesn't allow it.

As CLR says above^^^
Original post by Annie20951
Look at it this way - you're unlikely to get an offer from a top firm with ACC, and I know very little about City University but I don't think it's particularly highly regarded by top firms (not meaning to be rude). Surely you're better off re-sitting and getting AAA and getting a first/2:1 from a top uni and then you can at least get through the door for all sorts of graduate jobs/schemes?

Oh and it won't cause any problems with UCAS. There isn't a public permanent record.

This is defeating the whole point though... The whole reason anyone wants to retake is to get into the grad programmes because it's irrelevant getting into a good uni when you still can't apply for the jobs. what would be the point of me wasting a year to retake and get in a better uni only to find out after graduating at this 'better' uni, the firms only count the first grades anyway?

I'm generally so confused with this :/
Seems like best option would be just to go ahead with uni and it's an ok uni.
(edited 7 years ago)
Which grad programme actually specifies this?
I've only seen Deloitte do that I think.
I'm in the same position as you :/
Reply 16
Original post by alexp98
This is defeating the whole point though... The whole reason anyone wants to retake is to get into the grad programmes because it's irrelevant getting into a good uni when you still can't apply for the jobs. what would be the point of me wasting a year to retake and get in a better uni only to find out after graduating at this 'better' uni, the firms only count the first grades anyway?

I'm generally so confused with this :/
Seems like best option would be just to go ahead with uni and it's an ok uni.

This is where I've been left. I feel like I'm undershooting going to City but I don't really think employers will care if I get a first.

I have no idea, made worse by friends who did well going off to their respective Russell Group unis :frown:
Original post by 3tr3
This is where I've been left. I feel like I'm undershooting going to City but I don't really think employers will care if I get a first.

I have no idea, made worse by friends who did well going off to their respective Russell Group unis :frown:

so whats your end decision?
Reply 18
Original post by ronaldo222
so whats your end decision?

Well I took the City offer, fresher's week is next week. Haven't registered yet and even if I start I can change my mind, obviously it would cost me a lot to do that but I'm less worried about that and more worried about doing the best thing!

How about yourself?
Original post by 3tr3
Well I took the City offer, fresher's week is next week. Haven't registered yet and even if I start I can change my mind, obviously it would cost me a lot to do that but I'm less worried about that and more worried about doing the best thing!

How about yourself?

I too got ACC planning to do something finance related.
I got a clearing offer from Leicester but I'm worried I won't be able to get a job because a lot of grad schemes require 300+ ucas points. still deciding if I should retake or just go to Leicester

Latest

Trending

Trending