The Student Room Group

Man pulls off Muslim woman's hijab in London

Scroll to see replies

Reply 100
Original post by JavaScriptMaster
Women look better without hijabs IMO anyway...

The women that guard their modesty do not give a **** about your opinion.
Original post by desaf1
But that doesn't mean that Muslims in this country should be forced to not wear what they wish to wear. The women were wearing hijabs and have the right to do that- people should respect their right to wear that and shouldn't be trying to remove it.

I agree, people should respect their choices. My point is that this shouldn't be treated as some sort of horrid crime.
Original post by Bros R Us
bro stop getting hysterical, how is taking off a hijab to show her hair the same as undoing a bikini ? :rofl:

It is pretty much the same thing. For a Muslim woman, someone forcibly exposing her hair in public is incredibly shocking and embarrassing. Similarly, a woman at a beach would be very shocked and embarrassed if a stranger came up from behind and untied her bikini top. In both cases, women are having their modesty forcibly taken away from them and that's appalling.
Original post by IMS2K17
An idiot like you deserved an answer like this. BRAVO BigTraderBoi

So you think that pulling off a woman's headscarf is violent assault? I pity you
Original post by desaf1
It is pretty much the same thing. For a Muslim woman, someone forcibly exposing her hair in public is incredibly shocking and embarrassing. Similarly, a woman at a beach would be very shocked and embarrassed if a stranger came up from behind and untied her bikini top. In both cases, women are having their modesty forcibly taken away from them and that's appalling.

I don't understand this use of "modesty". If woman has a bikini forcibly ripped off her, how is she being immodest? Someone else can't "take away your modesty", that doesn't make any sense. The reason it's wrong to rip off a woman's bikini is because it's harassment, and a lot of the time it crosses over into sexual harassment.
Reply 105
Original post by Mr Moon Man
So you think that pulling off a woman's headscarf is violent assault? I pity you

Of course.
It is violent. Don't think he went up to her lovingly and kindly and pulled it off with affection.
No. I pity you.
Original post by IMS2K17
Of course.
It is violent. Don't think he went up to her lovingly and kindly and pulled it off with affection.
No. I pity you.

It wasn't violent assault though, it was very disrespectful, but that's about it.
Original post by desaf1

it ain't the same thing bro don't even try and equate hair and boobs as if they cause the same amount of embarrassment when they obvs don't
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 108
Shame on that man.
Original post by Dandaman1
I assumed it was because they found it amusing. But what difference does it make? I still had my pants pulled down in public regardless of why they did it.

One is done as a silly prank, the other is done out of hatred.

Anyhow, that (and this) is hardly an "attack" for Christ's sake. It's an act of mischief. People are losing their collective **** over something dumb and minor. Some jackass no-one's ever heard of pulled down the scarf/hood of some woman no-one's ever heard of. So what? Oh, wait, she's Muslim, so let's make a big song and dance about it and cry "HATE CRIME!" from the rooftops and be morally outraged because maybe he was a bigot.

Make it a national headline if he murders someone. But until then, this guy's rude mischief is unimportant and not worthy of the politicized fainting-couch outrage it's generating.

Well, the real question should be what the motive behind this was. If it was done specifically because of her religion, it would be an attack. It would have been an intentional act done out of hatred.
Original post by The Epicurean
One is done as a silly prank, the other is done out of hatred.

Well, the real question should be what the motive behind this was. If it was done specifically because of her religion, it would be an attack. It would have been an intentional act done out of hatred.

Policing things based on their motives is thought policing.
Original post by akbar0123
Bring back the death penalty for scum like these men

wtf?
Original post by akbar0123
Bring back the death penalty for scum like these men

Original post by gr8wizard10
they need to get swift death penalties

ISIS bells ringing :colonhash:
Original post by KingBradly
Policing things based on their motives is thought policing.

Thought policing is controlling peoples thoughts; saying what people can and can't think. Which is completely different. We are talking about the motives of an act that has occurred.

If someone gets run over by a car, it is important to find out first the motive. Were they intentionally run over or was it an accident? Finding out the motives, once an act has occurred, is incredibly important and plays a fundamental role in deciding the outcome. Hence why there is often a distinction made between murder and manslaughter. By your logic, murder and manslaughter should be treated the same and motives should be completely ignored.
Yes, it's harassment. Just as it would be to go up to a woman and steal her hat.

It's not just a 'hat' though, is it? If someone went up an orthodox Jew and yanked off their kippah or went up to a Sikh and yanked off their turban, it would, quite rightly, be viewed as a religious/racially motivated harassment or even assault.
Thought policing is controlling peoples thoughts; saying what people can and can't think. Which is completely different. We are talking about the motives of an act that has occurred.

If someone gets run over by a car, it is important to find out first the motive. Were they intentionally run over or was it an accident? Finding out the motives, once an act has occurred, is incredibly important and plays a fundamental role in deciding the outcome. Hence why there is often a distinction made between murder and manslaughter. By your logic, murder and manslaughter should be treated the same and motives should be completely ignored.

No, that is not the same logic. Murder and manslaughter are different because one of them has an intention to murder behind it, and the other does not have such an intention. The motives behind committing the crimes have nothing to do with it. Motives are important as far as they define whether a murder is a murder, or a theft is a theft. For example if a killing is in lawful self-defense, it can't be considered murder. If the motive behind the murder does not effect whether the murder is a murder or not, or a theft is a theft, or harassment is harassment, then it is no longer important, or at least it should not change the punishment. If you are prosecuting someone more extremely because you find the ideological motive behind the murder particularly offensive then that is thought policing.
No, that is not the same logic. Murder and manslaughter are different because one of them has an intention to murder behind it, and the other does not have such an intention. The motives behind committing the crimes have nothing to do with it. Motives are important as far as they define whether a murder is a murder, or a theft is a theft. For example if a killing is in lawful self-defense, it can't be considered murder. If the motive behind the murder does not effect whether the murder is a murder or not, or a theft is a theft, or harassment is harassment, then it is no longer important, or at least it should not change the punishment. If you are prosecuting someone more extremely because you find the ideological motive behind the murder particularly offensive then that is thought policing.

Exactly. If I walked up and intentionally punched you, it would be assault no matter the reason, be it because I was having a bad day, I didn't like your face, or whatever. But if I punched you because you were gay, suddenly that's a whole new crime that will be treated more seriously, despite the fact I intentionally did the exact same thing with the exact same result.

In my opinion, hate crimes shouldn't be a thing. Why? We already have offences that cover this stuff: assault, harassment, murder... The existence of this crime category is merely political. We want to punish people further for their beliefs and signal how much we don't tolerate said beliefs.
What were the motives behind this act? Was it silly teenagers messing around, or was it a religiously and racially motivated attack?

Let's say that someone did it because it was a religious and racially motivated attack.

Let's compare this to other racially motivated attacks.

How often did you hear of the KKK pantsing dudes? Would you say that if the worst thing the KKK did was pull some random PoC trousers down that they would be as reviled as they are now?

What the man did was bad. That's it. Just bad. It wasn't monstrous. It wasn't worthy of getting more press time than murders, stabbings, assaults or the like. It was embarassing and done as a dominance tactic.

The media concentrating on this is simple social manipulation. When you concentrate on little things like this, you blow it out of proportion and gather an inordinate amount of attention on that while far more important things are going on. Then, when you parenthetically report the things you cannot hide, you keep people thinking on things that really aren't that important in the grand scheme of things.
Original post by Enginerd.
Committing crimes is okay with you?

Original post by Trapz99
Please tell me you're joking. This is a disgusting crime.

I doubt the police would bother investigating if someone pinched my hat.
Top banter 👌
Police on a manhunt now for a joker. If it's supposedly so bad here for muslims and other assorted immigrants and such, why do they come or remain here?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending