The Student Room Group

Maths Study Help?

I'm currently having to do a year of re-sits for my Maths, (Year 12), before I can go onto doing my A-Levels. I got a D at GCSE, and I'm not even remotely good at maths either.

Any study tips? If I can just get a C, it would be brilliant.
Reply 1
Original post by WrenLazarus
I'm currently having to do a year of re-sits for my Maths, (Year 12), before I can go onto doing my A-Levels. I got a D at GCSE, and I'm not even remotely good at maths either.

Improving at maths is about practising problems yourself. At first go on to youtube for videos on a topic you're not strong on, see how to do some questions, and then try them for yourself. Try lots of questions until you're confident you know what you're doing.
I think you're being hard on yourself just flat out saying that you're not very good at maths, this is what most people say. Would you say that you've never had much of a real interest in maths?
Reply 2
Original post by B_9710
Improving at maths is about practising problems yourself. At first go on to youtube for videos on a topic you're not strong on, see how to do some questions, and then try them for yourself. Try lots of questions until you're confident you know what you're doing.
I think you're being hard on yourself just flat out saying that you're not very good at maths, this is what most people say. Would you say that you've never had much of a real interest in maths?

Indefinitely. I'm a linguistic person - or atleast, way more than a mathematical person.
Indefinitely. I'm a linguistic person - or atleast, way more than a mathematical person.

It doesn't matter. You clearly need that C. But you're going to get an A or higher :colondollar:, because you'll work hard for it. YOU WILL.
Reply 4
Original post by Chittesh14
It doesn't matter. You clearly need that C. But you're going to get an A or higher :colondollar:, because you'll work hard for it. YOU WILL.

Motivation, haha. Thanks :smile:.
Motivation, haha. Thanks :smile:.

Lol np, when is your exam?
Reply 6
Lol np, when is your exam?

It was supposed to be three days ago, but college decided not to tell us, or bother to do it - so now I have to wait until June.

But by then, as long as I revise, hopefully - I'll get it.
It was supposed to be three days ago, but college decided not to tell us, or bother to do it - so now I have to wait until June.

But by then, as long as I revise, hopefully - I'll get it.

Lol, I thought so that it'd be finished. Anyway, June is better - has to be an A* then lol or 8/9 if that's the grade system.
Reply 8
Lol, I thought so that it'd be finished. Anyway, June is better - has to be an A* then lol or 8/9 if that's the grade system.

Doubt it haha, as long as I get a high C - I'm happy with it.
Doubt it haha, as long as I get a high C - I'm happy with it.

Fair enough, but try to get higher :smile:. Good luck.
Fair enough, but try to get higher :smile:. Good luck.

I really recommend watching examsolutions videos (v useful at a level, so probably equally good at gcse) and then working through past paper questions on that topic. Helps you to fully understand the topics and then practice the skills!

Hello,

Abit late but I use a site called "CorbettMaths" which is full of videos on every subject. It also has practice questions on each subject after you've watched the video. Then you could try some GCSE practise papers on his site.
Original post by RugbyJake16
Hello,

Abit late but I use a site called "CorbettMaths" which is full of videos on every subject. It also has practice questions on each subject after you've watched the video. Then you could try some GCSE practise papers on his site.

Thankyou, so much. Haha :smile:.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending