The Student Room Group

Looking to transfer univeristies

Hi Im looking to transfer to a higher ranking university after first year but im not sure when to email the admissions of the universities for places. Is there a specific time i have to email them?
Reply 1
Original post by Rt6f
Hi Im looking to transfer to a higher ranking university after first year but im not sure when to email the admissions of the universities for places. Is there a specific time i have to email them?

The sooner the better, I'd say.
Reply 2
Original post by Rt6f

There's no specific time, but you have to be sure you want to change and have done as much of your own research as possible first.
Unless you meet the admissions requirement for the new course in full, including GCSEs, no 'higher' Unis will be interested in you. If you do qualify, you would have both excellent grades from your current Uni and to have a good case for a transfer - not just wanting a different Uni name on your degree certificate. And btw, some Unis will not permit any transfers-in - either because they don't as a matter of policy, or because there are no spaces on the course.

You need to contact the main Admissions Office for the new Uni (not the Dept or Faculty) and ask if a transfer is even possible (include details of all your qualifications, the course you are currently doing etc). If it is, you will need to formally apply through UCAS for 2nd year entry as soon as possible.
Hi,

First of all please note that it is not my fault I can only get 90 credits, the university only offers 90 credits for the first year. :frown:

I was wondering if I could get some help with this question, will a university accept 90 credits from the first year at previous university if you decide to transfer for the second year?
Original post by Getandconnect

I was wondering if I could get some help with this question, will a university accept 90 credits from the first year at previous university if you decide to transfer for the second year?

There is no automatic right of transfer and no University has to accept any 'credits' from another University. You need to approach the other Uni (see above message) - the decision is totally up to the other Uni.
Original post by returnmigrant
There is no automatic right of transfer and no University has to accept any 'credits' from another University. You need to approach the other Uni (see above message) - the decision is totally up to the other Uni.

Aaah I see, okay thank you very much for answering :smile:
Reply 7
Your first year credits usually don't contribute to your final grade anyway, so I don't think it's a problem that you only have 90 credits. I transferred into second year and no one even asked for an official 1st year transcript, I just showed my grades from the university portal.

Best thing to do is email all of the universities you're interested in as soon as possible, something like this:

I am writing to enquire whether I would be eligible to transfer into Year 2 of X course.
I am currently a first year BSc/BA _____ student at X university, with A Level grades: ______ and expected to achieve a 2.1 this year.
My current university only offer 90 credits for Year 1, please let me know if this would be an issue.
If I am eligible, could you let me know whether there is a deadline or cut off date for UCAS applications from potential transfer students?

I sent an email just like this to about 10 universities when I was transferring. Now, I did end up going to a higher ranked university, but nowhere near Russell Group standard or anything that high, so I can't say it will be this easy for you if you're aiming for those RG unis.
If you meet the A Level requirements then that's a good start. If you've missed them by just one grade then it's still worth emailing them, because a lot of universities will look at your most recent academic qualification, which would be your Year 1 mark, not your A Levels.

Another thing to note is that it's not worth applying until you've done some assignments so that you have some marks/grades to show. I applied in April with an almost full list of grades, and then sent a final copy of my grades in August. With higher ranked unis, you might have to apply a lot earlier, but I would say wait until at least January before sending off your application, because by then you'll have done some assignments.

There's a University Transfer FAQ thread here also, where you might be able to find some more useful posts.
Original post by Getandconnect
Hi,

First of all please note that it is not my fault I can only get 90 credits, the university only offers 90 credits for the first year. :frown:

With 90 credits you would not normally achieve the full 360 credits required for award of a degree after 3 years. If you're accepted then it's unlikely that you'd receive an honours degree even if you complete the rest of your degree.

You'll probably be better off applying for entry into first year to start again - you'll have more options and you would be able to get an honours degree when you complete.
Original post by PQ
With 90 credits you would not normally achieve the full 360 credits required for award of a degree after 3 years. If you're accepted then it's unlikely that you'd receive an honours degree even if you complete the rest of your degree.

You'll probably be better off applying for entry into first year to start again - you'll have more options and you would be able to get an honours degree when you complete.

That's what i would do if in the same situation. It will give you more options.
Actually if i got them to accpet me , but as a first year, then depending on the terms I wuld have considered leaving the current uni and getting a job to earn money.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending