The Student Room Group

I've Chosen The Wrong Subject - What Should I do?

Hello,

I'm enjoying university life but I'm finding my course rather boring and I'm struggling to motivate myself through the work. I'm really not sure on what to do and it's been getting me down.

I've only been at university for six weeks now but I know I won't be able to last the length of the course. It's a real shame as I'm really enjoying everything else and I feel as if I'm going to seriously regret dropping out but I don't see any other option.

If I stay I'll fail my degree as I'm no longer interested in the subject and the course isn't what I was expecting and its too late to change subjects.

Where do I go from here? If I drop out I feel as if I'll end up with a dead-end job and ruin my life but I can't see how I can stay and succeed when I have no interest or motivation to pursue this subject.
Original post by Cuscal
Hello,

I'm enjoying university life but I'm finding my course rather boring and I'm struggling to motivate myself through the work. I'm really not sure on what to do and it's been getting me down.

I've only been at university for six weeks now but I know I won't be able to last the length of the course. It's a real shame as I'm really enjoying everything else and I feel as if I'm going to seriously regret dropping out but I don't see any other option.

If I stay I'll fail my degree as I'm no longer interested in the subject and the course isn't what I was expecting and its too late to change subjects.

Where do I go from here? If I drop out I feel as if I'll end up with a dead-end job and ruin my life but I can't see how I can stay and succeed when I have no interest or motivation to pursue this subject.

Is it the whole degree subject that you hate or just a particular modules you are studying at the moment?
Reply 2
Original post by Simonthegreat
Is it the whole degree subject that you hate or just a particular modules you are studying at the moment?

I'm not particularly enjoying any of the modules, although some are certainly better than others. I can't see any way to get past this, I feel as if it's only going to get worse. If I wasn't enjoying the university and felt as if I had another option I'd drop out without a second thought but I don't have any other option as far as I'm aware that doesn't leave me with a dead-end job and completely ruin my life. I've just lost all motivation for the subject, I'm not finding it enjoyable at all.

Maybe the way it's taught is partly to blame. I feel as if the course isn't structured that great but I'm probably just making excuses for myself. I seriously don't know how to get past this.
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending