The Student Room Group

Housemate troubles

It started as her asking me to give up the room I'd chosen when we went to see the house for our second year accommodation. At fist she asked if she could have the room depending on how bad I wanted it, I said I'd prefer to stay in that one because I'd chosen it when we went to see it. I thought that would be the end of it.

Then it all kicked off and she blew up saying she needed that exact room because her brother is disabled and it's downstairs for wheelchair access, and when he runs away, social services make her take him in for a week or two at a time, she was very rude and hostile and she kept feeding me things trying to make me feel guilty for standing up to her. I reminded her that there are two rooms downstairs but she didn't care.

It's not the fact that she wants to have visitors but I found it incredibly manipulative and she couldn't understand that having a disabled teenager in the shared student house would affect us all. It's not special needs equipped and it's not the right place for him to be if he's in such a bad condition. Today she's decided she doesn't want to live with us and honestly I think after what I've seen of her now, I'm very glad. I'm just concerned that the other people (who I get along with very well!) will see me as an ******* because she used her disabled brother almost as leverage to try and make me do what she wanted.

Was I right to stand my ground?
(edited 7 years ago)
It's hard to tell if this is a major issue in her life or whether she's just using it as an excuse. Either way if there's another bedroom downstairs surely that solves the problem? I also agree with you that it's not ideal to have her brother staying for a couple weeks at a time especially if your house isn't equipped for his needs and he presumably has mental health issues which cause him to be volatile (assumed from the fact he keeps running away).
Two rooms down stairs. She was being a manipulative cow and got mad when you didn't barge. Good job confronting her.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending