The Student Room Group

Fitness Thread (MILITARY WANNABES ONLY)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
I do hope that people realise that when running on a treadmill you have to set the incline to either +1 or +2 to give the eqivalent resistance road running gives. Running with it set to 0 will not help you when you get plonked on a hill side for a light amble.
Reply 41
Jude - if you don't want to run outside, stick a gradient of 1% or so (or more!) on the treadmill to increase the difficulty, or running outside might come as a shock later on!
Reply 42
Blasted beat me to it.:rolleyes:
Reply 43
you are still right though
Reply 44
Yes, don't worry I am aware of this!:-) If i pass OASC i shall get myself out onto all different kinds of terrain.
Reply 45
Isis07
QM I have no idea about the accuracy or otherwise of treadmills, but I'll believe for the sake of arguement. I believe in under 10 min times I just think it's odd so many ppl have posted such quick times; that might be because only the people who are happy with their times have posted them - but thats not really the point of the thread.

What I will say is running outside is totally different to treadmill running so you need to get outside and run (timing yourself if you like). They won't let you do your mile and a half at Cranwell on a treadmill.

Personally I'm mixing up my training in the vain hope that if I make it hard for myself now the mile and a half at Cranwell should feel easier.

Yea I've heard running on a tredmill is easier, although it really hurts my shins. I never ever run on tredmills apart from when I was training to get my running time down - I run around the York racecourse a few times a week, which I think is 2 miles, and I find it alot harder than a tredmill.

EDIT: 10 points to anyone that can mention the word "tredmill" more times than that in such a short paragraph.
I have never been a natural runner, but since starting training I get the best buzz out of running, the same kind of buzz you get from playing sport. (Although this only happens after I have finished and not during a run) I am trying to get my times down too and it is surprising how much it can go down if you are persistant.

A friend gave me a book, 'The beginning runner's handbook' by Ian Macneill and the sports medicine council. Although most of you here probably feel you don't need a book to help you, it is useful, has different training tips and advice on diets to enhance performance etc. It is a good read! :biggrin:
Reply 47
Quiet_Mason
IFor the accuracy of my time, I cleverly used a stopwatch function on a treadmill, along with the distance metre which was pre-set to mph, instead of kph. I assume this is accurate. :smile:

QM :smile:

Eh??
Have you got some sort of special device!?
Reply 48
Quiet_Mason
Yea I've heard running on a tredmill is easier, although it really hurts my shins. I never ever run on tredmills apart from when I was training to get my running time down - I run around the York racecourse a few times a week, which I think is 2 miles, and I find it alot harder than a tredmill.

EDIT: 10 points to anyone that can mention the word "tredmill" more times than that in such a short paragraph.

I've heard that - tbh I can't run on a treadmill but im fine outside.

If your shins are hurting could it be your trainers? might be time for a new pair?
Reply 49
jude1388
Eh??
Have you got some sort of special device!?

No its quite common.

Isis07
I've heard that - tbh I can't run on a treadmill but im fine outside.

If your shins are hurting could it be your trainers? might be time for a new pair?

Yea they don't hurt when I'm on the racecourse, but I assume thats because its thick soft grass. I know its my trainers, when I went on a visit to Leeming the PTI told me to get some decent trainers or I'll end up with some serious leg issues. I'm getting them some time this week. :smile:
Reply 50
Or it could be shin splints
Reply 51
I was confused because you said you never ever go on treadmills...
Reply 52
Quiet_Mason

God Jude you don't even look at your PM's....:smile: .....chuh
Reply 53
Quiet_Mason
God Jude you don't even look at your PM's....:smile: .....chuh

Sorry i am having a thick day, work is sending me to sleep!!
Reply 54
1.5 Mile Time:13.07 mins
Bleep Test Level:10.6 (last taken last yr)
Sit Ups 1 Min:42
Press Ups 1 Min:30
Sit Ups 2 Min:not done
Press Ups 2 Min:not done

true im onli 15 but i love sports and wanna try to get in RAF at age of 16+ for CIS
Reply 55
it probbably is shin splints i've been doing a sport called parkour also known as freerunning for 2 yrs now i went to the dr last yr with pains in my shins nd found out i had shin splints so nxt day i went to ask PE teacher if ther was any stretches i could do to help nd he showed me a few if you've still got pains search for them online
Reply 56
Well I ran the furthest I have ever knowingly run in my life in one go today- 3.77miles (outdoors) and my gosh it was far!!! It took me 45mins which I guess is ok for a first time but I felt I wasn't pushing myself hard enough as I didn't take long to recover (need a running buddy!!). I had to walk for a 5x 1 min during my run. I managed the first 1.85miles without stopping in under 20mins. Then it was just tedious (not even painful!?) from then onwards. I guess I need t motivate myself more. I also think on reflection that I tired myself out as I was running in shorter strides rather than stretching out. I'm going to use this thread as a bit of a fitness diary as well.

My 1.5 mile time is currently at 9.35, but then being an old sprinter I really don't struggle with shorter distances!!

This week I have been to the gym everyday - Done 20mins cardio at 170bpm HR minimum. Also done weights for 1hour then sprint swan 500m in sets of 4 (25m pool). Plan on upping the amount of cardio and swimming each week. I'm also going to continue running 4miles every saturday (maybe other days too!) until I have it down to a decent time (such as 30mins) then up th mileage. Sunday is my day of rest! YAY!

Is this a good plan?
Reply 57
"Furthest" I have run without stopping is :

7 miles in 60 mins (treadmill)

or

5 ish miles in 45 ish mins (road + track)
Reply 58
My regular "long Sunday run" is about an hour, in which I'll cover about 6 miles, and which I do at that very slow pace without any stopping or walking at all.

OTOH, my time for 1.5miles is probably about 14minutes at the moment - I'm working on my speed, but I'm definitely a "stamina", rather than a "speed" person!

A running buddy is a huge boost, and on my long runs I "treat myself" to an hour of radio one - which is a huge treat after a constant diet of The Today Programme for the past ten months! (An Ipod will be my reward to myself if I get in ... :s-smilie: :biggrin: )

Inaspin - that sounds like a very good plan, wish I had time for it! If I get through OASC and start working towards the fitness for Phase B, I'm aiming for four runs a week (two speed, one brisk 1.5miler, and a long and slow), plus cycling or swimming a couple of times, if I can fit it in ... the darkness will make it so much harder, though!
Reply 59
Yeh agreed about the darkness, I get scared running on roads let alone in the dark. I did wonder whether I should have taken my ipod?! Hmm stamina isn't my best friend running wise, cycling however I can go all day!!

Quick Reply

Latest