The Student Room Group

Unemployed Maths Graduate, HELP!!!!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by gshock
Hi,

I recently graduate in summer 2016 in mathematics from a Russel group uni (just stating in case you wonder what sort of uni). I have zero work experience except that of retail which I have tons of. My cv and covering letter have been checked by those working at large financial banks and have said it's great. But have told me the lack of experience is what is stopping me and I am 100% aware that this is the problem.

I have found only a few internships for graduates. Most are for undergraduates so thus making me not eligible. As for graduate schemes Most have closed and of the few left I have applied.

Long story short, I feel my maths degree is useless due to the fact that whenever i apply for jobs they say "maths graduate wanted - but must have programming skills and lists a bunch of them", if I learn them programmes would my chance and if employement increase? Or will they say you still got no work experience?

Agencies have been useless to say the least, most just promise roles but give them to others with experience which I can understand.

Any thoughts ?

Also a maths grad here. 100% OVERRATED degree.

I was ''lucky'' in the sense my internship lead to an offer. Most of my classmates are still unemployed 2 years after. Also Russell Group.

Computer Sci / Engineering trumps maths easily. You can apply to a similar pool of grad schemes plus niche fields that need programming, CAD, engineering software etc. Maths is overrated and abstract as *** making it useless just like how the professors are out of touch with reality.
Hey David, please hang in there. I know it's awful being unemployed - that's also me right now - but self-harm is not the answer.

I hope this doesn't sound condescending, I'm just worried is all :smile:

Hopefully we can get some maths grads in here to give you better advice as you're clearly trying very hard.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending