Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

I finished my A-levels last year and ended up with A*AAA. I missed my offers and decided to reapply, saying I would resit two subjects and was therefore predicted A*A*A*A.

Anyway, now the uni I intend on firming has told me that I don't actually need to resit anything, since I already met their A*AA requirement. I've definitely decided against one resit, and my teachers/friends/etc. are all telling me not to bother with the other one.

My main reasons to resit basically are:
    1) I got an A* in Further Maths but not Maths, which is just weird
    2) I was one mark off the A* last year
    3) It would be good for me to relearn some maths before uni as I remember nothing currently
    4) A*A*AA sounds better than A*AAA to me

But then I wonder if I'm just doing this for my pride, basically? If it's just a waste of time? How embarrassing would it be if I didn't even get the A*?

So yeah, I don't know if I should. Any opinions are welcome
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I finished my A-levels last year and ended up with A*AAA. I missed my offers and decided to reapply, saying I would resit two subjects and was therefore predicted A*A*A*A.

Anyway, now the uni I intend on firming has told me that I don't actually need to resit anything, since I already met their A*AA requirement. I've definitely decided against one resit, and my teachers/friends/etc. are all telling me not to bother with the other one.

3) It would be good for me to relearn some maths before uni as I remember nothing currently

But then I wonder if I'm just doing this for my pride, basically? If it's just a waste of time? How embarrassing would it be if I didn't even get the A*?

Are you going to study something Maths related at uni?

To be honest, as you were so close, you are clearly capable and I think you could get the A* this year based on that. During first year of uni when you don't really have a uni grade, A-level grades will be asked of you for stuff like scholarship interviews, summer internships etc so whilst that extra A* may not make a huge difference compared to an A, it certainly wouldn't hurt!

It would also give you something to do, keep you busy and not forget how to study :lol:

And I would suggest maybe spending a bit of time looking at uni stuff if you feel like it, that mightn't hurt as well.

Plus, it is a tad weird that you did better in FM than Maths when Maths is easier, but perfectly possible (with the tight criteria of getting an A* in Maths.. relying on two units in particular..) if you had a bad paper and dropped a few marks that would have cost you.. but in some ways it would be an easy challenge.

ReputationRep:

It's a balance between 'having a resit' in your record and getting that A* in Maths.
    If you are going to do a Maths degree then there may be a point but only C3 and C4 are worth re-taking as the others won't help.

(Original post by SeanFM)
    Are you going to study something Maths related at uni?

To be honest, as you were so close, you are clearly capable and I think you could get the A* this year based on that. During first year of uni when you don't really have a uni grade, A-level grades will be asked of you for stuff like scholarship interviews, summer internships etc so whilst that extra A* may not make a huge difference compared to an A, it certainly wouldn't hurt!

It would also give you something to do, keep you busy and not forget how to study :lol:

And I would suggest maybe spending a bit of time looking at uni stuff if you feel like it, that mightn't hurt as well.

Plus, it is a tad weird that you did better in FM than Maths when Maths is easier, but perfectly possible (with the tight criteria of getting an A* in Maths.. relying on two units in particular..) if you had a bad paper and dropped a few marks that would have cost you.. but in some ways it would be an easy challenge.
    I'm going to study Economics which is pretty maths orientated everything you said makes sense and it would be so frustrating if I didn't resit and it held me back somewhere in the future! Thank you so much

(Original post by Muttley79)
    It's a balance between 'having a resit' in your record and getting that A* in Maths.
    If you are going to do a Maths degree then there may be a point but only C3 and C4 are worth re-taking as the others won't help.
    How much would having a resit affect me? Sorry, I'm a bit clueless on these things beyond uni applications. Would it matter on job applications etc?

As mentioned above, I'm going to do Economics. It'd just be C4 that I would resist as I got 98 in C3 last year

ReputationRep:
    How much would having a resit affect me? Sorry, I'm a bit clueless on these things beyond uni applications. Would it matter on job applications etc?

As mentioned above, I'm going to do Economics. It'd just be C4 that I would resist as I got 98 in C3 last year
    I think it's a difficult decision - personally I wouldn't resit. I can't see your current A level grades being an issue.

Your degree classification will be more important.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources
    Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.