The Student Room Group

Should I resit?

I finished my A-levels last year and ended up with A*AAA. I missed my offers and decided to reapply, saying I would resit two subjects and was therefore predicted A*A*A*A.

Anyway, now the uni I intend on firming has told me that I don't actually need to resit anything, since I already met their A*AA requirement. I've definitely decided against one resit, and my teachers/friends/etc. are all telling me not to bother with the other one.

My main reasons to resit basically are:
1) I got an A* in Further Maths but not Maths, which is just weird
2) I was one mark off the A* last year
3) It would be good for me to relearn some maths before uni as I remember nothing currently
4) A*A*AA sounds better than A*AAA to me

But then I wonder if I'm just doing this for my pride, basically? If it's just a waste of time? How embarrassing would it be if I didn't even get the A*?

So yeah, I don't know if I should. Any opinions are welcome :smile:
Original post by Anonymous
I finished my A-levels last year and ended up with A*AAA. I missed my offers and decided to reapply, saying I would resit two subjects and was therefore predicted A*A*A*A.

Anyway, now the uni I intend on firming has told me that I don't actually need to resit anything, since I already met their A*AA requirement. I've definitely decided against one resit, and my teachers/friends/etc. are all telling me not to bother with the other one.

3) It would be good for me to relearn some maths before uni as I remember nothing currently

But then I wonder if I'm just doing this for my pride, basically? If it's just a waste of time? How embarrassing would it be if I didn't even get the A*?

Are you going to study something Maths related at uni?

To be honest, as you were so close, you are clearly capable and I think you could get the A* this year based on that. During first year of uni when you don't really have a uni grade, A-level grades will be asked of you for stuff like scholarship interviews, summer internships etc so whilst that extra A* may not make a huge difference compared to an A, it certainly wouldn't hurt!

It would also give you something to do, keep you busy and not forget how to study :lol:

And I would suggest maybe spending a bit of time looking at uni stuff if you feel like it, that mightn't hurt as well.

Plus, it is a tad weird that you did better in FM than Maths when Maths is easier, but perfectly possible (with the tight criteria of getting an A* in Maths.. relying on two units in particular..) if you had a bad paper and dropped a few marks that would have cost you.. but in some ways it would be an easy challenge.
(edited 7 years ago)

It's a balance between 'having a resit' in your record and getting that A* in Maths.
If you are going to do a Maths degree then there may be a point but only C3 and C4 are worth re-taking as the others won't help.
Reply 3
Original post by SeanFM
Are you going to study something Maths related at uni?

To be honest, as you were so close, you are clearly capable and I think you could get the A* this year based on that. During first year of uni when you don't really have a uni grade, A-level grades will be asked of you for stuff like scholarship interviews, summer internships etc so whilst that extra A* may not make a huge difference compared to an A, it certainly wouldn't hurt!

It would also give you something to do, keep you busy and not forget how to study :lol:

And I would suggest maybe spending a bit of time looking at uni stuff if you feel like it, that mightn't hurt as well.

Plus, it is a tad weird that you did better in FM than Maths when Maths is easier, but perfectly possible (with the tight criteria of getting an A* in Maths.. relying on two units in particular..) if you had a bad paper and dropped a few marks that would have cost you.. but in some ways it would be an easy challenge.

I'm going to study Economics which is pretty maths orientated :smile: everything you said makes sense and it would be so frustrating if I didn't resit and it held me back somewhere in the future! Thank you so much :h:

Original post by Muttley79
It's a balance between 'having a resit' in your record and getting that A* in Maths.
If you are going to do a Maths degree then there may be a point but only C3 and C4 are worth re-taking as the others won't help.

How much would having a resit affect me? Sorry, I'm a bit clueless on these things beyond uni applications. Would it matter on job applications etc?

As mentioned above, I'm going to do Economics. It'd just be C4 that I would resist as I got 98 in C3 last year
How much would having a resit affect me? Sorry, I'm a bit clueless on these things beyond uni applications. Would it matter on job applications etc?

As mentioned above, I'm going to do Economics. It'd just be C4 that I would resist as I got 98 in C3 last year

I think it's a difficult decision - personally I wouldn't resit. I can't see your current A level grades being an issue.

Your degree classification will be more important.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending