The Student Room Group

Explain why someone should go to work and earn what they could get on benefits?

Scroll to see replies

Because benefits should be for those who are actually in need and not those who can't be bothered to do any job for a pay. Maybe if we had less people abusing the system, those who are in need could maybe even get a bit more money than they currently get.

It's just annoying when people brag about how cool they are and that changing bed sheets in a hotel for a minimum wage is way below their league, yet they are the ones who actually are below anything because they refuse to work and instead choose to put a bad name onto those genuine human beings.
Original post by moggis
Because I've never really understood why so many workers get angry when they hear about people who arent looking for work and claiming benefits.

I don't know what your living situation is, but even if you live alone I'm sure you can imagine a hypothetical scenario of you sharing living arrangements with another person. Now let us say you wash the dishes. The other person comes along, uses some of them after you've done the work to wash them. They then put them back and leave them with the expectation of you washing them again after them.

The dishes need washing and you continue to do that work otherwise, you don't have clean dishes yourself, but that other person has no inclination to contribute in any meaningful way because they know you are there picking up their slack.

Is that an acceptable arrangement to you or are the other person's actions selfish, lazy, and antisocial?

Because that is what a person who chooses to live on benefit is doing to productive people who pay tax into our social system. Benefits are meant to be there for when they are needed, not for people who choose to take them because it's preferable to working. When a person needs benefits we as a society are enriched morally by having the compassion to support them. When a person takes benefits through choice they are a drain with no net benefit to society. I wouldn't want to be a person who made the world a worse place by existing.

Original post by moggis
And so long as there are a great many people such as SR90 who clearly suffer if they don't have meaningful employment then surely it's incumbent on people like me to not compete?

Yeah, unless you have a mental illness I don't believe you sincerely believe that rationale. You're either simply trolling the conversation or deriding a perverse pleasure at mocking the people who provide the support infrastructure you are dependent on.
Reply 62
Original post by BigYoSpeck
I don't know what your living situation is, but even if you live alone I'm sure you can imagine a hypothetical scenario of you sharing living arrangements with another person. Now let us say you wash the dishes. The other person comes along, uses some of them after you've done the work to wash them. They then put them back and leave them with the expectation of you washing them again after them.

The dishes need washing and you continue to do that work otherwise, you don't have clean dishes yourself, but that other person has no inclination to contribute in any meaningful way because they know you are there picking up their slack.

Is that an acceptable arrangement to you or are the other person's actions selfish, lazy, and antisocial?

Because that is what a person who chooses to live on benefit is doing to productive people who pay tax into our social system. Benefits are meant to be there for when they are needed, not for people who choose to take them because it's preferable to working. When a person needs benefits we as a society are enriched morally by having the compassion to support them. When a person takes benefits through choice they are a drain with no net benefit to society. I wouldn't want to be a person who made the world a worse place by existing.

Yeah, unless you have a mental illness I don't believe you sincerely believe that rationale. You're either simply trolling the conversation or deriding a perverse pleasure at mocking the people who provide the support infrastructure you are dependent on.

To answer your last point I can assure you I'm definitely not trolling.

Just so we are clear;

I'm the kind of person who thinks deeply about just about everything they do and how to do their bit to make the world a (slightly ) better place.

I genuinely see no problem at all with people choos9ng not to work in a rich country.

But it's actually a very complex issue.
Original post by moggis
I genuinely see no problem at all with people choos9ng not to work in a rich country.

You should be thankful more people don't have your mindset otherwise people like you would not be able to survive.

Original post by ForgetMe
Because benefits should be for those who are actually in need and not those who can't be bothered to do any job for a pay. Maybe if we had less people abusing the system, those who are in need could maybe even get a bit more money than they currently get.

It's just annoying when people brag about how cool they are and that changing bed sheets in a hotel for a minimum wage is way below their league, yet they are the ones who actually are below anything because they refuse to work and instead choose to put a bad name onto those genuine human beings.

Agreed. I have a thousand times more respect for a toilet cleaner then I do a benefits scrounger.
Reply 64
Original post by AishaGirl
You should be thankful more people don't have your mindset otherwise people like you would not be able to survive.

Agreed. I have a thousand times more respect for a toilet cleaner then I do a benefits scrounger.

How much respect would you give to a toilet cleaner who used to be a benefits scrounger?
Original post by moggis

Clearly. But I and I'm sure other people who work resent you for it.

Don't get me wrong, you personally are but a drop in the ocean of everything wrong with our society. I resent bankers, politicians, and outright bad people far, far more than yourself and other people abusing the benefits system.

I resent the fact that benefit claimants are vilified when not all are making illegitimate use of the system through personal choice, and even those that are make up such a small part of our countries economic problems they aren't worth losing sleep over.

But on a public forum of discussion I will be quite frank about the contempt that I feel towards such people.
(edited 7 years ago)

Does that go for who are in ESA or pensioners?
Original post by cherryred90s
isnt there always somewhere to house them though?
I've never heard of a family living on the streets. It's usually a single person or a couple with no children

Have you ever heard of the housing crisis?
Original post by moggis
How much respect would you give to a toilet cleaner who used to be a benefits scrounger?

The respect they deserve. They got off their bottoms and work, they contribute to the society they live in.

There is absolutely nothing shameful about cleaning toilets or picking up litter for a job, there is everything shameful about choosing not to work because you're too lazy and you have no problem spending other peoples money.

Original post by Willy Pete

What housing crisis? :giggle:

Original post by 999tigger
Does that go for who are in ESA or pensioners?

What is ESA? Is that disability benefit? Then no of course not... if they are too old to work or are disabled then they should of course receive help from the government.
(edited 7 years ago)
Its hotting up in here

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by cherryred90s
isnt there always somewhere to house them though?
I've never heard of a family living on the streets. It's usually a single person or a couple with no children

If there is no council property available they are still under a legal duty to house them so they will get a bed and breakfast/ hostel, which can be dire. The owners make a killing.
The ironic thing is though that if every single person gave up work one day the benefits system would just collapse completely.
Original post by Got Milk
Tell me please, Im seeing no value in employment anymore on a grad salary that isnt that less than a non grad salary. To earn 30k these days you gotta be a rocket scientist, the jobs I see on indeed want you to have experience in this and that and have a degree and then want to pay you 20k??

Posted from TSR Mobile

tbh with benefits, the most you can get is like 6k a year if your living with parents. even with housing stuff, it still isnt a great net income
What housing crisis?

This one.
Reply 74
The respect they deserve. They got off their bottoms and work, they contribute to the society they live in.

There is absolutely nothing shameful about cleaning toilets or picking up litter for a job, there is everything shameful about choosing not to work because you're too lazy and you have no problem spending other peoples money.

What housing crisis? :giggle:

What is ESA? Is that disability benefit? Then no of course not... if they are too old to work or are disabled then they should of course receive help from the government.

Dear me. I didn't mean that toilet cleaners don't deserve respect.

Jeez,I can list at least 100 jobs that I have less respect for than toilet cleaner apart from anything else. Obviously lawyer would be top.

No ,the point I was making was that today's benefits scrounger is tomorrow's toilet cleaner.

And so when you said you have 1000 x more respect for toilet cleaners I wondered if you realised that some of them are ex benefits scroungers

Or even crims!
Personal pride and prospects of doing better for themselves.
Original post by moggis

None for allowing herself to be fooled into thinking she would be better of working.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by RogerOxon
Personal pride and prospects of doing better for themselves.

Pointless.. we all die in the end and your pride will mean nothing.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by moggis
Dear me. I didn't mean that toilet cleaners don't deserve respect.

Jeez,I can list at least 100 jobs that I have less respect for than toilet cleaner apart from anything else. Obviously lawyer would be top.

No ,the point I was making was that today's benefits scrounger is tomorrow's toilet cleaner.

And so when you said you have 1000 x more respect for toilet cleaners I wondered if you realised that some of them are ex benefits scroungers

Or even crims!

That's not the point. People can change, people can better themselves. Imagine someone sits on their bottoms and claims benefits for years and then decides to better themselves by getting a job and contributing to society. They get a minimum wage job cleaning toilets, this person has bettered themselves and deserves respect for their progress from street rat to respectable working citizen.
Original post by Willy Pete

Have you ever heard of emergency accommodation?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending