The Student Room Group

Anthropology BA- how can I prepare myself? (Looking to do voluntary aid work)

Hi,
I want to do an Anthropology (BA) course at uni. I'm looking at a few (Cambridge, Brunel, Durham, Exeter), and was wondering what I should do to best prepare myself.
I was looking to do a summer placement/course, but am not sure where to look. I'm a low-income independent liver, so many of the things I've looked at (eg Oxford's summer programme) are just far too expensive. I was wondering if any programmes maybe offer a few weeks away to do aid work? I don't even know where to start looking...
Thank you!
Original post by Mo_Barker
Hi,
I want to do an Anthropology (BA) course at uni. I'm looking at a few (Cambridge, Brunel, Durham, Exeter), and was wondering what I should do to best prepare myself.
I was looking to do a summer placement/course, but am not sure where to look. I'm a low-income independent liver, so many of the things I've looked at (eg Oxford's summer programme) are just far too expensive. I was wondering if any programmes maybe offer a few weeks away to do aid work? I don't even know where to start looking...
Thank you!

Don't bother with summer programmes, they won't increase your chances of getting into university. I wouldn't bother with volunteering either, not unless you want to do it for its own sake. Admission tutors don't care about stuff like that - all they care about are your grades and your academic interests, and what you've done to extend those interests (e.g. reading, museums, lectures etc). The best thing you can do to prepare is to start reading around your subject.
Original post by Mo_Barker
Hi,
Thank you!

Wasn't aware that Cambridge had a single honours Anthropology course... thought they only had HSPS?

I agree with Snufkin, reading around your subject would definitely be the best preparation!

Book Recommendations:

Witchcraft, Oracles and Magic among the Azande- E.E. Evans-Pritchard

Argonauts of the Western Pacific- Bronislaw Malinowski

Books by Jared Diamond (The Third Chimpanzee, Collapse, Guns, Germs, and Steel, The World Until Yesterday)

Tristes Tropiques- Claude Levi-Strauss

The Origins of Species- Charles Darwin

Orientalism- Edward Said

Good luck :smile:
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending