The Student Room Group

From whom did you get your UCAS reference?

Just wondering as I'm not at any educational establishment at the moment, and my workplace are unable to really contribute anything relevant about my academic ability. I'm thinking of ringing up my school 6th form and speaking to the head of 6th form. He's a nice guy but I think will be gutted when I inform him that I left Uni the 1st time round.

Thanks in advance
I think you should go back to your sixth form tutor. I don't think they'll be disappointed in you, I think they'll be proud that you're giving it another shot. Good luck!!
Reply 2
The more up to date the reference is the better,
Reply 3
An educational reference doesnt really matter if you are a mature student, I got a general reference from my doctor and was accepted at uni.
Reply 4
I would just like to ask if anyone has a similar position whereby they have withdrawn from a course at university and then re-applied to do a similar subject but at a different university. The problem is I was being unrealistic in terms of applying to my original choice at university - although the course was demanding and we were given no options, I enjoyed the challenge, but fell ill towards the end. I have my regrets and would like to give it another go and I've seen a similar course at another university, which I would like to apply to but not sure how to go about it, I have attempted some self-studying at home, so I am having troubles with the reference - my last reference would be the university that I had withdrawn from - is it a good idea or not to contact them?

Thanks

(Apologies for hi-jacking the thread - but it was a similar question!)
Reply 5
I'm a bit stuck with who to ask for a reference - I dropped out of uni at Christmas and am wanting to apply for a totally different subject so am I better asking someonee from the uni I left because it was where I studied most recently or go back to sixth form? I don't think they'd be that helpful mind you. Hmm...
Reply 6
I got a reference from my former employer. He didn't write about my academic capabilities however he did write about my commitment to work etc. It must have done the trick as I got an unconditional offer with no interview.
Reply 7
Im a med sec for a consultant psychiatrist and she's written mine. She's been really supportive so i've been very lucky :smile:

If you are a mature student in employment your referee dosen't have to be able to comment on academic ability. They just have to know you well enough to comment on your character / work attitude / how you get on with others etc (pretty similar to job type references really).
Reply 8
I got a reference from my music teacher at school - even though I applied to do English, I knew he'd be the most likely to remember me from 4 years previously! I'd recommend going back to your school/ 6th form college if it wasn't too long ago. I'm sure he won't be gutted - many of us aren't really in the right frame of mind for university when we're 18 or so, and most people understand this and are supportive. I even got help from my school - the secretary compiled my UCAS form and sent it off with all the other students, so I'm glad I swallowed my pride and went back there!

Latest

Trending

Trending