The Student Room Group

Nightmare to fix puncture

Hey!

Ever since I got a road bike, it's just been a nightmare to fix punctures. Since owning it, I have never (touchwood!! haha) got a puncture on the front. It's always on the back wheel so it's a bit longer dealing with all the chains and things.

But... because the tyres are so small, it's just a pain to put them back onto the wheel. It's almost as if the tyre is too small for the wheel. Putting it back on, I basically have to stretch it with all my strength.

Is the tyre meant to be like this on road bikes? It took me 40 minutes to sort out. This was at home, but I'd almost feel a bit embarrassed doing this in public!
Get gators tyres

And check out GCN on how to change a tyre

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Angry cucumber
Get gators tyres

And check out GCN on how to change a tyre

Posted from TSR Mobile

I second this ^^ gatorskins are amazing. I was always fine fixing punctures on my mtn bike but the tires on the road bikes are stiffer and much harder to get on and off. However I have never had a puncture since getting conti gatorskins. They're expensive but SO hard to get through, you can ride over broken glass, anything. On a cycling trip my partner noticed half way through our second to last day that one of his had a terrible tear, about an inch square of the top rubbery surface had ripped + was flapping, we were pretty worried as we had 50k left that day and no way to get to a bike shop before we had to ride 100k the next day to make our train home. However the tire was fine and he actually didn't bother to change it for a few hundred miles.

The only downside is that the gatorskins are even stiffer and harder to change than normal tires... but I think the pay off is worth it as you'll very rarely have to bother.
Original post by 2scotty
Hey!

Ever since I got a road bike, it's just been a nightmare to fix punctures. Since owning it, I have never (touchwood!! haha) got a puncture on the front. It's always on the back wheel so it's a bit longer dealing with all the chains and things.

But... because the tyres are so small, it's just a pain to put them back onto the wheel. It's almost as if the tyre is too small for the wheel. Putting it back on, I basically have to stretch it with all my strength.

Is the tyre meant to be like this on road bikes? It took me 40 minutes to sort out. This was at home, but I'd almost feel a bit embarrassed doing this in public!
Use science - and tyre levers.

http://www.halfords.com/cycling/bike-maintenance/bike-puncture-repair/halfords-glass-fibre-reinforced-bike-tyre-levers-x-3

Quick Reply

Latest