The Student Room Group

Really Nervous about Flat Sharing?

Hey!

I'm having an issue with the prospect of sharing a flat to save money for the 3rd year of my course as it's a top-up and i'm not expecting full support from student finance.

Thing is, I'm a very introverted, very private person with physical and mental health problems and the idea of sharing a flat scares the ever living sh*t out of me.
Not to mention my PC is pretty much my life, and I hate the idea of that being stolen when I'm home visiting family or messed with by my flatmates, the work I do on there is invaluable and I cannot lose it, the thought of that alone really scares me away from flat sharing.
The work I do on said PC requires a LOT of focus and I hate it when I'm torn away from that focus because my current neighbours put on loud music and start partying. It's one of the things I HATE about student life is the constant party culture, I'm very much an all work no play kind of woman.

I have no idea what flat sharing is like, can any flat sharers give me a hand here? reassure me? give me survival tips?
So pretty much look for a flat/house with locks on the bedroom doors (that's pretty standard, you're better off looking for ones without locks so you know to avoid them), and quiet housemates which can usually be found by just looking for a flat with older people.
get a lock put on your door for peace of mind (if you are allowed) and open a cloud storage account like box or google drive or onedrive which should be free and linked to your uni email account.

you can also advertise asking to share a flat with another introvert or just keep yourself to yourself like my friend did throughout her first year (she never spoke to any of them and they left her alone)
Reply 3
Thanks all!

My current work volume is in the terabytes, otherwise i would be all in for using cloud storage, I suppose I could research how to set up NAS, I don't think anyone's going to be fussed with a box full of hard disks. And can even rent out storage space to my flatmates!

hmm, i'm actually liking that idea...

will have to research it...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending