The Student Room Group

Can I call and enquire about my friend at work?

One of my friends recently started a new job but has been through a tough time lately. I've seen pics of him and he looks very sad. Can I call his employer to ask about his wellbeing? I don't want my friend to know I called. He is ignoring everyone including mutual friends so we are a bit concerned. Thanks
Original post by Anonymous
One of my friends recently started a new job but has been through a tough time lately. I've seen pics of him and he looks very sad. Can I call his employer to ask about his wellbeing? I don't want my friend to know I called. He is ignoring everyone including mutual friends so we are a bit concerned. Thanks

No you can't.
Reply 2
Original post by Tiger Rag
No you can't.

I thought so tbh :frown:
Reply 3
Original post by Tiger Rag
No you can't.
This. While I'd say it wouldn't hurt to phone anyway and ask them to relay the message that you hope they're OK, in reality they wouldn't, and they'd potentially wonder if they should have employed OP's friend in the first place, if they've got bad enough problems to warrant friends phoning on to check up on them.
Reply 4
Original post by Tootles
This. While I'd say it wouldn't hurt to phone anyway and ask them to relay the message that you hope they're OK, in reality they wouldn't, and they'd potentially wonder if they should have employed OP's friend in the first place, if they've got bad enough problems to warrant friends phoning on to check up on them.

I wish I could enquire anonymously but not sure what or how much they would tell me. Need to think of an alternative idea. Thanks
Reply 5
I wish I could enquire anonymously but not sure what or how much they would tell me. Need to think of an alternative idea. Thanks
How about chill your beans and wait for your friend to get back to you? Otherwise you run the risk of becoming more than a little bit stalkerish.
Reply 6
Original post by Tootles
How about chill your beans and wait for your friend to get back to you? Otherwise you run the risk of becoming more than a little bit stalkerish.

I'll give that a go. Cheers
As soon as you ring it's going to open a massive can of worms, I'm taking a guess that this employer doesn't know your friend is going through a tough time so you not only put them in an awkward situation (as if it's something serious they have to follow up on it) but then it puts him in an awkward situation wondering a) how they know whats happening and b)He may not want to talk about it

Also...that's a really stalkerish thing to do
Reply 8
Original post by Jackieox
As soon as you ring it's going to open a massive can of worms, I'm taking a guess that this employer doesn't know your friend is going through a tough time so you not only put them in an awkward situation (as if it's something serious they have to follow up on it) but then it puts him in an awkward situation wondering a) how they know whats happening and b)He may not want to talk about it

Also...that's a really stalkerish thing to do

Appreciate your reply but it's not stalkerish if you knew the full circumstances. It's called caring.
God no one can say anything without other people being down right rude about it. They are not in your situation 😡 makes me mad that people can be so rude.
I feel for you because I've need in the same situation, I've watched my friend go through things and still does, her manager however is aware but she does struggle a lot at work and I don't think her colleagues are quite so understanding ☹️
I hope your friends ok. It may make him feel better if he knows that you care. It's horrible wanting to check in but not being able too. I've too considered calling people who I think may help but haven't because she just wouldn't want me to do that and it's not worth losing her as a friend or making it worse. X

Posted from TSR Mobile
Appreciate your reply but it's not stalkerish if you knew the full circumstances. It's called caring.

To call your friend when they're knowingly at work and busy just to ask if they're okay (And trust me i've been in some really tough situations myself and i've been on the other end of this, my best friend called my work after i'd been ignoring everyone for a month and it just put me in a really awkward situation and i ended up leaving that job two months later because of it) is stalkerish.

If you're that concerned go to their place of work (If they work in a shop or something) and talk to them. If you can't do that wait until they finish shift and go and meet them afterwards or go to their house. There is better ways to show that you care other than putting them on the spot and forcing them to talk about issues to people they may not know that well. It shows you care more if you do it face to face rather than calling their boss who may not even know their employee is struggling.

Calling their place of work could even end up getting them fired..

I think he'd be really angry if you did this. I would be. I strongly advise you not to do this.

Pretty sure that'd be breach of privacy...
Original post by Reality Check
I think he'd be really angry if you did this. I would be. I strongly advise you not to do this.

I can't say I'd be too happy if someone did this to me.
Much as it is good you are concerned, a workplace should only be contacted in s real emergency such as if a parent was in an accident or gone to hospitsl.

Can you not make contact on another way such as via a brother or parent?
No you really can't. Their workplace may not be aware there's an issue and then you've put their job in danger. Even if they do know there's an issue they won't breach privacy and discuss it with you and you'll still put their job at risk because what employer wants to get caught up in that sort of drama? It will seem really out of touch with workplace norms.
Original post by EmilyLouiseR
God no one can say anything without other people being down right rude about it. They are not in your situation 😡 makes me mad that people can be so rude.
I feel for you because I've need in the same situation, I've watched my friend go through things and still does, her manager however is aware but she does struggle a lot at work and I don't think her colleagues are quite so understanding ☹️
I hope your friends ok. It may make him feel better if he knows that you care. It's horrible wanting to check in but not being able too. I've too considered calling people who I think may help but haven't because she just wouldn't want me to do that and it's not worth losing her as a friend or making it worse. X

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you for your kind words. I know. You can't say anything without people turning it into a negative. If only they knew how much I think about and care about this friend. I'm genuinely concerned and not an hour goes by where I don't think about him and if he's okay. I know physically he's fine but mentally can be a real b!tc..h. X
Original post by barnetlad
Much as it is good you are concerned, a workplace should only be contacted in s real emergency such as if a parent was in an accident or gone to hospitsl.

Can you not make contact on another way such as via a brother or parent?

I've never met nor spoken to any of his family. The only contact method I have is his brothers LinkedIn, which may be a tad creepy. I know they don't get on and hate each other, but I wouldn't want him knowing I contacted his bro

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending