The Student Room Group

Would your parents ever bribe you to revise?

An article was published this week about parents bribing their children to revise, in order to motivate them to achieve good grades :eek:

Apparently, three-quarters (78%) of parents across the UK have promised rewards to encourage their children to do well in their upcoming exams.

The research suggests A-grade students could typically be in line for around £300 around £100 higher than the average £205 per child that parents plan to shell out.

One in 20 parents will also treat their child to a holiday to celebrate their exams, while one in 50 will contribute to the cost of a car.

Did you / have you been promised any extravagant rewards if you achieve good grades?

Or maybe your parents would never dream of doing so?!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
No
Reply 2
My parents are Asian so it was more blackmail.
Reply 3
Original post by discobish
An article was published this week about parents bribing their children to revise, in order to motivate them to achieve good grades :eek:

Apparently, three-quarters (78%) of parents across the UK have promised rewards to encourage their children to do well in their upcoming exams.

The research suggests A-grade students could typically be in line for around £300 around £100 higher than the average £205 per child that parents plan to shell out.

One in 20 parents will also treat their child to a holiday to celebrate their exams, while one in 50 will contribute to the cost of a car.

Did you / have you been promised any extravagant rewards if you achieve good grades?

My parents always gave stuff when I completed any educational or talent grade.

SAT all 5's - £100

GCSES A's and B's - £200

A Levels ----- well *cough* I got this face -->:eyeball::lolwut::unimpressed:

But, then I got an apprenticeship job and I'm all good ahaha :h:
Reply 4
I know someone who was offered something ridiculous for his GCSE grades from his parents (like £100 per C, £200 per B, £300 per A and £500 per A*, they came out with a fair amount of money
If only.
Nope - would be a good money making scheme!!
They tried, it didn't work.
My parents said we'll go get a roast dinner at toby carvery on results night if I meet the conditions of my firm choice offer (D*D*A) so...

Although my brother did say he would give me £100 if I got 5A's at GCSE, I got 4 A's and one of my B grades was 1 raw mark off an A:s-smilie:
No..not really..
surely the grade itself is the reward?
My parents set up money rewards for my older brother to try and help him get better grades. For every:
A = $20
B = $10
C = $0
D = He owed them $10
E = He owed them $20

Unfortunately for them, I called favouritism and when I got to his age, they did the same for me...I be like,

Edit: God, I was a smug kid :u:
Looool if not getting a slap was a bribe then sure thing :lol:
Original post by discobish

I'm taken out for a meal after my exams
Original post by UWS
My parents are Asian so it was more blackmail.

I was bribed with a longer life expectancy/well-being. Does that count?
No lmao
Yeah not proud of it but I just couldn't be bothered to revise so my parents bribed me. I got £50 for every A and £60 for every A* at GCSE. AS and A level was £100 per A grade. To be honest it didn't get me to revise any more.
Original post by BlinkyBill
My parents set up money rewards for my older brother to try and help him get better grades. For every:
A = $20
B = $10
C = $0
D = He owed them $10
E = He owed them $20

Unfortunately for them, I called favouritism and when I got to his age, they did the same for me...I be like,

Edit: God, I was a smug kid :u:

Maybe adding a 0 to the top 2 amounts would have been a nice idea :wink:

My mother says that I just do my best. No bribary or anything
Original post by ThatsAGoodOne349
Maybe adding a 0 to the top 2 amounts would have been a nice idea :wink:

My mother says that I just do my best. No bribary or anything

that's a tad dull.
I either get a meal, cash, a holiday, two of them, or all of them!
Original post by Nunchuck-master-2334
that's a tad dull.
I either get a meal, cash, a holiday, two of them, or all of them!

bring em all on :wink:

Quick Reply

Latest