The Student Room Group

Some multiple choice questions...

Hey, please could someone help me with these?

EDIT: This is from an A level paper (A2) so i would prefer help from someone who has studied at this level or higher.

Screenshot 2017-05-11 16.55.23.png
Attachment not found
Attachment not found
(edited 6 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

So the first one assign oxidation states to the metal before and after although if you give them all a cursory glance you should be able to spot the one with an increase in oxidation state pretty quickly. The second one is just a remembering metal ion tests one- two metal make the same coloured participate (white) with ammonia and you differentiate between them by adding excess ammonia and one redissolves (I remember this from edexcel c3). Third one I haven't done a2 yet but I think it's 2. Last one is a comparing increasing strength of id-id intermolecular forces as Mr increases vs hydrogen bonded in terms of strength.
Reply 2
Original post by black1blade
So the first one assign oxidation states to the metal before and after although if you give them all a cursory glance you should be able to spot the one with an increase in oxidation state pretty quickly. The second one is just a remembering metal ion tests one- two metal make the same coloured participate (white) with ammonia and you differentiate between them by adding excess ammonia and one redissolves (I remember this from edexcel c3). Third one I haven't done a2 yet but I think it's 2. Last one is a comparing increasing strength of id-id intermolecular forces as Mr increases vs hydrogen bonded in terms of strength.

One of the questions didnt attach:
Screenshot 2017-05-11 17.57.16.png

For the first one its D but i dont really know why. The oxidation state of Mg = 2+ on both sides.

No idea what youre saying for the second one :/

I thought it was 2 too but the answer is B

Why is the last one not D - F is more electronegative than N right?
Original post by kiiten
One of the questions didnt attach:
Screenshot 2017-05-11 17.57.16.png

For the first one its D but i dont really know why. The oxidation state of Mg = 2+ on both sides.

No idea what youre saying for the second one :/

I thought it was 2 too but the answer is B

Why is the last one not D - F is more electronegative than N right?

So a couple misunderstandings which is what they do with multiple choice, place feasible incorrect answers. Remember that the oxidation state of an element is 0 so Mg goes from 0 to +2 in the first one. For the last one, the greater mr making stronger instantaneous diope- induced dipole bonds is actually more significant than slightly stronger hydrogen bonds. For the second one, it should be in the textbook in the bit about ion tests.
Reply 4
Original post by black1blade
So a couple misunderstandings which is what they do with multiple choice, place feasible incorrect answers. Remember that the oxidation state of an element is 0 so Mg goes from 0 to +2 in the first one. For the last one, the greater mr making stronger instantaneous diope- induced dipole bonds is actually more significant than slightly stronger hydrogen bonds. For the second one, it should be in the textbook in the bit about ion tests.

Ohh yeah i forgot about that rule. For diatomic molecules like Cl2 is the oxidation state also 0?

Wait dont they both have permanent dipole? Do you mean the CH3NH2 has stronger van der waals as both have H bonding and permanent dipole?
Reply 5
NOTE: I still need help! - from someone who does A2 :frown:
Out of that list only methylamine has hydrogen bonding. Don't forget that hydrogen bonding not only only requires the presence of N,O,F, but it must be connected to an H. Fluoromethane does not have hydrogen bonding.

Hydrogen bonding is the strongest IM force, with the caveat that Van der Waals becomes stronger as molecules increase in weight. Obviously C12H26 has a higher boiling point than methylamine.
Original post by kiiten
Ohh yeah i forgot about that rule. For diatomic molecules like Cl2 is the oxidation state also 0?

Wait dont they both have permanent dipole? Do you mean the CH3NH2 has stronger van der waals as both have H bonding and permanent dipole?

Oh yeah they have permanent dipoles and thinking about it they don't have hydrogen bonds but yeah it's c because stronger van de waals. And yeah diatomic elements are also zero.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 8
Original post by kiiten

Yeah all elements on their own have an oxidation state of 0 including Cl2.

But if it was in a compound for example MgCl2 then the oxidation state of Cl2 would be -2 as there's two chlorines, so for one chlorine it would be -1.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9
Original post by tony_dolby
Out of that list only methylamine has hydrogen bonding. Don't forget that hydrogen bonding not only only requires the presence of N,O,F, but it must be connected to an H. Fluoromethane does not have hydrogen bonding.

Hydrogen bonding is the strongest IM force, with the caveat that Van der Waals becomes stronger as molecules increase in weight. Obviously C12H26 has a higher boiling point than methylamine.

Where did you get C12H26 from??

Wait is permanent dipole not stronger than H bonding? Does CH3F just have permanent dipole and van der waals but CH3NH2 has permanent dipole, H bonding and more van der waals so its stronger?
Hydrogen bonding is stronger than pd-pd yeah.
Reply 11
From strongest to weakest forces is it:

Ionic/covalent ---> H bonding ----> dipole-dipole ----> van der waals
Original post by kiiten
From strongest to weakest forces is it:

Ionic/covalent ---> H bonding ----> dipole-dipole ----> van der waals

It is not quite as straightforward as that as I was trying to point out with the C12H26 example. This has a much higher boiling point than smaller molecules with hydrogen bonding.

If the Mr is roughly the same, then you are right H bonding is stronger than dipole-dipole which is stronger than Van der Waals.

As Mr increases, VDWs becomes very significant.

Many covalent bonds are exceptionally strong and stronger than ionic bonds. Most molecular covalent elements and compounds have low boiling points not because their covalent bonds are weak, but because the intermolecular forces which we are breaking in melting or boiling them are weak.
Reply 13
It is not quite as straightforward as that as I was trying to point out with the C12H26 example. This has a much higher boiling point than smaller molecules with hydrogen bonding.

If the Mr is roughly the same, then you are right H bonding is stronger than dipole-dipole which is stronger than Van der Waals.

As Mr increases, VDWs becomes very significant.

Many covalent bonds are exceptionally strong and stronger than ionic bonds. Most molecular covalent elements and compounds have low boiling points not because their covalent bonds are weak, but because the intermolecular forces which we are breaking in melting or boiling them are weak.

Ah ok but generally speaking that order is correct?
Original post by kiiten
Ah ok but generally speaking that order is correct?

Perfect.
Reply 15
Perfect.

so does CH3F just have van der waals and permanent dipole?
Original post by kiiten
so does CH3F just have van der waals and permanent dipole?

Yep. People always fall for the examiner's trick here. They see an 'F' and think 'hydrogen bonding' without realizing that there is no H connected to the F!

Permanent dipole is the most significant intermolecular force in this particular molecule.
Reply 17
Yep. People always fall for the examiner's trick here. They see an 'F' and think 'hydrogen bonding' without realizing that there is no H connected to the F!

Permanent dipole is the most significant intermolecular force in this particular molecule.

Why is question 21 AgCl?

My revision guide says AgCl produces a white precipitate not a colourless solution?

Screenshot 2017-05-11 21.18.50.png
The white precipitate (AgCl) dissolves in excess ammonia to produce a colourless solution.
Reply 19
The white precipitate (AgCl) dissolves in excess ammonia to produce a colourless solution.

Sorry if this is a stupid question but why doesnt it produce a white solution?

Quick Reply

Latest