The Student Room Group

Part time student and benefits.

Just gave DWP a call and they told me I could not get a part time tution fee loan while being on ESA.

Is this a new change because when I rang last year they said it was possible.
Original post by illegaltobepoor
Just gave DWP a call and they told me I could not get a part time tution fee loan while being on ESA.

Is this a new change because when I rang last year they said it was possible.

Not heard this before. You can study part time whilst on benefits without needing to claim PIP / DLA. Your tuition fee loan isn't counted as income for ESA.
Original post by Tiger Rag
Not heard this before. You can study part time whilst on benefits without needing to claim PIP / DLA. Your tuition fee loan isn't counted as income for ESA.

Well I rang up and the DWP adviser said the tuition fee loan now counts as income and there for would void my entitlement to income based ESA.
Original post by illegaltobepoor
Well I rang up and the DWP adviser said the tuition fee loan now counts as income and there for would void my entitlement to income based ESA.

I'd ask for this in writing. I'd also contact SFE and get them to put it in writing that the tuition fee loan isn't your money and goes straight to the uni. (whereas if you were entitled to a maintenance loan, it would be)

Disability Rights UK probably know more than me and might be able to talk to DWP for you.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending