The Student Room Group

Know my first choice for uni but not any others?

Hi, I'm currently in year 12 and wish to study Classical Civilisation/Studies at uni. I know my first choice for where I want to go, but I've looked at lots of other courses online and I'm not as interested in them as I am my first choice. Not to the point where I would want to spend 3-4 years studying them at least. Many courses have more of a focus on archeology, rather than history and literature which is what I prefer.

Do you have to use all of your choices for UCAS? Any advice will be appreciated. Thank you :smile:
(edited 6 years ago)
No you don't have to use all 5, but it is advised in case your preferred uni rejects you
Original post by lyd_kate
Hi, I'm currently in year 12 and wish to study Classical Civilisation/Studies at uni. I know my first choice for where I want to go, but I've looked at lots of other courses online and I'm not really interested in any of them. Not to the point where I would want to spend 3-4 years studying them at least. Many courses have more of a focus on archeology, rather than history and literature which is what I prefer.

Do you have to use all of your choices for UCAS? Any advice will be appreciated. Thank you :smile:

I would say try to use 2 at least, just in case you don't get into your first choice. I was in a similar position, and I do a similar subject. I ended up applying for 5, and I got into 4 (which left me with only 1 of the 2 that I really wanted to go to, so I went to that one). If you need any advice then please let me know.

Posted from TSR Mobile
As other posters have noted, you should apply to several in case your first choice doesn't make you an offer. Also applying to more than one costs the same as applying to five so, you may as well try to find five to apply to.

If you're not interested in the archaeology aspect you may want to look into Ancient History courses; this will focus less on that. However it should be noted the emphasis on archaeology is due to the fact that what we know about these ancient cultures is due to archaeological investigation, and it's important to understand the biases and limitations this imposes on our knowledge.

Some examples are British Archaeologists smashing off all the noses from the Pharaonic statues because they were clearly of African heritage and that didn't fit in with Victorian notions of classical civilization's superiority compared with their view of African peoples at the time. Alternately how archaeologists continue to conveniently ignore what are clearly female Norse warriors buried in traditional warrior style, or of course the notion Alexander and Hephaestion were just "guys being pals" when the latter's tomb built under the purview of Alexander was so lavish it was mistaken for his own.

So, archaeology is emphasized because it is important in the study of ancient cultures. However Ancient History courses may emphasize this aspect less; similarly Classical Language oriented courses are likely to not emphasize this as much simply due to the fact studying ancient languages takes a significant amount of time anyway (although typically there are options to study archaeology as well and it may be reference in passing in some parts of the course).
Original post by artful_lounger
As other posters have noted, you should apply to several in case your first choice doesn't make you an offer. Also applying to more than one costs the same as applying to five so, you may as well try to find five to apply to.

If you're not interested in the archaeology aspect you may want to look into Ancient History courses; this will focus less on that. However it should be noted the emphasis on archaeology is due to the fact that what we know about these ancient cultures is due to archaeological investigation, and it's important to understand the biases and limitations this imposes on our knowledge.

Some examples are British Archaeologists smashing off all the noses from the Pharaonic statues because they were clearly of African heritage and that didn't fit in with Victorian notions of classical civilization's superiority compared with their view of African peoples at the time. Alternately how archaeologists continue to conveniently ignore what are clearly female Norse warriors buried in traditional warrior style, or of course the notion Alexander and Hephaestion were just "guys being pals" when the latter's tomb built under the purview of Alexander was so lavish it was mistaken for his own.

So, archaeology is emphasized because it is important in the study of ancient cultures. However Ancient History courses may emphasize this aspect less; similarly Classical Language oriented courses are likely to not emphasize this as much simply due to the fact studying ancient languages takes a significant amount of time anyway (although typically there are options to study archaeology as well and it may be reference in passing in some parts of the course).

Great post, to add on:

Plus if you study it up to the Masters or PhD level all of it will be related to one another anyway and therefore it's good to have a base knowledge on these subjects before studying them to a higher level.
Reply 5
Thanks to all the replies, I'm very grateful. I found a university compare website to help me narrow my choices more easily, so I believe I have my 5 choices (fingers crossed). Now to start the personal statement!
Original post by lyd_kate
Thanks to all the replies, I'm very grateful. I found a university compare website to help me narrow my choices more easily, so I believe I have my 5 choices (fingers crossed). Now to start the personal statement!

No problem and good luck :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending