The Student Room Group

Is it safe for muslims student to study in uk?

With current conflicts going on there, i feel too scared to study there. i wont be wearing the scarf ( i am not committed to it yet), but i am afraid going to places like mosque, halal butcher shops etc. my mum wears the scarf, i dont want her to face any form of harassment when she comes to visit me in uni.
Original post by nanachan123
With current conflicts going on there, i feel too scared to study there. i wont be wearing the scarf ( i am not committed to it yet), but i am afraid going to places like mosque, halal butcher shops etc. my mum wears the scarf, i dont want her to face any form of harassment when she comes to visit me in uni.

There are over 4m Muslims in the UK. I highly doubt she will get any form of harassment those people are morons and should be ignored. They exist but very few would say something openly imo.

Uni itself should be open minded and tolerant.

I wouldnt overestimate the conflicts, just some extremist loons have decided to attack civilians. Much more dangerous to cross the road. Before these last 3 events then fatal attacks were few and far between.
Original post by 999tigger
There are over 4m Muslims in the UK. I highly doubt she will get any form of harassment those people are morons and should be ignored. They exist but very few would say something openly imo.

Uni itself should be open minded and tolerant.

I wouldnt overestimate the conflicts, just some extremist loons have decided to attack civilians. Much more dangerous to cross the road. Before these last 3 events then fatal attacks were few and far between.

Does harassment/discrimination towards muslims actually take place there?I have only seen it in news but i have hard time believing it. Have you ever come across it? is it very often?
Reply 3
Are you thinking of studying in London? Every major city is incredibly diverse, so people get along with each other. If you don't wear a scarf you personally would be at even less risk of racism. The areas with Mosques and Halal restaurants and butchers are concentrated with Muslims.

I feel if anyone does have any hate/issues with Muslims, they're very unlikely to say it to your face. Most racists stick together. If you have a strong accent or cannot speak English fluently, you may experience higher levels of abuse.

Passive racism is probably your biggest threat, but you've just got to learn to roll with the punches.

All in all, the UK may have slightly more unwelcoming people than perhaps other MEDC's but it also has a large population of British-born Muslims that you can find in every city, they can make you feel safer if you do find it challenging to live there.
Original post by nanachan123
Does harassment/discrimination towards muslims actually take place there?I have only seen it in news but i have hard time believing it. Have you ever come across it? is it very often?

I'm not a Muslim, but its only a few idiots that have antipathy. I doubt youd experience it. If you are going to London thats incredibly diverse. As pointed out no scarf would make it even less likely. We are talking a very low chance imo.

Why not talk to muslims in your unis international society or Islamic society? They can tell you what its like. There is some racism, but that counts for other ethnic communities as well, but low level.

It wouldnt spoil your uni experience. If you had a couple of incidents in a year of someone saying something id be surprised. In contrast someone posted something about studying in Bulgaria and she found the racism petty bad and blatant.
Depends where you study only people who will say it is totally safe are ignorant whites who thick racisim etc doesnt exist.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending