The Student Room Group

Do guys care about a girl's weight?

I'm an 18yo female who is quite chubby and have never had a boyfriend, nor sex yet. I feel so awkward because all my friends seem to have had sex or had a boyfriend and I can't seem to figure out what is wrong with me.

Without being modest, of course, I think I'm fairly attractive (and when I had Tinder that was reflected because I got a fair few matches based on my face (I didn't show my body) - even though that's not the best measure) and I consider myself to be a generous person, putting everyone else before myself first...

And the fact that I haven't got a guy or had sex yet makes me assume that this is down to my weight... so I was wondering from the guys of TSR - do you consider weight to be a factor in judging whether a girl is attractive or not? Please be honest because I'm just curious.

I'm just fed up of being single and while a boyfriend isn't the priority in my life, it'd just feel nice to be known that I am loved because I have terrible self-esteem, mild anxiety and have depressive spells as a result of relentless bullying regarding my weight...

I'm planning to lose weight over the summer after I complete my A-Levels anyway more for myself as a way of improving my self-esteem and feeling proud of myself but whether that will happen or not, I really don't know yet.

Thank you for any contributions anyone can give.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Oh and also to add, my opinion on my personality and attractiveness is also based on what other people have told me as well, not just my own perception.
Reply 2
Depends on the weight

I only have issue with the body types 1,2,7,8 & 9
anything from 3-6 and I care not.
Reply 4
Some chubby girls are cute but if she's overweight then it can be off-putting unless she was making an attempt to lose weight.
Of course weight matters. It's matter of evolutionary biology combined with social conditioning.

There is a big caveat however. The weight which women feel is appropriate for them is often thought to be too thin by men. I'd probably say that most men would consider 25-35% (body fat level) to be the sweet spot but most women want to be thinner and fashion models in my opinion are far too thin - to the point that it's quite unattractive. Refer to the pic below for reference...

(edited 6 years ago)
If I am judging someone based only on their looks, then weight would be a factor.
If I like a person for who they are, weight doesn't matter to me.

Now, here's the deal. I live in Kazakhstan, and have lived only in Europe my whole life. I haven't seen many "fat" people in my schools, so what I consider fat may be different than what the UK considers it. For example, I am 16, 183 cm and weigh ~65kg. I would like to lose some weight.
Reply 7
Original post by XOR_

I only have issue with the body types 1,2,7,8 & 9
anything from 3-6 and I care not.

I would say I'm probably a 5 or 6 on that scale.
Original post by Anonymous
when I had Tinder that was reflected because I got a fair few matches based on my face

Okay first off this means nothing, there's so many examples of honestly ugly girls getting thirsty guys throwing themselves at them.

Guys care indirectly about a girl's weight. They don't care about the number, it's the looks. TBH, if you're obviously fat then fit guys aren't going to dig you. Chubby, that's more a preference. Some wont, some will.
So long as they're not overweight or underweight to the point it's unhealthy, no.
If it really shows then obviously (though a little chubby/skinny might not matter).
Oh and also to add, my opinion on my personality and attractiveness is also based on what other people have told me as well, not just my own perception.

No not really.
Reply 12
do girls care about a guy's weight? There's your answer.
Of course your looks matter and weight is a part of that. But different guys will care more or less about their preferences... some will only date skinny girls, some will only date chubby girls, some will date anyone who isn't extreme and some will have a slight preference but be happy to date someone outside of that if they like them. And many guys will feel that a good face outweighs a mediocre body - and it does sound like your body is mediocre rather than fat given what you said about being a 5-6 on that scale.

My guess is that your confidence is probably causing you more issues than your weight for getting a boyfriend.

Don't stress about not having had sex or anything, it'll happen in it's own time and frankly plenty of people rushing to have sex at 15/16/17 have crappy experiences anyway as they don't know their own mind or body well enough!
Original post by mrshizzler2
For example, I am 16, 183 cm and weigh ~65kg. I would like to lose some weight.

I wouldn't recommend it
*bites burger*

What's a guy....
Original post by doodle_333
Of course your looks matter and weight is a part of that. But different guys will care more or less about their preferences... some will only date skinny girls, some will only date chubby girls, some will date anyone who isn't extreme and some will have a slight preference but be happy to date someone outside of that if they like them. And many guys will feel that a good face outweighs a mediocre body - and it does sound like your body is mediocre rather than fat given what you said about being a 5-6 on that scale.

My guess is that your confidence is probably causing you more issues than your weight for getting a boyfriend.

Don't stress about not having had sex or anything, it'll happen in it's own time and frankly plenty of people rushing to have sex at 15/16/17 have crappy experiences anyway as they don't know their own mind or body well enough!

You're probably right I guess, I just feel rushed because of the social circumstances. Like I say everyone else I know has done it so I guess, like you say, it's my confidence issues making me feel like I'm not normal. Thank you :smile:
Reply 17
I'm an 18yo female who is quite chubby and have never had a boyfriend, nor sex yet. I feel so awkward because all my friends seem to have had sex or had a boyfriend and I can't seem to figure out what is wrong with me.

Without being modest, of course, I think I'm fairly attractive (and when I had Tinder that was reflected because I got a fair few matches based on my face (I didn't show my body) - even though that's not the best measure) and I consider myself to be a generous person, putting everyone else before myself first...

And the fact that I haven't got a guy or had sex yet makes me assume that this is down to my weight... so I was wondering from the guys of TSR - do you consider weight to be a factor in judging whether a girl is attractive or not? Please be honest because I'm just curious.

I'm just fed up of being single and while a boyfriend isn't the priority in my life, it'd just feel nice to be known that I am loved because I have terrible self-esteem, mild anxiety and have depressive spells as a result of relentless bullying regarding my weight...

I'm planning to lose weight over the summer after I complete my A-Levels anyway more for myself as a way of improving my self-esteem and feeling proud of myself but whether that will happen or not, I really don't know yet.

Thank you for any contributions anyone can give.

@SmokingChains and @ShadowSeeker what do you guys think? Since you are guys.
Depends how much they weigh and how tall they are according to their weight.
You're probably right I guess, I just feel rushed because of the social circumstances. Like I say everyone else I know has done it so I guess, like you say, it's my confidence issues making me feel like I'm not normal. Thank you :smile:

definitely not everyone aged 18 has! Maybe you have a particularly sexually active social circle... or maybe there's a couple of other people feeling the rpessure and making something up... either way, it's really not a big deal! It's far better to lose your virginity under good circumstances and have great sex after when you're 21 than have a crappy experience followed by crappy sex from age 16-20

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending