The Student Room Group

Penalty for not telling HMRC?

So I used to be self employed for three years up to March this year. I didn't know I had to tell HMRC but I just found out I do. I only made around £200 or less altogether over the three years so I know I don't need to pay any taxes because you have to be earning £1100 or more but I'm really worried about the penalties. It's £100 for being 3 months late with tax returns so my first year of being self employed will be a lot and I'm so worried I won't be able to pay it all. I'm still waiting for a UTR number so I can file my tax returns. I plan on doing them as quickly as possible once I get the UTR number. This is really stressing me out. I never told my mum I was self employed either and still haven't, I'm worried she will have to pay a fine for not telling I was self employed. If she is fined, how much will it be?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1
Original post by samzy21
So I used to be self employed for three years up to March this year. I didn't know I had to tell HMRC but I just found out I do. I only made around £200 or less altogether over the three years so I know I don't need to pay any taxes because you have to be earning £1100 or more but I'm really worried about the penalties. It's £100 for being 3 months late with tax returns so my first year of being self employed will be a lot and I'm so worried I won't be able to pay it all. I'm still waiting for a UTR number so I can file my tax returns. I plan on doing them as quickly as possible once I get the UTR number. This is really stressing me out. I never told my mum I was self employed either and still haven't, I'm worried she will have to pay a fine for not telling I was self employed. If she is fined, how much will it be?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Just to clarify, she's not liable, you are.

Declaring your tax is a personal responsibility, so it's likely to be you facing repercussions, should there actually be any. From the numbers though, I'm guess that 1. You couldn't pay a fine personally, and 2. HMRC really couldn't give a flying

As long as you declare it to them, they'll look favourably, should they want to launch an investigation, you'd have to provide evidence, but realistically with suck small numbers involved, they likely won't care.

Definitely inform your mum so she's aware, hiding it will only make things worse.
Original post by samzy21

Posted from TSR Mobile

OK - a couple of things.

Your mum is nothing to do with this. You alone are responsible for your tax affairs, and your mother has nothing to do with it, including any penalties HMRC may impose.

Regarding penalties, they are based now on a percentage on something called PLR - Potential Lost Revenue which is, in other words, the tax that was due but not declared or paid when it should have been. There is no PLR on the figures you quote, and thus no penalty to pay with respect to this. However, as you know, once you become self employed you have to tell HMRC and complete a tax return, even if there is no tax to pay. The penalty for failing to inform here is rather different, and you might face a penalty - however, given the very small sums involved and the fact that there is no tax to pay, I think you'll be OK with it.

https://www.gov.uk/self-assessment-tax-returns/penalties
(edited 6 years ago)
There will be no penalty. This is not a late return as they never sent you a return to fill in. It is a failure to notify HMRC that you need to file a return. The penalties for this are calculated as a percentage of the tax due. No tax due, no penalty.

Even if there was tax due HMRC are very nice about unprompted disclosures of genuine mistakes so you would be fine anyway.
Original post by Reality Check
OK - a couple of things.

Your mum is nothing to do with this. You alone are responsible for your tax affairs, and your mother has nothing to do with it, including any penalties HMRC may impose.

Regarding penalties, they are based now on a percentage on something called PLR - Potential Lost Revenue which is, in other words, the tax that was due but not declared or paid when it should have been. There is no PLR on the figures you quote, and thus no penalty to pay with respect to this. However, as you know, once you become self employed you have to tell HMRC and complete a tax return, even if there is no tax to pay. The penalty for failing to inform here is rather different, and you might face a penalty - however, given the very small sums involved and the fact that there is no tax to pay, I think you'll be OK with it.

https://www.gov.uk/self-assessment-tax-returns/penalties

What about profits and losses? I'm not sure how to work out if I had any as the online account I used to work on was deleted by me when I stopped working and I can't get the account back. I doubt I did get any profits and losses with what little I earned but the tax return asks about them. This is so confusing. I'm never getting into self employment again, it's been such a hassle and making me stressed all the time.

Any one thinking of self employment? my advice is don't bother. Get a normal job where you work for someone and all this is taken care of by someone else and taxes are taken out automatically from your pay check.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Sternumator
There will be no penalty. This is not a late return as they never sent you a return to fill in. It is a failure to notify HMRC that you need to file a return. The penalties for this are calculated as a percentage of the tax due. No tax due, no penalty.

Even if there was tax due HMRC are very nice about unprompted disclosures of genuine mistakes so you would be fine anyway.

I hope you are right but the people I've spoken to on the HMRC website keep saying there are penalties for missing the deadlines for tax returns. I told them my situation but still they said I could face penalties

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by samzy21
So I used to be self employed for three years up to March this year. I didn't know I had to tell HMRC but I just found out I do. I only made around £200 or less altogether over the three years so I know I don't need to pay any taxes because you have to be earning £1100 or more but I'm really worried about the penalties.

I'm not a tax expert. However, it sounds more like a hobby than being self-employed. Did you make NI contributions?

My position would be that it was a hobby, not employment. If that is acceptable, it looks like you have nothing further to do:

https://www.gov.uk/self-assessment-tax-returns/who-must-send-a-tax-return

You’ll need to send a tax return if, in the last tax year:

you were self-employed - you can deduct allowable expenses

you got £2,500 or more in untaxed income, for example from tips or renting out a property - contact the helpline if it was less than £2,500

Why the panic now?
Reply 7
Original post by samzy21
I hope you are right but the people I've spoken to on the HMRC website keep saying there are penalties for missing the deadlines for tax returns. I told them my situation but still they said I could face penalties

Posted from TSR Mobile

You really won't.

For each tax year what were your total sales, total expenses, total profits?

What product/service were you selling?

What age are you?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by samzy21

Posted from TSR Mobile

There is a penalty for filing late which does not apply as you have not been sent a return to complete.

There is also a penalty for failing to tell HMRC that you need a return. This is the deadline you have missed. However, the penalty is based on the tax liability.

This is quite a good link:

http://taxaid.org.uk/guides/taxpayers/tax-returns/late-tax-returns

If you register for self assessment late (within three months of the filing deadline or later), the deadline is extended to three months from the date of issue of the return. The revised due date will be shown on the Tax Return / notice to file that you are sent.

Once they have sent you the return to fill in, you have three months to do it before you are late.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 9
Original post by samzy21

Posted from TSR Mobile

most people would have just kept quiet.

A mere £200 quid

I can almost guarantee that would have gone under their radar

now you face giving back most of it in fines as well as paying the tax on it.

It should have been pretty obvious they didn't know about it when they never asked you to file Tax returns during the 3 years in which you were self employed.....
Original post by ANM775

A mere £200 quid

It should have been pretty obvious they didn't know about it when they never asked you to file Tax returns during the 3 years in which you were self employed.....

Please don't encourage illegal activities. Plus it only compounds the issue potentially making it much worse a few years on.
Original post by ANM775

A mere £200 quid

there won't be any tax on it as you have to earn at least 1100 a year to pay taxes. I earned much less than that a year so I won't have to pay taxes. I could get a penalty though which is what I am worried about

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 12
Original post by samzy21
there won't be any tax on it as you have to earn at least 1100 a year to pay taxes. I earned much less than that a year so I won't have to pay taxes. I could get a penalty though which is what I am worried about

Posted from TSR Mobile

You won't.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 13
Original post by samzy21

Posted from TSR Mobile

yes, there won't be any tax on it because you didn't earn enough, but you were still supposed to file a tax return so they knew you didn't earn enough to pay tax on it. The fact that for 3 years running they never asked you to produce a tax return disclosing your income should have caused a cartoon styled exclamation mark to appear over your head and alerted you to the fact they had no clue you were working self employed.

Now by alerting them you risk possible fines of 3 years on the trot for not filing a tax return, plus any other fines they decide to lumber you with.

oh well................., at least you can say you did things by the book to try and comfort that empty purse....
Reply 14
Original post by ANM775
yes, there won't be any tax on it because you didn't earn enough, but you were still supposed to file a tax return so they knew you didn't earn enough to pay tax on it. The fact that for 3 years running they never asked you to produce a tax return disclosing your income should have caused a cartoon styled exclamation mark to appear over your head and alerted you to the fact they had no clue you were working self employed.

Now by alerting them you risk possible fines of 3 years on the trot for not filing a tax return, plus any other fines they decide to lumber you with.

oh well................., at least you can say you did things by the book to try and comfort that empty purse....

No. They aren't earning over £1000.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/income-tax-new-tax-allowance-for-property-and-trading-income/income-tax-new-tax-allowance-for-property-and-trading-income

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending