The Student Room Group

I want do drive!

Im almost 18 and really want to start driving. What should I do?
Reply 1
Original post by Ahsan Abbas

Uh well, start driving? :confused:
Learn to drive?
Moved to Learning to Drive.
kick your nan across the face and put your foot down on her nissan micra works 50% of the time, all the time
Reply 5
You want do drive?
Reply 6
Original post by qasim_96
Learn to drive?

Hi
Original post by QE4
Hi

Hello, who are you?
Reply 8
Original post by Ahsan Abbas

Have you passed your theory test?
That's a very general question! How about posting on social media and asking for driving instructor recommendations, or talk to friend or family members who are local and have learnt recently. Compare prices per lesson and consider whether you want to learn over a period of time, or have a short course designed to pass you in a couple of weeks. Be aware that the longer period of time you learn over, the safer your driving will be due to experience. Make sure you can finance the learning as it will be costly, coming in at £20-£25 per hour lesson and requiring anywhere between 25-60 lessons before you're confident enough to take a test and pass it.

Purchase a theory test book as you will have to pass the theory test before taking the practical test. The DVLA do a series of books to help you learn.

When it comes to booking and taking tests, search on the government website for more help. You will need to book tests a couple of months in advance unless a cancellation comes up. You will also need to be able to get to a test centre and hire your instructors car for the practical test.

Hope that helps :smile: Much more guidance will be on the gov.uk website.
Also bear in mind the running costs of a car once you've passed; insurance alone may be upwards of £1000 per year to start with, plus you need a buy a car and tax it and be able to cover any repairs and an MOT to keep it running.
Reply 11
Talk to some driving instructors, compare different driving school prices
1/10 troll

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending