The Student Room Group

Maintenance loan without 3 year residency?

Hi, I'm half polish, half british and moved to the UK last year after finishing higschool in Poland. I moved alone, now I'm 19 and working full time. I want to study in Edinburgh or London but in both cases it would be full time so I would need help with living costs. I don't get any financial support from my parents, and I fit the nationality and income criteria for the loan, but since I only moved last year and want to start university next september I'm wondering if I can still somehow get it? Or is there any other option? I would be very grateful for any kind of help, as in Poland it's completely different and I'm having a hard time understanding my options here. Thanks!
Original post by xxmery
Hi, I'm half polish, half british and moved to the UK last year after finishing higschool in Poland. I moved alone, now I'm 19 and working full time. I want to study in Edinburgh or London but in both cases it would be full time so I would need help with living costs. I don't get any financial support from my parents, and I fit the nationality and income criteria for the loan, but since I only moved last year and want to start university next september I'm wondering if I can still somehow get it? Or is there any other option? I would be very grateful for any kind of help, as in Poland it's completely different and I'm having a hard time understanding my options here. Thanks!

I m afraid you don't have the option to without having any family here. Also it's five years as an Eu student
Reply 2
Original post by claireestelle
I m afraid you don't have the option to without having any family here. Also it's five years as an Eu student

Thanks for the reply, I have a british passport and I do have a lot of family here, but it's uncles and cousins, my parents live in Poland. What does having family here change?
Original post by xxmery
Thanks for the reply, I have a british passport and I do have a lot of family here, but it's uncles and cousins, my parents live in Poland. What does having family here change?

Being a child of a migrant worker can sometimes make you eligible so you wouldn't be eligible anyway, having a british passport has no relevance with student finance.
Original post by xxmery

Hi xxmery,

You could apply as a Migrant Worker which would allow help with living costs. As a MW you would have to work & study to maintain the MW status. The form to apply on is found on the below link:

http://bit.ly/2tAXVNU

You would have to send your Original ID, your contract of employment, latest P60 and your last 3 months payslips. Section 12 of the application form would allow for a higher rate of Maintenance Loan but requires your parents to complete this part as it is based on their household income.

Warm regards.
Reply 5
Hello, I am almost at the same situation as was mentioned. I am Polish and I live in the UK, already 2 years. I work full time at the moment but from September I applied for full-time Uni. I am just wondering, if it is possible for me to get financial support as a future student. I do live here with my sister and we don't have any support from my parents so we pay for rent and bills on our own. Thank You in advance for the information.
Original post by Katcel
Hello, I am almost at the same situation as was mentioned. I am Polish and I live in the UK, already 2 years. I work full time at the moment but from September I applied for full-time Uni. I am just wondering, if it is possible for me to get financial support as a future student. I do live here with my sister and we don't have any support from my parents so we pay for rent and bills on our own. Thank You in advance for the information.

Hi Katcel,

If you are working in the UK then you may be eligible to apply for further support as a migrant worker. You would need to complete a PN1 application and send in the following evidence Original ID, copy of employment contract, last 3 months payslips and most recent p60 if you have one, send this evidence and application form into:

EEA Migrant Worker Team
Student Finance England
PO Box 89
Darlington
DL1 9AZ

Thanks.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending