The Student Room Group

Do you eat dinner around the table?

Scroll to see replies

When with my family we always eat dinner together. We often cook it together as well.
When at home with my house-mates we eat in our rooms. Some weekends we eat together though.
For people saying they don't usually eat around the table, will you be doing so for Christmas? :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
When I have my own place, sometimes at the table on my own and sometimes in front of the tv or pc, usually the latter.

But when I lived with my parents...EVERY single night all 4 of us at the table. I'm pretty much not allowed to do my own evening meal unless I have a social event and let them know in advance. It's very much the traditional formal ritual that they rule their lives by with forced conversation. They are very good cooks but at the same time it's often the same quorn/potato/veg variant. And yes, I can't stand it.
Original post by Botticello
When I have my own place, sometimes at the table on my own and sometimes in front of the tv or pc, usually the latter.

But when I lived with my parents...EVERY single night all 4 of us at the table. I'm pretty much not allowed to do my own evening meal unless I have a social event and let them know in advance. It's very much the traditional formal ritual that they rule their lives by with forced conversation. They are very good cooks but at the same time it's often the same quorn/potato/veg variant. And yes, I can't stand it.

This doesn't sound all that bad from where I'm standing, to be honest. Growing up, I was always expected to eat dinner with my family every evening, too, and I can honestly say that since moving out and living on my own, I now miss it like crazy. I used to absolutely love my parents' cooking.
When I'm at my boyfriend's we do. His family are very much dinner time is family time. In my family, because my parents are divorced, we never really have. My dad uses the dining room table as extra storage or the dumping spot where random letters, objects etc. get piled on. At my mum's, the house is so small and she has so much stuff that the dining room table is also another storage area. At uni, I eat at my desk in my room because my flatmate doesn't clean up his mess, spilling sticky drinks and not cleaning up crumbs / grated cheese. I refuse to clean it so I don't use the table.

At Christmas / special occasions, the dining room tables are cleared. Quickly goes back to being how it was though. I think if my parents were still married it would have been more frequent to eat at the table.
As a family we always eat around the kitchen table while watching the news, but if I am home alone, **** that. I will be on my bed watching youtube and will regret it later when I find some chow mein in my duvet
No generally we just sit on sofa with food on laps or on coffee table. We have a dining table however it doesn't get used it is used as a dumping ground for paper and junk. I would prefer to sit at the table however others don't so I don't get to
Reply 47
Usually, but I have claimed our table as my base of operations until my thesis is finished, so maybe not until June now :laugh:

Quick Reply

Latest