The Student Room Group

Who was your worst teacher?

I'm not talking about a teacher that gave you a detention and i'm not talking about a teacher that didn't give you that extra mark to get an A when you were one off the grade boundary.
I'm talking about a teacher who ruined your love for a subject and hence deterred you from taking it.

My predictions as to what subjects are going to come up most is Physics or Chemistry.

Scroll to see replies

My English teacher in year 10 only turned up for a fortnight's worth of lessons at the start of term, and then went awol for the rest of the year.
My Spanish teacher in year 8 (towards the end) put me off taking it for GCSE cos of the way she taught the 'preterite' tense. I chose Mandarin instead!
One of my physics teacher was also quite bad.
Art, funnily enough. She hated that I didn't draw/paint things exactly her way. Lowered my predicted end of year 9 grade to 8a from EP. Jokes on her, I got EP in the end. Didn't take art any further but I do it in spare time.

Doesn't stop there. She became my sixth form tutor in a cruel twist of fate! :eek: Absolutely hated me, would always say mean things/try to publicly humiliate me- things like I'd never get a job/amount to anything (I was undecided about my uni options during profiling). Jokes on her again, I will be doing a degree apprenticeship that will end up paying more than her measly wage lol
In our school we only had 2 physics teachers and my one was male. From yr 10 to yr 11 he's been really touchy and creepily close and would always listen to my answers the the other hands. He also took 3 sixth formers on a date and was known to flirt tons. He once called me to stay in for break and sat real close to ask if i was gunna take it next yr as an a level and that if I did he'd be the one teaching me....jheeze he gave me the creeps so not taking it for a level even though i loved it 😒
Original post by dat.sour.ting
In our school we only had 2 physics teachers and my one was male. From yr 10 to yr 11 he's been really touchy and creepily close and would always listen to my answers the the other hands. He also took 3 sixth formers on a date and was known to flirt tons. He once called me to stay in for break and sat real close to ask if i was gunna take it next yr as an a level and that if I did he'd be the one teaching me....jheeze he gave me the creeps so not taking it for a level even though i loved it 😒

Damn. :O
Original post by luckystars
Art, funnily enough. She hated that I didn't draw/paint things exactly her way. Lowered my predicted end of year 9 grade to 8a from EP. Jokes on her, I got EP in the end. Didn't take art any further but I do it in spare time.

Doesn't stop there. She became my sixth form tutor in a cruel twist of fate! :eek: Absolutely hated me, would always say mean things/try to publicly humiliate me- things like I'd never get a job/amount to anything (I was undecided about my uni options during profiling). Jokes on her again, I will be doing a degree apprenticeship that will end up paying more than her measly wage lol

Haha . Thats sweet karma
I had considered taking Psychology at university way before I started my A-Levels, but the teachers we had for it just sucked the life out of it. Our first teacher left at Christmas, and most of the class hail her for some reason, despite the fact she just read out of the textbook. However, she did make the subject more interactive than our second teacher - she would give out homework multiple times a week (questions on topics covered that week etc.), while our second teacher just read off the PowerPoints he'd made; attending his lessons became a chore, as you were just fed this information and he didn't even stop to go back over anything, and as for homework, he decided against setting 16-mark questions for Paper 1 and 2 topics despite us taking the linear course and not needing prepared for answering 12-markers, the ones he set us instead every three weeks.

I used to enjoy psychology, as I had a genuine interest in it - but now, I'm resigned to just going through the motions of learn, revise, learn, revise. The same goes for geography as well, with my sixth form's ineptitude to get a decent replacement for one of my geog teachers who left, and to stop my other geog teacher ****ging my classmates off and teaching us stuff that isn't in the course we're studying, but I've had an interest in geography for too long now that it could be just sucked out of me like my interest in psychology was.
Reply 8
I have a biology teacher who gives quizzes even before teaching each chapter, and his tests just came 1 day after the related chapters are completed. As a result, he thumped 80% of the students to a fail(fortunately I got 24/30 for both tests- an A grade)
I also have a maths teacher and Putonghua teacher who are described as 'He does not teach anything!' as they only give out worksheets to us without teaching us anything from the textbook!
My politics teacher. He had no idea what he was doing and he only gave us these vague worksheets to do. Everyone flopped on the exam thanks to him.
my physics teacher basically spent the whole time teaching us the subject wrong. we did a mock exam once and she marked everyone's wrong. I got an A got another teacher to mark it turns out it was a C. she clearly didn't know physics. She made us spend most of her lessons copying and with her talking about how she wanted a different job. then in the last 2 weeks before the exam that teacher left and we had a supply try to teach us the entire subject. Honestly I love science but because of my teacher I don't know a single bit of physics
Had two bad teachers, although bad in a different way.

One was a young, inexperienced teacher that I feel wasn't cut out for A level as he basically relied on textbooks too much and didnt know anything off the top of his head and was way too relaxed, he tried to be 'fun' and relatable to the class which just resulted in not much work being done.

My worst was my chemistry teacher, I despise her so much. She was incredibly sarcastic and mean, if you suggested something that was wrong she'd ridicule you infront of the whole class. She would talk so harshly about students that several occasions, someone in the class was reduced to tears. A few parents even complained because students were so unhappy.

I was really into chemistry at GCSE, with an A*, I even visited the royal society of chemistry and was all for getting a degree in it but I guess her teaching style didn't mesh with me, she was focused on making us like highlight notes and make a 'neat' work folder and that's not my style. So after a disappointing but decent grade in my first year, which was actually higher than most of my class she decided to predict my A2 grade to be even lower. She also gave me a pretty bad UCAS subject reference, all my other teachers basically saying I was a delight and her saying I didn't have the mindset to achieve. She broke my resolve through her comments and just general put-downs, I got to the point where I was scared to ask questions in lectures in fear of being mocked. The way she spoke to me made me avoid her. I basically sat in silence in my classes, head down. I remember once I was late to school due to my bus being late, and I decided to just sit out rather than face her because she'd like to make an 'example' of late students. She would throw a students 'bad' work on the floor, she basically told me to my face there was more chance of hell freezing over than me passing.

I don't blame her entirely for my failings in chemistry but I do feel she greatly impacted me more than academically, I was a bright-ish student who loved to ask questions and was engaged in my classes, but after her as a teacher I was so scared of mistakes and being ridiculed that I basically never hazard a guess unless I am sure to be correct. Even a few years on now, at university I feel she's changed my personality irreversibly, like I'm a lot more quiet, reserved and in fear of looking bad than I was before.

She is one of my main motivations to make a success of myself so I can prove her wrong.
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by Oneiropólos
I'm not talking about a teacher that gave you a detention and i'm not talking about a teacher that didn't give you that extra mark to get an A when you were one off the grade boundary.
I'm talking about a teacher who ruined your love for a subject and hence deterred you from taking it.

My predictions as to what subjects are going to come up most is Physics or Chemistry.

My first instinct would be secondary school and sixth form teachers, in which there is only one teacher, but she wasn't the worst. The worst are definitely some of the lecturers at university. What really helps me get into a subject is the most dull monotone lectures imaginable, spoken by someone who sounds like they have yet to experience happiness or excitement just once in their life.

But if I'm going for the biggest kick-in-the-teeth. Psychology teacher in sixth form accused me of plagiarism and didn't mark my work. It wasn't plagiarised. Said that she could "probably" find the essay with a google search. She obviously didn't even f*cking bother to trying and see if it was plagiarised or not because if she did, she would've found nothing. I can't tell if she was too lazy to mark my work, or if she was too lazy to check her assertion. Needless to say, she killed the subject for me. Why the f*ck should I bother spending all this time writing essays if they aren't going to get marked? It was at a time where we had 2-3 essays a week across different subjects, I stopped after school and used lunch breaks to do work, I put in a lot of effort and decided to maybe change writing style up a bit to see if I get more marks. Didn't help that the teacher wasn't there to teach the work the essay was on, either. Still pissed off that she'd accuse me of something so f*cking serious without the damn decency to even follow up her own assertion. I did all the essays because I wanted to, I wanted better grades. If I felt too lazy to do an essay, I just wouldn't do the essay. I wouldn't bloody plagiarise.
Wow, most of the responses are about teachers who were horrible ppl. My teacher was just a retard. Taj the economics teacher who had three businesses before becoming a teacher, which he proudly revealed all went bust. There was one time when he thought someone had pressed the fire alarm (In reality it was just a safety button that shut down all electronics and gas taps as it was a science room) and instead of calling the technician, he proceeds to slam the button repeatedly. Other teachers have literally said to us that he had no idea wtf he was doing. He got sacked and went off to bless another school with his divine wisdom, but not before he got the whole class to fail the first year of GCSE economics. His greatest achievement was acc explaining a theory that he didn't know anything about so badly that a A* Chinese pupil (Not racist but these guys are born smart) got a D...Taj rly was something special.
Reply 14
Had an ICT teacher in year 7 who was a creep, liked to try and look up the girls' skirts by dropping a pen under the table :s-smilie:
Spanish teacher was shite, spent more time talking about her life than teaching. someone complained during a feedback session and she ended up taking leave for 'medical reasons' - so basically she just buggered off. Our replacement teacher didnt teach us ****, and would get annoyed when we didnt know stuff - hated that *****.
My current chemistry teacher does not know how to control a class - have not been paying attention to anything he has said this entire year but at least hes a laugh :smile:
I would like to point out my teacher at primary school. The truth is that she was perfectly prepared for every class (Maybe a little perfectionist and pedantic) - in this field, she was a great teacher. But she was not able to accept my nature. As a child, I was shy and not very talkative. She treated me as the strange girl who is not smart at all. She was presenting me like this towards a whole class.
For many years I had a general problem with studying. Not because I would be stupid. I was just demotivated.
no gcse teachers were bad of mine but my yr 6 teacher ruined my life. he/she told me he hated me and ignored me for 3 weeks straight. once when I had laryngitis when id lost my voice, he wouldn't let me go the toilet until I spoke properly. he also lied to my parents and me and he didn't give me a role in a play- just me- and gave another person two roles. this is just a bit of it🤣🤣
Original post by username3444162

My language teacher in primary who slapped me twice during assembly for being late. You have got no freaking idea how embarrassing it was for a five year old me but I am pretty sure no one saw it. I don't think I told anyone until today haha. Still ashamed of it to this day
I had a geography teacher in high school who made it so boring, I still hate the subject.
There was some bad ones is primary school, but I’m not sure if they were bad for everyone. They generally liked me because I was usually quiet, but I learn best by asking questions and discussing things, and they acted like I was trying to be argumentative every time I said anything.
My year 6 teacher was also not very confident in maths - my favourite subject, and didn’t like that my dad was showing me new things (eg.algebra). She made me think I was a lot worse than I actually was.
Original post by Anonymous
I had a geography teacher in high school who made it so boring, I still hate the subject.
There was some bad ones is primary school, but I’m not sure if they were bad for everyone. They generally liked me because I was usually quiet, but I learn best by asking questions and discussing things, and they acted like I was trying to be argumentative every time I said anything.
My year 6 teacher was also not very confident in maths - my favourite subject, and didn’t like that my dad was showing me new things (eg.algebra). She made me think I was a lot worse than I actually was.

yeah, I think primary School teachers are horrible🤣. with geography, if you hate it, I think just try and make it fun for yourself, al long as you don't get in trouble x

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending