The Student Room Group

How to cope with no friends or girlfriend?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Harold Steptoe
I'm shy so haven't got any friends or girlfriend. I'd consider myself kind but I've little social confidence. Please can you offer some advice.

get friends and a girlfriend.
Original post by Luna Loveboob
Did you know that I'm a Muslim? :wink:

Did you know that I'm a Catholic? :wink:
Original post by unknown_usr
Did you know that I'm a Catholic? :wink:

We should have confession over a cheeky stoning down at the local brothel :wink:
We should have confession over a cheeky stoning down at the local brothel :wink:

Nah what I wanna know is how this conversation got so off-topic lmaoooo. Maybe next time tho :wink:
Nah what I wanna know is how this conversation got so off-topic lmaoooo. Maybe next time tho :wink:

I am a ladyboy looking for a client. Are you interested?
I am a ladyboy looking for a client. Are you interested?

How about no lmao
Reply 26
Do as many things you can in sixth form.. sign up for sports, talk to everyone in your class and be the person you want to be when you start. You can completely change yourself going to a new school (assuming your sixth form isn't joined with your secondary)
wow lmao.

But seriously, try gradually expanding your comfort zone, gradually stepping up social interactions, ect. You'll see a huge improvement - this tactic worked for me, and I was basically hopeless.

OK thanks! I have noticed now, the more I go to the shops on my own, the more comfortable I am with talking to the girls behind the desk.

Original post by Milliejerry
Meetup.com is good - and the advice about making yourself go to it is good to. I am going through divorce after many years and I am not a natural people person. Having made myself join a group I now have three new friends I see regularly.

Do give it a go... it does work... and often there are people there who will feel as you do.

Good luck!!

Thanks!

Original post by Devify
I think it would depend more on how you act because of it.

If you were being all clingy because of it, then yeah, possibly.

If it was just that you wouldn't really be going out with anyone else but her, then probably not.

Oh no I wouldn't be clingy. I think really it would be good because I would value her company more. I realize that I can't have her all the time and that she would have her own life other than me.

Original post by GreenBell
You'll def find friends in Sixth Form and University then. People there are not as childish as school and it's easier to form friends. Just make sure to speak to people often on the first day.

Thanks!
Original post by dannyx
Do as many things you can in sixth form.. sign up for sports, talk to everyone in your class and be the person you want to be when you start. You can completely change yourself going to a new school (assuming your sixth form isn't joined with your secondary)

The sixth form is part of the secondary school but I've had like 10 weeks off so its enough time for me to change.
By a gaming pc
Reply 30
exact same position but gender reverse! I find it so hard..
Original post by Dimki
exact same position but gender reverse! I find it so hard..

Thanks! Great to know that there is girls like me out there!
How?

Why do you have no friends?
Is this the root why you don't have a gf?
How do you boost confidence?

Ask these sort of questions and be realistic not running from facts.
Original post by ckfeister
Why do you have no friends?
Is this the root why you don't have a gf?
How do you boost confidence?

Ask these sort of questions and be realistic not running from facts.

Thanks
Hey thanks for all the replies! I've found some great videos on YouTube which really help, just though I'd mention this here in case someone else is in the same situation!

Thanks again!
Hey thanks for all the replies! I've found some great videos on YouTube which really help, just though I'd mention this here in case someone else is in the same situation!

Thanks again!
What could I do to help build confidence and Social Confidence?

Going into Sixth Form in September.

If I am fortunate enough to find a girl before I make new friends, do you think it would put her off the fact being that I have no friends?

Thanks!

Lift weights and start talking to people around you more
Get one?
You are young. I was shy until the end of 6th form. Then I decided no more. I wasn't going to continue holiding my tongue for fear of what others would think of me.

I had a gap year and forced myself to speak to people, even if I thought it was dumb. Just ask people questions about anything, they love talking about themselves and it means they can do most of the carrying of the conversation. Even if it's just about the work or whatever, even if you know the answer, just ask people questions and throw in a bit of your own conversation, a comment on what they have said. Eventually you will feel more comfortable. You don't have to take a gap year, just start doing it when you start 6th form. Force yourself. You can't be like this forever. Most people are nice and WANT to talk to you. It will take time but you will do it. Now I am super sociable with tons of friends and I love meeting new people in new situations... when before it gave me anxiety and I felt sick. I used to have a blank brain when it came to talking to people becuase I was so socially awkward and anxious. Now talking is 2nd nature. I can't imagine being how I used to be or understand why I had such an issue.
Original post by Anonymous
You are young. I was shy until the end of 6th form. Then I decided no more. I wasn't going to continue holiding my tongue for fear of what others would think of me.

I had a gap year and forced myself to speak to people, even if I thought it was dumb. Just ask people questions about anything, they love talking about themselves and it means they can do most of the carrying of the conversation. Even if it's just about the work or whatever, even if you know the answer, just ask people questions and throw in a bit of your own conversation, a comment on what they have said. Eventually you will feel more comfortable. You don't have to take a gap year, just start doing it when you start 6th form. Force yourself. You can't be like this forever. Most people are nice and WANT to talk to you. It will take time but you will do it. Now I am super sociable with tons of friends and I love meeting new people in new situations... when before it gave me anxiety and I felt sick. I used to have a blank brain when it came to talking to people becuase I was so socially awkward and anxious. Now talking is 2nd nature. I can't imagine being how I used to be or understand why I had such an issue.

Thanks

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending