The Student Room Group
Mappin Building
University of Sheffield
Sheffield

Failed one 3rd year module - will I be allowed to continue to masters?

Hi, I am a engineering student at the University of Sheffield going into my 4th and final year of an integrated masters. I just completed my first august resit and it went badly. Given that I was only allowed to resit the module due to extenuating circumstances I would be very surprised if I was allowed to do so again next year.

I have two more resits to do but am confident I can get roughly 60% in them. Assuming I do pass them, what are the odds that I will be allowed to continue onto the 4th year with one failed module?

My department's progression handbook reads:

Students may proceed from year 3 to year 4 of a MEng course:
(a) if they have passed units to the value of 120 credits in year 3 and have a weighted mean grade of 49.5,

OR

(b) at the discretion of the Examiners*, if they have passed units to the value of 100 or 110 credits in
year 3 and have obtained a weighted mean grade of 49.5 in year 3, and have passed all the modules
which are pre-requisites for year 4 modules.
* This discretion is not automatic and the individual circumstances and performance of the student will
be taken into account in determining the recommendation of the Examiners.

I will almost certainly meet the requirements for b), and my extenuating circumstances were accepted, but I am still not certain if the aforementioned discretion will be granted.

If anyone has any experience with a similar situation I would be grateful for any insight you have.
Hello Saavra,

I have sent you a private message regarding your post.

Best wishes,
Toni

Original post by Saavra
Hi, I am a engineering student at the University of Sheffield going into my 4th and final year of an integrated masters. I just completed my first august resit and it went badly. Given that I was only allowed to resit the module due to extenuating circumstances I would be very surprised if I was allowed to do so again next year.

I have two more resits to do but am confident I can get roughly 60% in them. Assuming I do pass them, what are the odds that I will be allowed to continue onto the 4th year with one failed module?

My department's progression handbook reads:

Students may proceed from year 3 to year 4 of a MEng course:
(a) if they have passed units to the value of 120 credits in year 3 and have a weighted mean grade of 49.5,

OR

(b) at the discretion of the Examiners*, if they have passed units to the value of 100 or 110 credits in
year 3 and have obtained a weighted mean grade of 49.5 in year 3, and have passed all the modules
which are pre-requisites for year 4 modules.
* This discretion is not automatic and the individual circumstances and performance of the student will
be taken into account in determining the recommendation of the Examiners.

I will almost certainly meet the requirements for b), and my extenuating circumstances were accepted, but I am still not certain if the aforementioned discretion will be granted.

If anyone has any experience with a similar situation I would be grateful for any insight you have.
Mappin Building
University of Sheffield
Sheffield

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending