The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

jeans
Reply 2
Original post by Dwarf-Shortage
jeans

Is that why you rarely see them being athletic / in Olympic sports such as athletes, boxing and swimming
Reply 3
I'm Indian and 6 ft 1.

I get all the girls in my community because height matters the most.
Original post by Anonymous
Is that why you rarely see them being athletic / in Olympic sports such as athletes, boxing and swimming

*coughs agenda coughs*
Yes sure these damn lazy Asians with the majority of the world's martial arts focused there and being highly proficient at many sports, including the ones you named
I am 5'8 but all my uncles are over 6(6'6 ish). My dad is over 6'2.
Cause we are. Deal with it.
Just because theyre not good at the sports you list doesnt mean their not good at sports - e.g. china wins the most in the olympics and india is good at cricket and hockey....
genetics + agenda. I am 5 ft 8 ish and indian; my nan is medically speaking a dwarf (4 ft 5 but has been shrinking a lot), yet my cousin's heights range from 4 ft 11 to 6 ft 7.

Weirdly enough asians and africans have similar diets yet due to the vast amount of disease in india / pakistan re: food hygeine, a lot of scientists have a theory that due to loss of nutrients via GI disease, indian /pakistani growth is affected by it.

otherwise just say its down to voodoo
Reply 9
Original post by FaZe Clan
Just because theyre not good at the sports you list doesnt mean their not good at sports - e.g. china wins the most in the olympics and india is good at cricket and hockey....

china and us wins most in Olympics because of their population. Really can't recall a famous Asian sportsman
Paki guys are acc not short..
china and us wins most in Olympics because of their population. Really can't recall a famous Asian sportsman

Sachin Tendulkar
If you're talking about South Asians in particular then the fact is that most of them are not short, the SA in this country have concentrated origins from just a handful of cities/areas in their home country - you don't have an accurate representation of the whole Asian population in general, so you can only make assumptions of Asians from those few areas of their home country. India for example is a huge Asian country but there isn't proportionate emigration from the entire span of India more so Indian migrants come from a few hotspots of which the people may have genetic height similarities making them all seem shorter to you.

South Asians in general are very mixed race people and there is a quite vast array of height variances from one part of India to the other for example, and the same goes for Bangladesh and Pakistan etc. Of course if you check the averages (which aren't completely accurate tbh but do have merit) Asian populations definitely can't compare to Nordic ones like Sweden for example, those people are very tall, but they can compare with the English and Caucasian American population of today.

East Asian countries (not South East Asian e.g Philippines, Malaysia etc.) on the other hand are considerably less mixed race and are for the most part shorter than many other populations across the world. You should hold your horses though, because height increases in East Asia have and are being tracked in the past decade and populations in countries such as Japan and South Korea have experienced increased gains in height throughout the generations, there are even predictions that South Koreans may overtake many western countries in terms of average height.

The reasons for these gains are not clear cut but there have been reasons such as higher quality and more accessibility to nutritious food, advancement in medicine and better hygiene standards decreasing spread of disease stated among others. China is interesting as they have groups that are distinct in Northern China from those in Southern China, there are ethnic groups in Northern China that are very tall (6'1+) on average whilst other ethnic groups in Southern China are some of the shortest in the world. To answer your question in summary: you do not have the data to make the generalisation you did, your observation is not incorrect though, it is your subjective experience of the world around you. Posting on anon as I'm not interested in having a back and forth with any user, be it either malicious or productive, I just want to inform the OP even though I think there was no point in writing this in hindsight as people will see this as quickly forgotten fast-food information which is not wrong of them.
Because their parents are cousins
If you're talking about South Asians in particular then the fact is that most of them are not short, the SA in this country have concentrated origins from just a handful of cities/areas in their home country - you don't have an accurate representation of the whole Asian population in general, so you can only make assumptions of Asians from those few areas of their home country. India for example is a huge Asian country but there isn't proportionate emigration from the entire span of India more so Indian migrants come from a few hotspots of which the people may have genetic height similarities making them all seem shorter to you.

South Asians in general are very mixed race people and there is a quite vast array of height variances from one part of India to the other for example, and the same goes for Bangladesh and Pakistan etc. Of course if you check the averages (which aren't completely accurate tbh but do have merit) Asian populations definitely can't compare to Nordic ones like Sweden for example, those people are very tall, but they can compare with the English and Caucasian American population of today.

East Asian countries (not South East Asian e.g Philippines, Malaysia etc.) on the other hand are considerably less mixed race and are for the most part shorter than many other populations across the world. You should hold your horses though, because height increases in East Asia have and are being tracked in the past decade and populations in countries such as Japan and South Korea have experienced increased gains in height throughout the generations, there are even predictions that South Koreans may overtake many western countries in terms of average height.

The reasons for these gains are not clear cut but there have been reasons such as higher quality and more accessibility to nutritious food, advancement in medicine and better hygiene standards decreasing spread of disease stated among others. China is interesting as they have groups that are distinct in Northern China from those in Southern China, there are ethnic groups in Northern China that are very tall (6'1+) on average whilst other ethnic groups in Southern China are some of the shortest in the world. To answer your question in summary: you do not have the data to make the generalisation you did, your observation is not incorrect though, it is your subjective experience of the world around you. Posting on anon as I'm not interested in having a back and forth with any user, be it either malicious or productive, I just want to inform the OP even though I think there was no point in writing this in hindsight as people will see this as quickly forgotten fast-food information which is not wrong of them.

Yes, the tallest people are Nordics, Western Europeans and those in the Einaric Alps, and many parts in Africa too.

I'm 6'0, and when I went to the north of Pakistan, a lot of males were around my height.

I think all races have the potential to be tall, but because the poorer ones have less food, they don't grow much. But again it could be dude to genetics.
Reply 15
Weak genes
Genetics. They're usually average height or just short.
lool, im 16 and above 6'1 and my dad is 6'4. and most of the people in my family incl cousins are around that height.
It's rare I see these types of male above 6ft for some reason they tend to be shorter than other races like Whites and Blacks. Why is this

If you're gonna say "why is this" at least put a question mark at the end
virat kohli, satchin tandulka, yuvraj singh, ms dhoni...

Latest

Trending

Trending