The Student Room Group

Can I get into Cambridge University

So I have 12 GCSE's A* - C inc. Maths/Eng
I have an AS in Fine Art, but I didn't finish my A levels at college. I then did a UAL Level 3 Diploma in Art - Foundation Studies and completed that, this got me into University in 2016 to study Education, but I only completed semester 1 and left due to financial issues, I got a mixture of 2:2 and 2:1 for my semester 1.

I am starting University again this September 2017 at Goldsmiths University to study Education again, I have this advantage of knowledge and how uni works so I am going to work hard to get a 1st this year or the minimum of a 2:1.
I want to apply to Cambridge University to St Johns college (to study Education), I don't mind starting again year 1-3, but if at all possible I will ask if I can transfer to year 2 (although I doubt it).

As I do not have A levels but will have Knowledge and experience coming from University, will it be possible to apply to Cambridge? It's something I have had my heart on since yr 10 however life just didn't work out for me since then, but now I am on track with everything will it be worth it? And can there be a chance?
I want to study education and then do my PGCE to get into teaching, but I will keep my options open for other career options relating to my degree, I want to also complete a masters or PhD some time in the future, I am really passionate about this subject, so I'm not just applying for the sake of Cambridge and it's name, we all do but I have many other reason I would like to study and attend there.

I have already started my application, I have a reference in place (my director of the course from my previous university) and I will be visiting an open day next month, I have completed one hell of a statement too, all genuine with plenty of experience about teaching, work experience, my degree experience, my wider reading and favourites books and I also speak about possible experiments I would like to conduct relating to key philosophers within education and learning, I think all this really shows my passion and enthusiasm about the subject.

A bit about me - I am British Bangladeshi, aged 20 from London.
What are your thoughts? Is it worth it, or do you think I won't get in?

I just want to add that I am still eligible to fund myself with Studnet Finance England and have my funding left, so that is not an issue.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 1
It's probably best to contact Cambridge directly and explain your circumstances. All I can think of though is how are you going to finance it? I doubt Cambridge will let you skip into 2nd year (again, check with them).

Still, going to tag in @Doonesbury and see what his thoughts are. :h:
Original post by jrmiah
I have an AS in Fine Art, but I didn't finish my A levels at college. I then did a UAL Level 3 Diploma in Art - Foundation Studies and completed that, this got me into University in 2016 to study Education, but I only completed semester 1 and left due to financial issues, I got a mixture of 2:2 and 2:1 for my semester 1.

I am starting University again this September 2017 at Goldsmiths University to study Education again, I have this advantage of knowledge and how uni works so I am going to work hard to get a 1st this year or the minimum of a 2:1.
I want to apply to Cambridge University to St Johns college (to study Education), I don't mind starting again year 1-3, but if at all possible I will ask if I can transfer to year 2 (although I doubt it).

As I do not have A levels but will have Knowledge and experience coming from University, will it be possible to apply to Cambridge? It's something I have had my heart on since yr 10 however life just didn't work out for me since then, but now I am on track with everything will it be worth it? And can there be a chance?
I want to study education and then do my PGCE to get into teaching, but I will keep my options open for other career options relating to my degree, I want to also complete a masters or PhD some time in the future, I am really passionate about this subject, so I'm not just applying for the sake of Cambridge and it's name, we all do but I have many other reason I would like to study and attend there.

I have already started my application, I have a reference in place (my director of the course from my previous university) and I will be visiting an open day next month, I have completed one hell of a statement too, all genuine with plenty of experience about teaching, work experience, my degree experience, my wider reading and favourites books and I also speak about possible experiments I would like to conduct relating to key philosophers within education and learning, I think all this really shows my passion and enthusiasm about the subject.

Sorry, but IMO you simply don't have the academic results to even be considered.
Original post by jrmiah

You have wasted a lot of time, Cambridge does NOT accept applications from people studying at other universities.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Original post by jrmiah

Original post by Airmed
It's probably best to contact Cambridge directly and explain your circumstances. All I can think of though is how are you going to finance it? I doubt Cambridge will let you skip into 2nd year (again, check with them).

Still, going to tag in @Doonesbury and see what his thoughts are. :h:

Thanks for the tag :smile:

Yes, there's a number of problems, and Cambridge's reluctance to take students already studying at a UK university, and the finance problem, are just some of them.

As @RogerOxon said, unfortunately your academics are unlikely to be sufficient.

However if you want an actual Cambridge Admissions Tutor's view go to their thread here:

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4896414&p=73424728&page=13#post73424728

The alternative is to get a first at Goldsmiths and then apply for postgrad at Cambridge.
Original post by jrmiah

Well we can pussy-foot around it, but the bottom line is that you aren't close to having the academics required, Cambridge won't accept a transfer and you don't seem to have the funding left - so no, not for undergrad at least.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending