The Student Room Group

WIthdrawal from course part way through first year

Is it normal practice for a university to personally charge a student a full years fees if they withdraw (or are withdrawn) during their first or second term?
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by StudentParent
Is it normal practice for a university to personally charge a student a full years fees if they withdraw (or are withdrawn) during their first or second term?

Hi StudentParent,

It is always down to the individual university how much they want to charge a student if they withdraw or suspend. We are certain amount we will pay each term for the student. Anything over this would be then down to the student to pay.

Thanks
Erin
Original post by Erin SFE
Hi StudentParent,

It is always down to the individual university how much they want to charge a student if they withdraw or suspend. We are certain amount we will pay each term for the student. Anything over this would be then down to the student to pay.

Thanks
Erin

Thankyou. Is there any way of finding out what a university would normally charge a student if they withdrew from their course just before Xmas (ie in their first term of their first year)
Thankyou. Is there any way of finding out what a university would normally charge a student if they withdrew from their course just before Xmas (ie in their first term of their first year)

Hi StudentParent,

The student would need to speak to the university/college they are looking at attend to see how they would charge.

Thanks
Erin.
Hi StudentParent,

The student would need to speak to the university/college they are looking at attend to see how they would charge.

Thanks
Erin.
its a general question really. Are there any guidelines on what is normal practice or good practice?
its a general question really. Are there any guidelines on what is normal practice or good practice?

Hi StudentParent,

As all universities/colleges may charge different amounts it would really need to be them you speak to. We pay a certain portion of the fees each term which we will still cover if they withdraw from the course but if the provider requests more then this would be down to the student to cover.

Amounts we cover each term are:

Term 1 - 25%
Term 2 - 25%
Term 3 - 50%

Hope this helps.

Thanks
Erin
Hi StudentParent,

As all universities/colleges may charge different amounts it would really need to be them you speak to. We pay a certain portion of the fees each term which we will still cover if they withdraw from the course but if the provider requests more then this would be down to the student to cover.

Amounts we cover each term are:

Term 1 - 25%
Term 2 - 25%
Term 3 - 50%

Hope this helps.

Thanks
Erin
thankyou. Im asking as our son was withdrawn/withdrew from his course in November (he was entitled to student finance). The college have successfully sued him for the fees for the whole year (minus what student finance have covered betwern Sept-Nov). As a student who is on a low enough income to be entitled to student income it defies logic that the college think he can pay this. Apparently its in their contract that any student who withdraws from their course after two weeks is liable for the full years fees. I cant name the college publicly as this is an open forum but just wanted to know how many colleges or universities have such onerous contracts (this college call it the Learner Agreement) that students are told they must sign if they want to take up their place
thankyou. Im asking as our son was withdrawn/withdrew from his course in November (he was entitled to student finance). The college have successfully sued him for the fees for the whole year (minus what student finance have covered betwern Sept-Nov). As a student who is on a low enough income to be entitled to student income it defies logic that the college think he can pay this. Apparently its in their contract that any student who withdraws from their course after two weeks is liable for the full years fees. I cant name the college publicly as this is an open forum but just wanted to know how many colleges or universities have such onerous contracts (this college call it the Learner Agreement) that students are told they must sign if they want to take up their place

Hi StudentParent,

Yes this is something the university/college can do if they wish. Unfortunately it would be something you would need to discuss with them.

Thanks Erin

You could argue that it he left on grounds of unsatisfactory support or teaching. It's not common practice to charge for the remainder of the year if someone drops out at university, but could be different at college.

Either way it sucks and I'm sorry that this has happened.
Original post by Roving Fish
You could argue that it he left on grounds of unsatisfactory support or teaching. It's not common practice to charge for the remainder of the year if someone drops out at university, but could be different at college.

Either way it sucks and I'm sorry that this has happened.

Thankyou. I wondered if it was common practice and couldn't find any figures or tables etc on which colleges and universities do this so it was really difficult to decide if the college are being particularly 'sharp'. Its interesting that it isn't common practice and I wonder how this college are allowed to do this. Our son has been held to the contract in court and now has a ccj for £7,500 against him. Its been a horrible experience. Even if a student leaves of their own accord - for any reason (and I think there are probably lots of reasons why students have to withdraw) it seems really harsh for the student to be liable for the entire years fees. We did try to argue (unsuccessfully) that the college didn't support him enough as he had declared health issues at enrolment but the judge still decided in the college's favour. Our argument became quite complicated (he wanted to leave his course but his tutor said he could maybe change to another course and it all fell apart a bit - the judge and college said he didnt do enough for it to not be construed as withdrawing). Now he has been sued, all we can do is ask for him to pay in instalments. Its going to come from his own personal income (JSA) rather than on the same terms as it would if it was student finance. We were in the process of going through the complaints procedure a week before it went to court with the governors and in response the college did offer for him to pay some fees plus their legal costs (£1,500) We questioned their legal costs being added to the bill as we felt it was unnecessary but this was not resolved as the governor we were dealing with went on holiday (1st week of August) and we could not get any answers from the college. A week after waiting for the governor to get back from holiday and reply, it went to court as originally scheduled by the college and our son was hammered for the full original request plus costs plus interest (which comes to £7,500). I wish the Governor who had been dealing with it had either resolved our complaint before he went on holiday or had passed it to another governor who could help answer questions then it may not have even gone to court. I can see that judges have to apply the law and if a student has signed a contract, and broken it by withdrawing then legally they are liable. This contract just seems extrememly harsh and a bit 'sharp'.
Thankyou. I wondered if it was common practice and couldn't find any figures or tables etc on which colleges and universities do this so it was really difficult to decide if the college are being particularly 'sharp'. Its interesting that it isn't common practice and I wonder how this college are allowed to do this. Our son has been held to the contract in court and now has a ccj for £7,500 against him. Its been a horrible experience. Even if a student leaves of their own accord - for any reason (and I think there are probably lots of reasons why students have to withdraw) it seems really harsh for the student to be liable for the entire years fees. We did try to argue (unsuccessfully) that the college didn't support him enough as he had declared health issues at enrolment but the judge still decided in the college's favour. Our argument became quite complicated (he wanted to leave his course but his tutor said he could maybe change to another course and it all fell apart a bit - the judge and college said he didnt do enough for it to not be construed as withdrawing). Now he has been sued, all we can do is ask for him to pay in instalments. Its going to come from his own personal income (JSA) rather than on the same terms as it would if it was student finance. We were in the process of going through the complaints procedure a week before it went to court with the governors and in response the college did offer for him to pay some fees plus their legal costs (£1,500) We questioned their legal costs being added to the bill as we felt it was unnecessary but this was not resolved as the governor we were dealing with went on holiday (1st week of August) and we could not get any answers from the college. A week after waiting for the governor to get back from holiday and reply, it went to court as originally scheduled by the college and our son was hammered for the full original request plus costs plus interest (which comes to £7,500). I wish the Governor who had been dealing with it had either resolved our complaint before he went on holiday or had passed it to another governor who could help answer questions then it may not have even gone to court. I can see that judges have to apply the law and if a student has signed a contract, and broken it by withdrawing then legally they are liable. This contract just seems extrememly harsh and a bit 'sharp'.

I would write to your MP and also appeal the ruling.

It seems like they instructed a lawyer to recover the fees and so they've done just that. If you put the above post together with evidence and appeal that the cost is brought down, they might listen.

I would also go to the local press about it.
I would write to your MP and also appeal the ruling.

It seems like they instructed a lawyer to recover the fees and so they've done just that. If you put the above post together with evidence and appeal that the cost is brought down, they might listen.

I would also go to the local press about it.

I asked a local solicitor about organising an appeal but he said that we can only appeal if the judge didn't follow correct procedure and that even if permission was granted for an appeal, it could cost us up to £2,000. We just don't have that sort of money. I did wonder if the governors would be in a position to bring the entire cost down if we wrote to them and asked them to consider it - or if its too late now its a ccj.
I asked a local solicitor about organising an appeal but he said that we can only appeal if the judge didn't follow correct procedure and that even if permission was granted for an appeal, it could cost us up to £2,000. We just don't have that sort of money. I did wonder if the governors would be in a position to bring the entire cost down if we wrote to them and asked them to consider it - or if its too late now its a ccj.

You may be able to appeal to the governors. It's utterly unfair to put someone that young in a position of debt and a CCJ - which will screw their credit up.

Write to the governors and if they're not cooperating, local media. :smile:
You may be able to appeal to the governors. It's utterly unfair to put someone that young in a position of debt and a CCJ - which will screw their credit up.

Write to the governors and if they're not cooperating, local media. :smile:

Thankyou. I have just emailed the Governors.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending