The Student Room Group
University College London, University of London
University College London
London

Sent application for UCL accomodation after deadline

Hey, as the title says, i sent in my aplication slightly after the deadline.

Haven't received an offer yet, what are my chances? Should I book a room in private accommodation ASAP?

Thanks
Reply 1
Hello! I am urgently looking for someone to takeover my contract at Stapleton House, Holloway in London. It’s an ensuite room £232pw with all bills included. It’s a 1 min walk from Holloway Road underground station and 15 min from UCL. Please message me if you are interested.
University College London, University of London
University College London
London
Original post by singismund
Hey, as the title says, i sent in my aplication slightly after the deadline.

Haven't received an offer yet, what are my chances? Should I book a room in private accommodation ASAP?

Thanks

How long after the deadline?
UCL was my insurance so I applied on results day and emailed the residences dept and they said if there was space I would hear late August / early September. (I haven't heard anything so am living at home as I live in London anyway, just quite far out.)
They can't guarantee accommodation to anyone who applied after the deadline, and if you haven't heard yet it's unlikely you will get a place. (You may later in term if people drop out.)
I'd advise that if you don't live in London currently, then book private accommodation ASAP!
It might be worth logging into the residences application page and see if it still says pending? (Ie you defo don't have anywhere but you're on the waiting list.)
My friend who applied before the deadline has actually already been told when to move in and hall-specific events etc so most accommodation seems to have been allocated.
But yes - if your family aren't in London book private stuff ASAP!!
Good luck xxx
Reply 3
i'm in the same boat. Hoping to smooth talk some of the staff on enrolment day. I live in london so it isn't a HUGE deal breaker if i don't get accommodation immediately but i really cba to travel 1 and a half hours to and from uni everyday.

EDIT: Noob question, even though i missed the deadline do i still have a chance for the intercollegiate halls or nah? On the UoL website, it says applications for those rooms won't be assessed on a 1st come 1st serve basis.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Jordamuk
i'm in the same boat. Hoping to smooth talk some of the staff on enrolment day. I live in london so it isn't a HUGE deal breaker if i don't get accommodation immediately but i really cba to travel 1 and a half hours to and from uni everyday.

EDIT: Noob question, even though i missed the deadline do i still have a chance for the intercollegiate halls or nah? On the UoL website, it says applications for those rooms won't be assessed on a 1st come 1st serve basis.

When I joined the waiting list I was only able to apply for intercollegiate and student houses. So it's still done by waiting list, but being intercollegiate it's not just UCL's waiting list, so that might be what they mean.
Not sure how the smooth talking will work considering they manage it all online, but good luck to you 😂
Basically I get the impression that if you're on the waiting list you may or may not get halls at some point during / after first term when people have dropped out of their courses.
Urgently looking for someone to take over my contract at Magenta House. Great location at 260 a week. its a bronze ensuite and the building has a free gym for tenants. Check out their website www.iqstudentaccommodation.com.
Reply 6
Original post by StealingThunder
When I joined the waiting list I was only able to apply for intercollegiate and student houses. So it's still done by waiting list, but being intercollegiate it's not just UCL's waiting list, so that might be what they mean.
Not sure how the smooth talking will work considering they manage it all online, but good luck to you 😂
Basically I get the impression that if you're on the waiting list you may or may not get halls at some point during / after first term when people have dropped out of their courses.

Hi how did it work out for you? I'm in the same boat right now? Any advice? I live in London but its very far out for me?
Original post by tnk191
Hi how did it work out for you? I'm in the same boat right now? Any advice? I live in London but its very far out for me?

Well I spent the first few nights in a hotel because I thought I wouldn't cope with freshers week otherwise. Then I submitted an application in the second round (i.e. for the rooms that had been allocated but no one moved into), I refreshed the page up until the moment it opened so that my application would be near the front of the queue so to speak. By first of October I had a room to move into. But I did put that I got panic attacks on public transport on the form so I don't know how much that affected my application. (And I had my prescription of anxiety meds to prove it if asked, it wasn't just a ruse.)
I knew that I couldn't cope with the commuting because between my anxiety, dyslexia / dyspraxia, and 24 contact hr week. But if you're on a course with few contact hours or you're a seasoned commuter it is doable living at home. A lot of my friends commute (on my course so same contact hours) and they didn't feel they'd missed out on anything.
If you have any grounds to put on your application that your uni work would suffer if you didn't receive accommodation close by, then do put it on the application. You can pressure residences to a certain degree.
Other than that there are charities if you fall into any vulnerable groups, like LGBT housing, or I looked at a women's charity that made affordable housing for female students, or BAME charities.
Best of luck to you, I'm sure things will be fine, UCL don't want homeless students or people struggling and dropping out. xxx

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending