The Student Room Group

Unremarkable ventures

(edited 5 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Subbed at Odinspeed~ :h:
Omg I can't believe you tagged me :O cos that means you've finally shown a sine of acknowledging my existence! What progress(ion)! :heart:
Original post by Sonechka
Omg I can't believe you tagged me :O cos that means you've finally shown a sine of acknowledging my existence! What progress(ion)! :heart:

did you ask me to tag you just so you could make that horrifying pun
Original post by _gcx
did you ask me to tag you just so you could make that horrifying pun

1 :wink:
Original post by _gcx

Resources

Spoiler

You have Quora on that list but you don't have Reddit. :confused:
Original post by num.7
You have Quora on that list but you don't have Reddit. :confused:

Yeah I suppose there's /r/6thform but I can't really think of any other useful subs but I'll add it when I get to it. Quora is actually quite good for maths though it does attract some particularly low quality answers.
Original post by _gcx
Yeah I suppose there's /r/6thform but I can't really think of any other useful subs but I'll add it when I get to it. Quora is actually quite good for maths though it does attract some particularly low quality answers.

/r/math, no?

By the way, why do you have a passion for maths?
Original post by num.7
/r/math, no?

i have never actually used /r/math so idk how useful it is.

I find the subject legitimately interesting and I enjoy it a great deal. Maths is a subject like no other in many ways. Contained with it are some of the most beautiful and elegant one can observe.
Reply 9
Original post by num.7
/r/math, no?

What is TSR's obsession with leddit.

Original post by _gcx
Hi there! My name's George and I'm a student going into year 12 with a particular interest in maths. I thought I'd jump on the current trend of these threads and create my own. :h: I created two GYGs previously but they died due to lack of interest in my part. Hopefully this will not be subject to a similar fate.

note: this OP is really unfinished

Boring things

Spoiler

My interests within mathematics

Spoiler

To do

Spoiler

Aspirations

Spoiler

Resources

Spoiler

Anything that's not maths?

Spoiler

people who wanted me to tag them,

Spoiler

It's a shame you don't want to do FP2, where you actually do group theory and number theory (mod arithmetic), fermat's little <3. I'm actually looking forward to it. Nice way to end A Level Further maths - actually doing fun stuff. I'm just not 100% sure if my school offer it (they really should).

I was scrolling through what's in cambridge course and found the lecture notes for IA groups. The first chapter is surprisingly quite accessible. As I got towards the end of the first chapter, I just got confused and left it there, Past the first chapter, I don't know what the **** is going on . But I like the way it sets out everything and proves results immediately and is quite concise and dense. If you want to get a grip on group theory (and non-applied modular arithmetic), I would recommend the first 80% of the first chapter on that link. You've given a lot of resources, so I feel as if I have to give one to you.

The prospect of academia never really appealed to me. But maybe that'll change.

Good luck with your hopefully somewhat remarkable ventures.

Spoiler

Original post by Eulogy
What is TSR's obsession with leddit.

It's a shame you don't want to do FP2, where you actually do group theory and number theory (mod arithmetic), fermat's little <3. I'm actually looking forward to it. Nice way to end A Level Further maths - actually doing fun stuff. I'm just not 100% sure if my school offer it (they really should).

I was scrolling through what's in cambridge course and found the lecture notes for IA groups. The first chapter is surprisingly quite accessible. As I got towards the end of the first chapter, I just got confused and left it there, Past the first chapter, I don't know what the **** is going on . But I like the way it sets out everything and proves results immediately and is quite concise and dense. If you want to get a grip on group theory (and non-applied modular arithmetic), I would recommend the first 80% of the first chapter on that link. You've given a lot of resources, so I feel as if I have to give one to you.

The prospect of academia never really appealed to me. But maybe that'll change.

Good luck with your hopefully somewhat remarkable ventures.

Spoiler

I doubt that my school will offer FP2. That's fair enough I suppose, though, as it comprises almost solely new content, and hence would be intimidating for schools to teach, preferring the more familiar content of FM1/FS1 etc., unless a school previously taught OCR MEI I suppose. It would be a pain in the arse to convince my school to enter me for FP2, so if I end up doing FP1/FM1 I wouldn't be too fussed, though I probably will be learning the content.

I've had a brief skim over those notes and I do very much appreciate the inclusion of proofs. Not sure if I've really talked about it here, but the lack of rigour and proof in A-level/GCSE mathematics really grinds my gears because it encourages mindless computation and memorisation as opposed to actual maths. Yeah I'll be working on the resource list a bit more when more pop to mind.

Academia is the only thing that I can envisage doing right now but that may well change through the course of a-level/uni. Thank you, good luck in yours too :h:

Yeah I kind of abandoned compsci. I was originally shooting for a maths and compsci degree, but I found myself becoming more interested in maths. Learning to program was too slow-paced for me, and I ended up losing interest unfortunately.
Update 1 (I guess?)

Tomorrow is enrolment day, and I can imagine my chemistry and physics teachers both being particularly disappointed that I didn't get an A* in their respective subjects, that only hit me recently lol. I also failed to do any further reading in physics as I planned to, so I can expect an unforgiving lecture. At least I'm pretty set on my options now, unless I have a sudden revelation, or I'm suddenly told that I can take RS/philsophy at a partner school despite no contact in regards to that for 8 months or so.

Now the slightly less (or immensely more, depending on how you're inclined) boring stuff,

Differential Equations

Spoiler

Fourier series'

Spoiler

tagging people who might be vaguely interested,

Spoiler

You're passion for maths is amazing. We're taking the same A levels apart from history swapped with chemistry for me. Could you tag me in your future posts? I'm looking forward to following :smile:
Original post by Tormund
You're passion for maths is amazing. We're taking the same A levels apart from history swapped with chemistry for me. Could you tag me in your future posts? I'm looking forward to following :smile:

I was originally going to take maths, further maths, physics and chemistry, but seeing as I got nearly full UMS in history, I was compelled to take it at A-level. I do hope that it's not a boring slog however. I can always swap to chemistry if it's too boring. Yup, sure! :h:
(edited 6 years ago)
Update 2

Not a productive day at all by any means. I finally confirmed my options, so I'm definitely doing maths, further maths, physics and history. I should find what units I'm doing for further maths and history shortly into the term. I seem to remember Nazi Germany and Ireland with history, but the further maths units were not decided the last I spoke with my teacher, Let's just hope that it's a tolerable combination. I was originally planning to do RS as my fourth subject, so I put it down back in like, February, but I received no contact in regards to it since then. Apparently the partner school didn't get enough students to run it, but they didn't actually tell me until I went to finalise my choices. Loving the organisation on the part of my school :rofl: In regards to work, I did quite little.

Maths

Spoiler

And that's pretty much it. Briefly looked over the physics spec just to say that I have actually looked at some physics. I also need to actually finish the OP at some point.

tags,

Spoiler

Original post by _gcx
Update 2

Not a productive day at all by any means. I finally confirmed my options, so I'm definitely doing maths, further maths, physics and history. I should find what units I'm doing for further maths and history shortly into the term. I seem to remember Nazi Germany and Ireland with history, but the further maths units were not decided the last I spoke with my teacher, Let's just hope that it's a tolerable combination. I was originally planning to do RS as my fourth subject, so I put it down back in like, February, but I received no contact in regards to it since then. Apparently the partner school didn't get enough students to run it, but they didn't actually tell me until I went to finalise my choices. Loving the organisation on the part of my school :rofl: In regards to work, I did quite little.

Maths

Spoiler

And that's pretty much it. Briefly looked over the physics spec just to say that I have actually looked at some physics. I also need to actually finish the OP at some point.

tags,

Spoiler

You've done so much work for maths, it's really making me feel inadequate. I got my timetable today though so I know when my frees are so perhaps I can somewhat get caught up :wink:

Your post made me realise that this emoticon :rofl: wasn't someone drinking coffee. I feel so stupid.:redface:
Original post by Tormund
You've done so much work for maths, it's really making me feel inadequate. I got my timetable today though so I know when my frees are so perhaps I can somewhat get caught up :wink:

Your post made me realise that this emoticon :rofl: wasn't someone drinking coffee. I feel so stupid.:redface:

It's just because I read ahead in my free time, because in the end maths is a hobby of mine. That's why I've read so far ahead, it doesn't really reflect my ability. I don't see how :rofl: could possibly look like a person drinking coffee but ok :rofl: I have done absolutely zilch today so I won't be posting an update today. Probably tomorrow after my first day.
I've been working on FP1 notes/a guide (old FP3) with the intention on putting them (though they're not done yet) on here so do let me know if you'd be interested, similar to what I would've done if that guide idea passed in f31 a few weeks ago. I'll just need to ensure that they're actually useful beforehand lol. I probably should be spending my time elsewhere but oh well, I don't really have much work to do yet, and I thought I'd make myself useful. If people find it useful I'll make more, for the compulsory core unit. A full update will come when I can be bothered.

Tagging people who I think are doing further maths

Spoiler

Original post by _gcx
I've been working on FP1 notes/a guide (old FP3) with the intention on putting them (though they're not done yet) on here so do let me know if you'd be interested, similar to what I would've done if that guide idea passed in f31 a few weeks ago. I'll just need to ensure that they're actually useful beforehand lol. I probably should be spending my time elsewhere but oh well, I don't really have much work to do yet, and I thought I'd make myself useful. If people find it useful I'll make more, for the compulsory core unit. A full update will come when I can be bothered.

Tagging people who I think are doing further maths

Spoiler

Yay, nice to see you have a thread! (They're really becoming like a thing this year, aren't they?) And yes, please add me to your tag list, it'll make me feel better about spamming you with daily posts :tongue:
Original post by DeepInTheMeadow
Yay, nice to see you have a thread! (They're really becoming like a thing this year, aren't they?) And yes, please add me to your tag list, it'll make me feel better about spamming you with daily posts :tongue:

Yeah, my previous two attempts were really too dry for me to really keep up. I didn't end up doing nearly as much revision as I imagined that I'd do, and that shows in the sciences, but it wasn't too bad for cramming. I shall! I might start writing an update now though admittedly I've been neglectful this weekend.

Quick Reply

Latest