The Student Room Group

Has anyone here spent a year abroad studying?

During summer I was speaking to a fellow student who had just spent a year overseas studying via our university (we go to the same place). I am considering doing this next year, has anyone here ever done it?
Hi!

I currently live and study in Paris full-time! I've really enjoyed it so far (not been here long though)... would definitely recommend a year abroad!
Reply 2
Original post by Paracosm
Hi!

I currently live and study in Paris full-time! I've really enjoyed it so far (not been here long though)... would definitely recommend a year abroad!

Awesome. I am just unsure as to how funding will work and such and credits. I will choose the stream where it counts in your degree.
Hey!

I did my second year of uni in Australia and have just finished a semester studying in China on a separate programme; I loved both immensely! 100% would recommend. :h:
Reply 4
Original post by dropbears
Hey!

I did my second year of uni in Australia and have just finished a semester studying in China on a separate programme; I loved both immensely! 100% would recommend. :h:

Awesome! Our situations will be very different then, but how did you handle the finances and such?
Original post by TitanCream
Awesome! Our situations will be very different then, but how did you handle the finances and such?

A mixture of savings (I lived very frugally in first year and commuted to uni) and student finance (which is higher than usual if you're studying abroad). Australia's cost of living is seriously high though; my rent was about £200/week and that ate the majority of my funds. For China, I was on a scholarship programme including a small living allowance, but things are beautifully cheap, so my own money went a very long way! So it really depends on where you're looking at going. :smile:

If you're looking at studying at a European uni on the Erasmus programme though, you're also likely to get additional Erasmus grants on top of student finance :biggrin:
Reply 6
A mixture of savings (I lived very frugally in first year and commuted to uni) and student finance (which is higher than usual if you're studying abroad). Australia's cost of living is seriously high though; my rent was about £200/week and that ate the majority of my funds. For China, I was on a scholarship programme including a small living allowance, but things are beautifully cheap, so my own money went a very long way! So it really depends on where you're looking at going. :smile:

If you're looking at studying at a European uni on the Erasmus programme though, you're also likely to get additional Erasmus grants on top of student finance :biggrin:

The only issue is I am more drawn to outside of Europe as I really want an experience I couldn't ordinarily have!
The only issue is I am more drawn to outside of Europe as I really want an experience I couldn't ordinarily have!

I see! :tongue: Which countries were you thinking? I only had a narrow pool of unis to choose from in the first place, as my course needed to match second year in the UK because I was doing it for course credit. The host unis sometimes have an estimated cost for exchange students (my uni in Australia did), so that can help with planning.
Also look if your home uni has any grants or bursaries available to study abroad students! Some do :smile:
Ooh, and study abroad fairs at your UK uni are the best way of finding out what there is for you, plus heaps of tips! Mine do theirs at the end of October usually :smile:
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 8
I see! :tongue: Which countries were you thinking? I only had a narrow pool of unis to choose from in the first place, as my course needed to match second year in the UK because I was doing it for course credit. The host unis sometimes have an estimated cost for exchange students (my uni in Australia did), so that can help with planning.
Also look if your home uni has any grants or bursaries available to study abroad students! Some do :smile:
Ooh, and study abroad fairs at your UK uni are the best way of finding out what there is for you, plus heaps of tips! Mine do theirs at the end of October usually :smile:

Hi there! Well, I took a small look today and was leaning towards Canada but I think I may go for Norway!
Reply 9
Hi there! Well, I took a small look today and was leaning towards Canada but I think I may go for Norway!

Hi! Did you ever end up going?
Reply 10
Original post by Wan1a
Hi! Did you ever end up going?

+1

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending