The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by infairverona
Even if you believe that, going to lectures does not automatically equate to 'hard work and effort'. Some of my friends went to lectures and sat on Facebook the whole time anyway, being physically present means nothing. If you put in the work in a way that you know suits you and works well for you then it doesn't matter IMO.

You do realize I'm on your side right
Original post by _Steve
You do realize I'm on your side right

Yeah just thought it was another important point to make. I had friends who were always holier than thou about the fact that I never showed up to lectures but still did better than them, because I spent the time of lectures reading by myself and actually doing work whereas they felt superior about the fact they diligently went to a lecture hall to sit on Facebook for 2 hours. You pay to get a degree at the end of the day, how you work and how you get that degree is completely up to you. Teachers/lecturers are always going to be stroppy about students who do well without showing up because they can't bear the thought that someone might be able to teach themselves just as well, if not better, than they would be taught by that teacher/lecturer.
Original post by infairverona
Why was this response necessary? .......... I got an international award for an essay I wrote for a class where I attended 1 seminar out of 12. Don't be so patronising.

Bully for you. :smile:

Try pulling your stunt on a STEM course and see where it would get you.

Yup. you said it. People do not all learn, work or perform in the same way. For example, you chose to interpret my response as a personal and patronising attack. One, of course, has freedom to interpret my opinion in any way deemed fit. Just as I have the freedom to express whatever opinion I want.

Polite advice: Read the OP's question fully next time.

How bad is missing lectures? ALL ASPECTS.

You can choose to interpret the last two sentences any way you like. I would not have it any other way.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 23
Depends on the uni, course and module. For instance I've missed the majority of my lectures; in the second term of first and second year especially I barely attended, but I'm one of the better students on my course, Maths. But I can't speak for what English or Engineering or whatever are like. Hell, I can't speak for what Maths is like except at my university really.
It all depends on the individual and how they learn. If you're going to sit at home and do nothing instead of going to lectures, it probably won't work out well. But if you spend the time you'd spend commuting and being in the lecture actually doing something productive, you'll do fine. Just remember that some points may be discussed in lectures and then not subsequently added onto slides that are put online.
Original post by uberteknik
Why would you miss lectures?

Why are you at university?
Why do you want a degree?
Why do you want to jeopardise your studies?
Why do you want to waste your opportunity and money?
Why are you still behaving like a petulant teenager?

Your comment is petulant to be honest, at least allow the OP justify his reasoning for missing lectures.

I didn't attend every lecture, predominately because I felt the time would be better spent doing independent research, or catching up with work to meet looming deadlines. Some people have a tendency to augment issues on here and seriously blow them out of proportion, chill!
Why would you miss lectures?

Why are you at university?
Why do you want a degree?
Why do you want to jeopardise your studies?
Why do you want to waste your opportunity and money?
Why are you still behaving like a petulant teenager?

why are you a study helper?
Original post by King Leonidas
Your comment is petulant to be honest, at least allow the OP justify his reasoning for missing lectures.

I didn't attend every lecture, predominately because I felt the time would be better spent doing independent research, or catching up with work to meet looming deadlines. Some people have a tendency to augment issues on here and seriously blow them out of proportion, chill!

The poster who responded to me attacked first lol.

The OP is anonymous.
The poster who responded to me attacked first lol.

The OP is anonymous.

Huh?

You're the second comment, how did he attack first?
Original post by DYoverDX
why are you a study helper?

Something to do with 2000+ threads answered on the physics and engineering forums.
Something to do with 2000+ threads answered on the physics and engineering forums.

Wow. Can you give me advice on A level physics?
Original post by King Leonidas
Huh?

You're the second comment, how did he attack first?

OP asked for 'all aspects'.

My first comment was a general rhetorical response since the OP chooses to be anonymous.

My second response was to a different poster who chose to interpret my response as patronising.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by DYoverDX
Wow. Can you give me advice on A level physics?

Post in the physics sub-forum and I will answer best I can. :smile:
There's no set answer to this question. Sometimes it's a bad idea and sometimes it's the best option. No one can really definitively answer this except you - you need to work it out based on how good you are the the course, whether you will have the necessary resources to compensate (such as good quality lecture notes), whether you will have the motivation to self-study enough, etc. If in doubt go to the lectures, at least until you're more well-informed.

I don't go to any lectures but I did go to the first ones of each module, just to have an idea of the structure of the module/assignments/resources and stuff. That was more than enough in my case.
I would usually look over notes before class and see whether I understood it or not and if I did I wouldn't go. But I almost flopped a few exams because I got real lazy in final year.
I mean for 9k a year you might as well go
I came top of my class and missed a lot.

You just need to work hard and know what/how to study. I still put the hours in.
This is an old thread but..

Pretty sure hardly anyone gets 100% attendance at uni (apart from me in 1st and 3rd year as I'm an absolute geek) and missing the odd lecture isn't a problem, just like if you missed some school from time to time. But if you miss too much you fall behind, and might find that you struggle with assignments and exams at the end of the year.
Locking this as the thread is over a year old.

Latest

Trending

Trending