The Student Room Group

Resit without residence troubles

Hi

I am a mature student and i took my first ever exam at the end of my first year of university, I panicked and left early and of course failed. I get bad anxiety. Then the resit I also failed but had mitigating circumstances due to my dad having a bad case of cancer and my anxiety which naturally was made worse. I was doing a dual honors and got a 2.1 in the first subject and a 2.2 for the othet half but his exam was 100% if the particular module. My question is the exam board have said I have to resit without residence next june. But I find this out when I am supposed to move into my house I have signed a contract for. Without student finance I just cant do that. I put a case forward to my department to see if I could continue on the subject I got 2.1 for but am told this unlikely and am awaiting a decision. What could be my options? Without student finance I am going to be in so much trouble. I thought about clearing but would rather not start from the beginning and my university is ranked much much higher than the clearings available and I feel like I shouldnt have to do that.
Hi Whackademic,

I'm really sorry to hear of the issues that you have had. Funding entitlement depends on the nature of the resit and the length of study. Initially if you discuss this with your University, if they confirm that you can continue on and are eligible for Student Finance. If you have previously been funded for another course or have completed resits before this may affect your eligibility. I would recommend sending in evidence of compelling personal reasons. More information can be found here: http://www.slc-apps.co.uk/exchange/issue01/previous-study-rules-explained.html

Thanks,

Gerard
Reply 2
Hi Gerard thanks for the reply they are saying no other option except resit without residence. This is has destroyed me. My dad has cancer and lives in northampton but i can not live with him i would have to live on my mums farm in devon. I have that evidence and can provide evidence of my anxiety as i was diagnosed with it years ago. What could be available for my without residence time period? I will be in trouble without funding as will be forced to default on my housing contract
Reply 3
Original post by Gerard SFE
Hi Whackademic,

I'm really sorry to hear of the issues that you have had. Funding entitlement depends on the nature of the resit and the length of study. Initially if you discuss this with your University, if they confirm that you can continue on and are eligible for Student Finance. If you have previously been funded for another course or have completed resits before this may affect your eligibility. I would recommend sending in evidence of compelling personal reasons. More information can be found here: http://www.slc-apps.co.uk/exchange/issue01/previous-study-rules-explained.html

Thanks,

Gerard

Hi Gerard thanks for the reply they are saying no other option except resit without residence. This is has destroyed me. My dad has cancer and lives in northampton but i can not live with him i would have to live on my mums farm in devon and wont be able to afford to visit him on the train. I would struggle to work atm too due to all the stress the uni have caused me, finding out all of this info a week before term. I have that evidence and can provide evidence of my anxiety as i was diagnosed with it years ago. What could be available for my without residence time period? I will be in trouble without funding as will be forced to default on my housing contract and already owe people money.
Original post by Whackademic
Hi Gerard thanks for the reply they are saying no other option except resit without residence. This is has destroyed me. My dad has cancer and lives in northampton but i can not live with him i would have to live on my mums farm in devon and wont be able to afford to visit him on the train. I would struggle to work atm too due to all the stress the uni have caused me, finding out all of this info a week before term. I have that evidence and can provide evidence of my anxiety as i was diagnosed with it years ago. What could be available for my without residence time period? I will be in trouble without funding as will be forced to default on my housing contract and already owe people money.

Hi Whackademic,

Sorry to hear about the issues you're having. If the university are offering no other option and you are subsequently not registered as being in attendance you will not entitled to support for the academic year.

Regards,

Stuart

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending