The Student Room Group

Student finance eligibility

I went to University to study History 10 years ago, I dropped out after completing my first year as I had very bad depression, I now would like to go back to University to start studying History again but would I receive funding even though I completed year 1?
Original post by Charlotte..T..
I went to University to study History 10 years ago, I dropped out after completing my first year as I had very bad depression, I now would like to go back to University to start studying History again but would I receive funding even though I completed year 1?

Yes

You get degree length +1 gift year funding.

You have used the gift year, so you still have a full degrees worth of funding remaining.

You could also try and get the years funding you completed, disregarded due to the depression. Make sure you are ready to return.
^

Which university did you study at?

No Matter your age I think university can still add more to your qualifications.
Original post by 999tigger
Yes

You get degree length +1 gift year funding.

You have used the gift year, so you still have a full degrees worth of funding remaining.

You could also try and get the years funding you completed, disregarded due to the depression. Make sure you are ready to return.

Thank you, I didn't realise you get a gift year, I started my second year but left before Christmas, so one term, do you think that would count as my gift year?

I will definitely look into whether I could potentially get my previous year disregarded.
Thank you, I didn't realise you get a gift year, I started my second year but left before Christmas, so one term, do you think that would count as my gift year?

I will definitely look into whether I could potentially get my previous year disregarded.

That changes things. Even if you start by one day then that accesses funding and your current status is degree-1.

You have 2 options.

1. Seek a transfer of credits and start year 2.
2. Make a compelling personal reasons claim for them to disregard year 2 due to depression to restore funding to degree + 0. You really need medical evidence i.e letter from P and uni.
I studied at De Montfort, I thought my credits were only valid for a year or two after.
Original post by 999tigger
That changes things. Even if you start by one day then that accesses funding and your current status is degree-1.

You have 2 options.

1. Seek a transfer of credits and start year 2.
2. Make a compelling personal reasons claim for them to disregard year 2 due to depression to restore funding to degree + 0. You really need medical evidence i.e letter from P and uni.

I started anti depressants just before I left so that would be on my medical report if I got a copy of that but I don't know if that would be evidence enough, I'll look into it thank you.
I started anti depressants just before I left so that would be on my medical report if I got a copy of that but I don't know if that would be evidence enough, I'll look into it thank you.

https://www.solent.ac.uk/finance/documents/how-to-apply-for-compelling-personal-reasons-and-discretionary-payments.pdf

need GP letter even if its just to confirm from medical records.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending