The Student Room Group

Accounting and Finance 2018 Applicants!!!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Faizanasif
Not really I don’t think. Plus its BA not Bsc which is the main reason I didn’t apply there

Makes no difference.
Original post by ehab2014
Ive heard title of degree doesnt matter in UK. Thats why some unis use BSc while others prefer BA for same programme.

Bsc is preferred more especially for accounting and finance because it is more maths based therefore more challenging.
Original post by √√√√
Makes no difference.

There definitely is. Have you done your research on course details for unis that offer Bsc and unis that do BA?
Original post by 04MR17
Bachelor of Arts and Bachelor of Science are of equal weighting.:yep:

BA are mainly those who haven’t done a level maths for example, that’s why for degrees such as economics for BA you don’t need A level maths whereas Bsc you do. However, although it doesn’t require a level maths for accounting and finance, if you haven’t done a level maths then it’s best to do BA, whereas if you have then Bsc is the one for you.
BA are mainly those who haven’t done a level maths for example, that’s why for degrees such as economics for BA you don’t need A level maths whereas Bsc you do. However, although it doesn’t require a level maths for accounting and finance, if you haven’t done a level maths then it’s best to do BA, whereas if you have then Bsc is the one for you.
While employers may value them differently, in general terms Bachelor of Arts and Bachelor of Science are of equal weighting.
Original post by 04MR17
While employers may value them differently, in general terms Bachelor of Arts and Bachelor of Science are of equal weighting.

Yes it may be, but this is the same for unis I’m that case. Employers would want those in highly ranked unis, same for this. You’re in a better position with Bsc than BA although yes it may be weighed the same, but employers would certainly want Bsc more than BA.
Yes it may be, but this is the same for unis I’m that case. Employers would want those in highly ranked unis, same for this. You’re in a better position with Bsc than BA although yes it may be weighed the same, but employers would certainly want Bsc more than BA.
This is different because university rankings exist (and are overused). Employers in the accounting and finance area may prefer a BSc, but it's more fluid than there being an easily googlable list of universities in that order. I'm not advising the user either way, I don't know enough about Accounting and Finance to do so, you've given your contribution, all I'm saying is that educationally, there is no disparity between a BA and a BSc as far as which is generally more valued.

If there is a distinction, it's metaphysical.

Lol, the Liverpool course and the PwC flying start are the two best AnF courses in the country in terms of number of exemptions.

Ba=Bsc for employers.
Original post by √√√√
Lol, the Liverpool course and the PwC flying start are the two best AnF courses in the country in terms of number of exemptions.

Ba=Bsc for employers.

Yes, this is because they have partnered with ICAEW. And it’s only exemptions from around 2 of the exams anyway, not sufficient enough to study there. And just because it has the highest number of exemptions doesn’t mean that it’s the best uni for accounting and finance. Looking at rankings Liverpool aren’t doing as well as many other great unis, although it is a good uni.

In terms of the degree yes, but it’s the content that is different and considered more respectable by employers. Basically btec and a level is technically considered the same value but one is more respectable than the other. That’s what I’m trying to get at.
Original post by 04MR17
This is different because university rankings exist (and are overused). Employers in the accounting and finance area may prefer a BSc, but it's more fluid than there being an easily googlable list of universities in that order. I'm not advising the user either way, I don't know enough about Accounting and Finance to do so, you've given your contribution, all I'm saying is that educationally, there is no disparity between a BA and a BSc as far as which is generally more valued.

If there is a distinction, it's metaphysical.

Yes I see what you mean by that. It makes more sense to do a Bsc than a BA for accounting and finance though, and employers know the difference between the two. For example, the modules in Bsc include quite a lot of modules with economics, whereas BA don’t have that. Doing a Bsc than a BA would therefore implicitly show that you’re being taught more analytically.
Yes, this is because they have partnered with ICAEW. And it’s only exemptions from around 2 of the exams anyway, not sufficient enough to study there. And just because it has the highest number of exemptions doesn’t mean that it’s the best uni for accounting and finance. Looking at rankings Liverpool aren’t doing as well as many other great unis, although it is a good uni.

In terms of the degree yes, but it’s the content that is different and considered more respectable by employers. Basically btec and a level is technically considered the same value but one is more respectable than the other. That’s what I’m trying to get at.

Exemptions from 12/15...
Original post by √√√√
Exemptions from 12/15...

Sorry I meant 2 more exams compared to other unis
Reply 92
Thank you for your help
Sorry I meant 2 more exams compared to other unis

Don't most unis have maximum of 8/15 papers exempted?
Yes I see what you mean by that. It makes more sense to do a Bsc than a BA for accounting and finance though, and employers know the difference between the two. For example, the modules in Bsc include quite a lot of modules with economics, whereas BA don’t have that. Doing a Bsc than a BA would therefore implicitly show that you’re being taught more analytically.

From what observed, only the universities that provide both BSc and BA for same course have difference in modules, thats too just BSc having couple more statistics courses than the BA. I don't such slight difference will have much affect on our chances of employability,however, employers maybe concerned with the no. Of papers we have completed so far.
Don't most unis have maximum of 8/15 papers exempted?

Oh yes I’ve heard that, hence I said around 2 because I’m not certain about numbers. However I don’t think it makes a massive difference anyway. As it is BA it is more essay based so maybe it consists of exemptions from those modules but I prefer to do Bsc due to the maths modules. I’m not saying don’t apply to BA, it just isn’t the one for me. I’m more on the analytic side of accounting whereas doing a BA removes most of those statistical modules. If you like essay based subjects then I’d recommend you do BA, but although it’s weighed the same it makes sense for employers to consider Bsc more due to this type of degree
From what observed, only the universities that provide both BSc and BA for same course have difference in modules, thats too just BSc having couple more statistics courses than the BA. I don't such slight difference will have much affect on our chances of employability,however, employers maybe concerned with the no. Of papers we have completed so far.

If you look at course details most in fact all the Bsc ones have introductory to micro and macro, then advanced. Those are the maths based modules that aren’t studied at Liverpool. And no they wouldn’t because to complete the ACA you still need to complete work experience, I think it’s 450 days. Plus the 4 exams that is has exempted from may not be the major ones anyway, so I wouldn’t go to Liverpool just because it has exemptions from 4 extra exams. Also if you do placements I heard some employers actually allow you to take ACA exams during that year
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 97
If I know it gets 12 exemptions , I would have applied . Didn't even look at it due to its low ranking.
Original post by BLMC
If I know it gets 12 exemptions , I would have applied . Didn't even look at it due to its low ranking.

I knew from the start and I didn’t apply haha. I feel it’s important to go to a highly ranked uni for the course instead of just going to a uni that has more exemptions
If you look at course details most in fact all the Bsc ones have introductory to micro and macro, then advanced. Those are the maths based modules that aren’t studied at Liverpool. And no they wouldn’t because to complete the ACA you still need to complete work experience, I think it’s 450 days. Plus the 4 exams that is has exempted from may not be the major ones anyway, so I wouldn’t go to Liverpool just because it has exemptions from 4 extra exams. Also if you do placements I heard some employers actually allow you to take ACA exams during that year

Yea, you are prolly right. Even I would prefer more analytical approach to the accounting (having chosen pre-engineering stream in A-level), however, Liverpool seems like the best option for me among all the unis from where I received conditional offer. Mainly due to its reputation, the fact it's a RG university and that it has 12 exemptions.

I can just hope this BSc and BA thing wouldnt hinder my employability chances 😂

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending