The Student Room Group

Feeling scared and worried at University.

I'm at QUB doing BSc Geography. I know it's only the first week and I've had a few lectures where I've made some decent (some not so much) notes. I don't really know what else to do now. Do I get the recommended textbooks and make better notes. I'm just not doing much outside of lectures - I really don't know what I am supposed to do (I know that sound stupid) I'm also doing a archaeology module and I don't really understand much of it, even though I've made notes. I'm beginning to get worried and feel scared. A bit of homesickness is thrown in there too. Should I contact my personal tutor or what? I really just need some good advice. I feel like I might fail if I don't do any work. I got AAB at A-Level. I'm really worried I won't meet that standard in first year. I think i'll tell my parents as well.
why dont you speak to your personal tutor for advice? they are the best to talk to about this stuff. if any problems arise sort them out now at the start of your degree. dont wait till they get bad
Original post by Mitt1
I'm at QUB doing BSc Geography. I know it's only the first week and I've had a few lectures where I've made some decent (some not so much) notes. I don't really know what else to do now. Do I get the recommended textbooks and make better notes. I'm just not doing much outside of lectures - I really don't know what I am supposed to do (I know that sound stupid) I'm also doing a archaeology module and I don't really understand much of it, even though I've made notes. I'm beginning to get worried and feel scared. A bit of homesickness is thrown in there too. Should I contact my personal tutor or what? I really just need some good advice. I feel like I might fail if I don't do any work. I got AAB at A-Level. I'm really worried I won't meet that standard in first year. I think i'll tell my parents as well.

I'd recommend asking your lecturers which books they would recommend the most (if they haven't already told you), and getting them from the library. If you're lacking notes on a topic or not fully understanding it, search through the contents and/or index of the books to find more information and pad out your notes. I think that contacting your personal tutor is a good idea, as they will have had students who were struggling with the transition to uni, increased workload etc before and will therefore be able to give you some advice on how to cope with it all :smile:
Original post by Leviathan1741
I'd recommend asking your lecturers which books they would recommend the most (if they haven't already told you), and getting them from the library. If you're lacking notes on a topic or not fully understanding it, search through the contents and/or index of the books to find more information and pad out your notes. I think that contacting your personal tutor is a good idea, as they will have had students who were struggling with the transition to uni, increased workload etc before and will therefore be able to give you some advice on how to cope with it all :smile:

First and foremost you need to be kind to yourself. We can only do our best at any given time or opportunity. When you give yourself time, the answers will come. With regard to assignments, read the sypnosis until you understand it, or google the question. Never doubt your ability to succeed, you are phenomenal, believe in yourself and the universe will mirror that belief.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Dominic Smith
First and foremost you need to be kind to yourself. We can only do our best at any given time or opportunity. When you give yourself time, the answers will come. With regard to assignments, read the sypnosis until you understand it, or google the question. Never doubt your ability to succeed, you are phenomenal, believe in yourself and the universe will mirror that belief.

Thank you for the kind words Dominic! I think you've quoted me by mistake though :smile:
Original post by Leviathan1741
Thank you for the kind words Dominic! I think you've quoted me by mistake though :smile:

Oh no, I am new on here, how do I reply to the post?
Original post by Dominic Smith
Oh no, I am new on here, how do I reply to the post?

Don't worry! To reply to the thread, you can either click the 'reply' button next to 'start new discussion' at the top of the thread, or to quote a specific users post (like you did when you quoted mine), click 'reply' in the bottom right corner of their post :smile:
First and foremost you need to be kind to yourself. We can only do our best at any given time or opportunity. When you give yourself time, the answers will come. With regard to assignments I would recommend reading the synopsis, if you don't understand it try googling the question. Never doubt your ability to succeed, you are phenomenal. Believe in yourself, and the universe will mirror that for you.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending