The Student Room Group

How do I get rid of my hyper-pigmentated acne?

The pictues shown aren't me, but I've provided evidence of what I am talking about.

Has anyone had any experience of getting rid of them? I've had mine for nearly 2 years and the buggers won't go away so I need some sort of treatment.
Reply 1
Original post by Anonymous
The pictues shown aren't me, but I've provided evidence of what I am talking about.

Has anyone had any experience of getting rid of them? I've had mine for nearly 2 years and the buggers won't go away so I need some sort of treatment.

Pictures aren't popping up.

go see a doctor?
Reply 3
There's a lot you can do. I'd recommend checking out the subreddits SkincareAddiction and SkincareAddictionUK - they have a wealth of knowledge.

At the very least though, you should be wearing, SPF30 minimum (and make sure it's photostable and broadspectrum!). This will help prevent the hyperpigmentation getting any darker.

Also, it might be PIE - or Post-inflammatory Erythema. The easiest way to tell the difference is to press on the areas and if it blanches (goes white) it'll more likely be PIE than PIH (also, PIE is more common in those with fairer skin, but can happen to people with deeper skin tones, and vice versa). For the most part though, the methods of treatment for PIH are largely the same as PIE, but it'll take longer to go away than PIH will.
Reply 4
Original post by Pathway
There's a lot you can do. I'd recommend checking out the subreddits SkincareAddiction and SkincareAddictionUK - they have a wealth of knowledge.

At the very least though, you should be wearing, SPF30 minimum (and make sure it's photostable and broadspectrum!). This will help prevent the hyperpigmentation getting any darker.

Also, it might be PIE - or Post-inflammatory Erythema. The easiest way to tell the difference is to press on the areas and if it blanches (goes white) it'll more likely be PIE than PIH (also, PIE is more common in those with fairer skin, but can happen to people with deeper skin tones, and vice versa). For the most part though, the methods of treatment for PIH are largely the same as PIE, but it'll take longer to go away than PIH will.

I haven't been wearing any SPF stuff! Maybe that's why it's not going away. I've been avoiding wearing sun screen because I thought it would make my acne worse as it is quite greasy - is that the case?

What's the method with PIE or PIH (I will be checking out the website you suggested too)? I'll put a link of an example of what my hyper-pigmentated scars look like (an online image example): https://www.bing.com/images/search?view=detailV2&ccid=4EiCrHTI&id=42200F9B9FE00C787E67B08E745C854147F941F8&thid=OIP.4EiCrHTIQ5Qms3n1YvI08wEsD7&q=hyperpigmentation+acne&simid=608042352969712510&selectedIndex=9&ajaxhist=0

Original post by BionicPinkyBear
go see a doctor?
I'm going to go see a GP, but it takes months to go see one - when they do offer a treatment, and I try it out for a few months I would just have to wait months again to start the whole process again. I'm considering booking private, but I'm checking TSR first for quicker advice and if anyone has had any experience of it.
I'm going to go see a GP, but it takes months to go see one - when they do offer a treatment, and I try it out for a few months I would just have to wait months again to start the whole process again. I'm considering booking private, but I'm checking TSR first for quicker advice and if anyone has had any experience of it.

in general a lot of my asian relatives just put aloe vera gel on their faces i do too cuz apparently thats all out good for any skin maybe try that ? i havent had that condition tho i dont think so doctor is my main advice but aloe vera gel is pretty good if you wanna try a bit to test it out?
Reply 6
I haven't been wearing any SPF stuff! Maybe that's why it's not going away. I've been avoiding wearing sun screen because I thought it would make my acne worse as it is quite greasy - is that the case?

What's the method with PIE or PIH (I will be checking out the website you suggested too)? I'll put a link of an example of what my hyper-pigmentated scars look like (an online image example): https://www.bing.com/images/search?view=detailV2&ccid=4EiCrHTI&id=42200F9B9FE00C787E67B08E745C854147F941F8&thid=OIP.4EiCrHTIQ5Qms3n1YvI08wEsD7&q=hyperpigmentation+acne&simid=608042352969712510&selectedIndex=9&ajaxhist=0

Depends. Anything can make anyone break out essentially, that's why you should patch test any new product. Some people are allergic to fairly benign things like vaseline, others aren't. But definitely head over to those subreddits - they can help you see where you're going wrong with your routine.

As always though, when it's something health related, see your doctor. Go private if you're able to afford it. I'd still use those subreddits though, they tend to get very science-y and explain why ingredients may (or may not) work. And also which ingredients may conflict, or cause photosensitivity. etc.

Quick Reply

Latest