The Student Room Group

Should I ask this girl out?

I'm in my last year of uni and there's this girl I met last year that I have recently started talking to again. Wet speak that much last year and only saw each other around 10 times. We saw each other on a dating app and spoke on there for a while but that stopped when I deleted the app. I was quite quiet last year and didn't talk much but this year I am more confident and am talking a lot more. This year I think we will be seeing a lot more of each other. We saw each other today and were talking for quite a while and I'll be seeing her tomorrow aswell.

The thing is, is that she is way out of my league. She looks amazing, is smart, funny and kind yet I am quite average. I want to ask her out for a drink after we've spoke a few more times but it will be quite awkward if she says no since we will need to continue to see each other. What do you think I should do? Does anyone have any advice? Thank you

Scroll to see replies

pfft a pleb worrying about leagues.... here's my advice:JUST.DO.IT! and have no regrets......
Reply 2
Forget the leagues, what's your instinct, is she up for it? If there is some encouragement just go for it. You're right it's never quite the same after a rejection but it's not the end of the world either.
Reply 3
Original post by Zarek
Forget the leagues, what's your instinct, is she up for it? If there is some encouragement just go for it. You're right it's never quite the same after a rejection but it's not the end of the world either.

The thing is, I've never been in a relationship so I don't know if she would be up for it of not and I don't really know if there's any encouragement or if she's just being friendly
Well if you spoke on a dating app then there must have been some interest in that regard for both of you, otherwise why tf would both of you continue for a bit.
Original post by Jack123210
The thing is, I've never been in a relationship so I don't know if she would be up for it of not and I don't really know if there's any encouragement or if she's just being friendly

The thing is, you never will be in a relationship if you dont ask anyone out.

Threads like these don't need huge OPs or backstories. Just "Should I ask them out?" The answer is always yes.

If they are taken or not interested they will say. If they say yes then go on a date. It's really not difficult.
Reply 6
Original post by Guru Jason
The thing is, you never will be in a relationship if you dont ask anyone out.

Threads like these don't need huge OPs or backstories. Just "Should I ask them out?" The answer is always yes.

If they are taken or not interested they will say. If they say yes then go on a date. It's really not difficult.

Yeah it's just every time I've asked someone out the answer has always been no and I have to see this person a few times a week so I don't want things to be awkward with us if she says no
Reply 7
Original post by QuentinM
Well if you spoke on a dating app then there must have been some interest in that regard for both of you, otherwise why tf would both of you continue for a bit.

We only spoke for just over a week and a half on the app and she might have just spoke to me because we knew each other
Reply 8
Yeah it's just every time I've asked someone out the answer has always been no and I have to see this person a few times a week so I don't want things to be awkward with us if she says no

If it's awkward, it's awkward. That's the risk you take.

1) You're already acting as if she turned you down. Show some confidence.

2) It will only be awkward if you make it awkward. I once asked out my work colleague and got rejected. I now have to sit next to that person every day and it's fine between us. If you mature about it, it'll be fine.
yes
Reply 11
Original post by Guru Jason
1) You're already acting as if she turned you down. Show some confidence.

2) It will only be awkward if you make it awkward. I once asked out my work colleague and got rejected. I now have to sit next to that person every day and it's fine between us. If you mature about it, it'll be fine.

Yeah confidence is always something I've struggled with
Reply 12
Ok if I do decide to ask her out should I wait until we've spoke a lot more so wait a few weeks or just do it quite soon?
Jack, this is my truth about life: if you don't ask, you don't get. The worst she can say is no - and no you don't have to feel awkward after. Should she say no, you can smile and say, 'No worries, I guess I'll see you around then.' And make sure you do not avoid eye contact in the future - always acknowledge her with a nod or a smile. It may feel scary to ask - but this applies to everything we do in life. Anything worth doing is not easy. Ask her. Good luck. ❤️
Ok if I do decide to ask her out should I wait until we've spoke a lot more so wait a few weeks or just do it quite soon?

Ask her sooner rather than later, wait too long and, if she is interested, she'll assume you're not and move on.

Don't worry about awkwardness, it's a drink, if she says no then that's fine, there shouldn't be any pressure. You're both adults and should be able to deal with it.

I was in a similar situation about a year and a half ago, I went straight in and told the girl I'd developed a crush on her, she said she didn't feel the same way and that was that, we kept hanging out and a couple of weeks later we were both able to laugh about it. I don't regret asking, life is a lot more fun when you're prepared to take risks!
Reply 15
Original post by Dr_Hope
Jack, this is my truth about life: if you don't ask, you don't get. The worst she can say is no - and no you don't have to feel awkward after. Should she say no, you can smile and say, 'No worries, I guess I'll see you around then.' And make sure you do not avoid eye contact in the future - always acknowledge her with a nod or a smile. It may feel scary to ask - but this applies to everything we do in life. Anything worth doing is not easy. Ask her. Good luck. ❤️

Yeah I know but I've had low confidence all my life so I struggle with just asking people out. The only times I've managed to actually do it I've been rejected so it's hard to do it again.
Reply 16
Original post by Perksy121
Ask her sooner rather than later, wait too long and, if she is interested, she'll assume you're not and move on.

Don't worry about awkwardness, it's a drink, if she says no then that's fine, there shouldn't be any pressure. You're both adults and should be able to deal with it.

I was in a similar situation about a year and a half ago, I went straight in and told the girl I'd developed a crush on her, she said she didn't feel the same way and that was that, we kept hanging out and a couple of weeks later we were both able to laugh about it. I don't regret asking, life is a lot more fun when you're prepared to take risks!

Yeah I know you're right but since we have a similar friendship group then I am worried all of the will find out if I ask her and she says no and I'd rather they didn't know
don't do this
Yeah I know you're right but since we have a similar friendship group then I am worried all of the will find out if I ask her and she says no and I'd rather they didn't know

Mate come on, who cares what they think? What are they really going to do? Make fun because you had the balls to ask her out?

You're not in school anymore.

Also, don't get hung up on "leagues", they're mostly BS anyway. My ex was well out of my league, we were together for a year before the distance became too much. You've just got to be brave enough to go for it!
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 19

The date is where you get to speak. Ask her out.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending