Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    understand there are lots of these threads BUT

needs:

- small screen-size / lightweight (commuting)

- intended use: writing notes (convenient keyboard is ideal) & browsing the internet (would like to use OneNote or a similar app - would this require storage? i'm not tech savvy!)

- budget: so long as it's good value for money, i'm not fussed (i am a student tho, so bear that in mind)

based on this, what are your recommendations? doesn't have to be a laptop either

any tips, too? e.g. getting an SSD card

thank you!
    • TSR Support Team
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lunaa.lovegood)

needs:

- intended use: writing notes (convenient keyboard is ideal) & browsing the internet (would like to use OneNote or a similar app - would this require storage? i'm not tech savvy!)

- budget: so long as it's good value for money, i'm not fussed (i am a student tho, so bear that in mind)

based on this, what are your recommendations? doesn't have to be a laptop either

thank you!
    Hey there!

Sorry to see you had no replies In future, feel free to tag me if you get no replies

To give us more of an idea of what laptop you want, could you fill out this form for us?
    • Reporter Team

ReputationRep:

needs:

thank you!
    Yeah, we need a budget. Telling us you're a student isn't really a decent benchmark when that spans the range of "I've only got £100 spare because the rest gets spent on strongbow" all the way through to "daddy's giving me £4000 because I'm not going skiing in the Alps this year".

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gofre)
    Yeah, we need a budget. Telling us you're a student isn't really a decent benchmark when that spans the range of "I've only got £100 spare because the rest gets spent on strongbow" all the way through to "daddy's giving me £4000 because I'm not going skiing in the Alps this year".
    i'll be paying for it myself, as always.

ideally, benchmark should be £500
    • Reporter Team

ReputationRep:
    i'll be paying for it myself, as always.

ideally, benchmark should be £500
    Your usage is pretty basic, so look for a sixth or seventh generation i3/i5 processor, 4-8GB of RAM and either a 500GB-1TB HDD or 128GB SSD (for the perceived benefits to performance, I'd go with the latter personally and buy a cheap 1TB portable hard drive for mass storage). You're probably going to be looking at the i3/4GB combination to fit that in under £500 if you also want the laptop to be small, as this is something that typically drives price up.

ReputationRep:
    I recommend a MacBook Pro.

ReputationRep:
    Chromebook will probably do the job you're looking for and they're cheaper than your normal laptops etc.
    • Reporter Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Knightoflogic)
    I recommend a MacBook Pro.
    OP's budget is £500.

ReputationRep:
    I have an ASUS Chromebook which doubles up as a tablet and I do all my work on that. I actually used to hav a Macbook Air before it broke, but I genuinely prefer this one.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gofre)
    OP's budget is £500.
    oops, I should have read that!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gofre)
    Your usage is pretty basic, so look for a sixth or seventh generation i3/i5 processor, 4-8GB of RAM and either a 500GB-1TB HDD or 128GB SSD (for the perceived benefits to performance, I'd go with the latter personally and buy a cheap 1TB portable hard drive for mass storage). You're probably going to be looking at the i3/4GB combination to fit that in under £500 if you also want the laptop to be small, as this is something that typically drives price up.

does 4gb ram refer to speed? would that combination be sufficient to save lots of files (a majority of which would be word documents)? sorry for all the qs!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by angelinahx)
    I have an ASUS Chromebook which doubles up as a tablet and I do all my work on that. I actually used to hav a Macbook Air before it broke, but I genuinely prefer this one.
    haha that is greaaat! which model is it?
    • Reporter Team

ReputationRep:
    does 4gb ram refer to speed? would that combination be sufficient to save lots of files (a majority of which would be word documents)? sorry for all the qs!
    RAM is what your computer uses for doing multiple things at once, more RAM means you can do more things at once without slowing down but having 8GB of RAM won't instantly make a computer faster than having 4GB if your usage is not exceeding 4GB of that RAM. It also has nothing to do with storage space, that's the hard drive. 500GB is absolutely plenty for most people not downloading loads of HAD movies, even 128GB is fine if all you're going to be storing is documents.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 16, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.