The Student Room Group

Desperate, help! What laptop/netbook/device?

understand there are lots of these threads BUT

needs:

- small screen-size / lightweight (commuting)

- intended use: writing notes (convenient keyboard is ideal) & browsing the internet (would like to use OneNote or a similar app - would this require storage? i'm not tech savvy!)

- budget: so long as it's good value for money, i'm not fussed (i am a student tho, so bear that in mind)

based on this, what are your recommendations? doesn't have to be a laptop either

any tips, too? e.g. getting an SSD card

thank you!
Original post by lunaa.lovegood

needs:

- intended use: writing notes (convenient keyboard is ideal) & browsing the internet (would like to use OneNote or a similar app - would this require storage? i'm not tech savvy!)

- budget: so long as it's good value for money, i'm not fussed (i am a student tho, so bear that in mind)

based on this, what are your recommendations? doesn't have to be a laptop either

thank you!

Hey there!

Sorry to see you had no replies :redface: In future, feel free to tag me if you get no replies :h:

To give us more of an idea of what laptop you want, could you fill out this form for us? :h:

needs:

thank you!

Yeah, we need a budget. Telling us you're a student isn't really a decent benchmark when that spans the range of "I've only got £100 spare because the rest gets spent on strongbow" all the way through to "daddy's giving me £4000 because I'm not going skiing in the Alps this year".
i'll be paying for it myself, as always.

ideally, benchmark should be £500
i'll be paying for it myself, as always.

ideally, benchmark should be £500

Your usage is pretty basic, so look for a sixth or seventh generation i3/i5 processor, 4-8GB of RAM and either a 500GB-1TB HDD or 128GB SSD (for the perceived benefits to performance, I'd go with the latter personally and buy a cheap 1TB portable hard drive for mass storage). You're probably going to be looking at the i3/4GB combination to fit that in under £500 if you also want the laptop to be small, as this is something that typically drives price up.
I recommend a MacBook Pro.
Reply 6
Chromebook will probably do the job you're looking for and they're cheaper than your normal laptops etc.
Original post by Knightoflogic
I recommend a MacBook Pro.

OP's budget is £500.
I have an ASUS Chromebook which doubles up as a tablet and I do all my work on that. I actually used to hav a Macbook Air before it broke, but I genuinely prefer this one.
oops, I should have read that!
does 4gb ram refer to speed? would that combination be sufficient to save lots of files (a majority of which would be word documents)? sorry for all the qs!
Original post by angelinahx
I have an ASUS Chromebook which doubles up as a tablet and I do all my work on that. I actually used to hav a Macbook Air before it broke, but I genuinely prefer this one.

haha that is greaaat! which model is it?
does 4gb ram refer to speed? would that combination be sufficient to save lots of files (a majority of which would be word documents)? sorry for all the qs!

RAM is what your computer uses for doing multiple things at once, more RAM means you can do more things at once without slowing down but having 8GB of RAM won't instantly make a computer faster than having 4GB if your usage is not exceeding 4GB of that RAM. It also has nothing to do with storage space, that's the hard drive. 500GB is absolutely plenty for most people not downloading loads of HAD movies, even 128GB is fine if all you're going to be storing is documents.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending